will-chope-ufc-fight-night-34

SINGAPORE – Will Chope found MMA while serving as an Air Force civil engineer in Guam, and quickly seized upon the sport as a way to make a fresh start.

Rather than invest his time at a super-gym in the U.S., he traveled to around the world to sharpen his skills as a professional fighter. He’s served stints in Phillipines, Tawain, Malaysia, and Thailand, where he’s made a permanent home.

“You’ve got all these tiny gyms hidden around the country, and they’re still just as good as gyms in America,” said Chope, who meets Max Holloway on the preliminary card of UFC Fight Night 34, which streams on UFC Fight Pass.

In the past three years, the 6-foot-4 Chope has stood out not only with his gangly frame, but his willingness to fight. He said he’s racked up 52 fights in muay Thai, K-1 kickboxing and MMA.

Of course, there were lessons learned along the way, some of them hard ones. He was self-managed for much of his career and accepted bouts with heavier opponents.

“I lost a lot of fights, and had a lot of mismatches, but it was a good idea at the time,” Chope said.

Chope (19-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) found his stride after he learned how to cut weight. Now fighting at 145 pounds, he’s won his past 14 bouts in MMA (12 of them in the first round) and earned a fight with young standout Max Holloway (7-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC), who looks to rebound from a recent loss to red-hot prospect Conor McGregor.

“A lot of people don’t think I’m ready for the UFC, since I just started three and a half years ago,” Chope said. “But I feel like if I can win this fight, I can show everybody that I belong.”

Fans can expect “lanky madness” when they see the two square off in the octagon, said Chope, who favors the striking game after years of training in kickboxing.

And whether or not he wins, the UFC newcomer said he’s still willing to take whatever bout the UFC offers. A fight every month would not be too much.

“I don’t fight for money, but now that I have my family, UFC gives me that security,” Chope said. “I’m making enough money from sponsors that I’m just trying to focus on the UFC. I still want to fight as much as I can, but we’ll see what the UFC thinks about that.”

While it’s unlikely the UFC will allow him to take bouts outside the promotion, he plans to stay in Thailand, where he has a wife and son.

“There’s no better muay Thai fighters than the Thais,” Chope said. “And there’s foreigners traveling to Thailand year-round, and you’ve got people learning muay Thai, but at the same time, they’re doing jiu-jitsu and wrestling. So I pick up a lot, and I get to train with guys from around the world.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 34, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC on FOX 23 results: Newcomer Jordan Johnson wrestles way to sweep of Luis Henrique da Silva

DENVER – Against Jordan Johnson, Luis Henrique da Silva began his night standing up, and thanks only to the practice of official post-fight announcements, he got to end it there too.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC's Mickey Gall on surge of callouts: I hope all the 'idiots' keep saying my name

Mickey Gall found his way to the UFC by using his mouth to call out Phil “CM Punk” Brooks. It worked.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Omielanczuk Found to be 'Without Fault' After Testing Positive in UFC Anti-Doping Case | MMAWeekly.com

USADA announced on Monday that UFC athlete Daniel Omielanczuk has tested positive for a prohibited substance, but found "without fault." read news >>

UFC 208's Jarred Brooks (sorta) denies using slur toward UFC 208 opponent Ian McCall

Veteran flyweight Ian McCall may be fighting UFC newcomer Jarred Brooks on tonight’s UFC 208 preliminary card, but the heat between the two is main card-worthy.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Indiana newcomer Jarred Brooks in for Neil Seery vs. Ian McCall at UFC 208 in Brooklyn

A day after undergoing a big change to his fight, which is becoming a familiar refrain for him, Ian McCall has a new opponent for UFC 208. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 results: Newcomer Volkan Oezdemir takes split from Ovince Saint Preux

HOUSTON – Volkan Oezdemir started strong against Ovince Saint Preux, but was doing good just to remain standing by the time the fight ended. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

See How Volkan Oezdemir Edged Out Ovince Saint Preux (UFC Houston Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

See how Octagon newcomer Volkan Oezdemir edged out Ovince Saint Preux at UFC Fight Night 104 in Houston. read news >>

After upsetting Ovince Saint Preux, what's next for Swiss newcomer Volkan Oezdemir?

HOUSTON – UFC newcomer Volkan Oezdemir caught many people off guard when he upset Ovince Saint Preux on Saturday at UFC Fight Night 104.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gavin Tucker Keeps Unbeaten Streak Intact (UFC Halifax Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC newcomer Gavin Tucker kept his unbeaten streak intact by defeating Sam Sicilia at UFC Fight Night 105 on Sunday in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 results: Thiago Santos finishes Jack Marshman with spinning heel kick

HALIFAX – Thiago Santos found himself in a firefight with the heavy-hitting Jack Marshman in the first round, so he reached for a more powerful weapon in the second. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>