Two years to the day from his last victory, UFC heavyweight Christian Morecraft on Tuesday announced his MMA retirement.
Morecraft (7-3 MMA, 1-3 UFC), of Hyannis, Mass., exits the sport on a two-fight skid. The 26-year-old, 6-foot-6 fighter started his career 6-0 before signing with the UFC.
“Competing in the UFC is a tough job on many different levels – getting better staying focused and all the other s— that life brings to you and not to mention I still have to work a full time job to support yourself in the mean time,” Morecraft stated in a Facebook post, as reported by the Boston Herald. “There’s plenty of ‘ex professional athletes’ out there who are lost, broke and jobless when competing is over, so with that being said trying to find an easier way to make a living and most importantly be happy … I’m saying GOODBYE TO THE FIGHT BUISINESS for right now.
“Nothing’s set in stone because we all know that nothing in life is, but for now I’ve got some other matters to take care of. Thank you all for your support over the years. Thank you and god bless everyone.”
Morecraft made his UFC debut at UFC 117 and was stopped just 22 seconds into the second round by Stefan Struve in a knockout. Prior to that loss, all six of his pro fights – all in his home state of Massachusetts – had come by way of first-round stoppage, averaging 1:25 of fight time.
He rebounded from that loss with what would be his lone win in the UFC on March 26, 2011, when he submitted Sean McCorkle in Seattle. But three months later, Matt Mitrione stopped him with a walk-off second-round knockout. And six months after that, Pat Barry knocked him out at UFC on FX 1 – though he did pick up a $45,000 bonus check for the event’s “Fight of the Night,” thanks to having Barry in trouble earlier in the first round with an armbar.
But in September of this past year, Morecraft ran into trouble with an arrest for suspicion of driving while intoxicated. And without a fight booked, and apparently with reservations in recent months about continuing his fighting career, he made the decision to hang up the gloves.view original article >>
Newly signed Bellator fighter Valerie Letourneau announced her first fight with the promotion on Monday and laid our her timeline for retirement. read news >>
Nik Lentz today announced he’s no longer a part of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla., ending a five-year relationship with the famed MMA training center.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Vitor Belfort has unveiled his UFC retirement plan, putting the wraps on a career that has spanned more than two decades. read news >>
The UFC is introducing a 12th weight class as the promotion announced today that “The Ultimate Fighter 26” will culminate with the crowning of the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under read news >>
As Conor McGregor previously announced, his SBG Ireland teammate will compete at UFC Fight Night 113 in Scotland.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
A new division will be created and a new champion will emerge from the next season of The Ultimate Fighter. read news >>
Ryan Bader said he was far less caught off guard than most by the surprise retirement of Anthony Johnson following his UFC 210 title-fight loss to Daniel Cormier last month.Filed under: Bellator, New read news >>
Dana White will host a Summer Kickoff press conference with some of the athletes from UFC 212 through UFC 214. read news >>
With Anderson Silva recently threatening retirement, UFC president Dana White said that the former champ probably should just go ahead and do it. read news >>
UFC announced the appointments of Bo Sandoval as Director of Strength & Conditioning and Clint Wattenberg as Director of Nutrition for the UFC Performance Institute, respectively. read news >>