EDMONTON – As of Wednesday, UFC executive David Shaw said UFC 215 was on the “verge of a sellout” with just a few hundred tickets remaining for the pay-per-view event at Rogers Place.
Of course, that was before UFC flyweight title challenger Ray Borg fell ill, forcing officials to cancel the pay-per-view event’s headliner just a few hours before Borg (11-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) was scheduled to hit the scale with champ Demetrious Johnson (26-2-1 MMA, 14-1-1 UFC). A women’s bantamweight title rematch between champ Amanda Nunes (14-4 MMA, 7-1 UFC) and Valentina Shevchenko (14-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is the new main event.
Whether UFC 215 remains a sellout in the wake of refund offers is anyone’s guess. But Shaw is still bullish on the promotion’s prospects for its first trip to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Part of Shaw’s job is managing the UFC’s pay-per-view business, and while many fans feel Canada has gotten the short end of the stick since ex-welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre stepped away from the sport, he thinks the country is still an MMA mecca.
Opening a new market in Edmonton is just another step in the promotion’s goal of keeping the UFC’s Canadian business humming.
“First and foremost, we know there are a tons of fans here,” Shaw told MMAjunkie. “We can tell from pay-per-view buyrates, commercial locations – we have a few gyms here. Coming to Edmonton is a no-brainer, especially with this unbelievable facility.”
Rogers Place holds close to 20,000 fans and is the city’s premier destination for sporting events. UFC 215’s main card airs live on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Interestingly, Shaw said the shadow cast by ex-UFC heavyweight Tim Hague’s death, still under investigation by the Edmonton Combative Sports Commission, did not change the way the promotion approached health and safety concerns. He cited UFC VP of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner’s diligence in dealing with regulatory issues and didn’t mention any additional concerns.
“For us, it’s no worries at all,” Shaw said. “It’s not like this conversation with the commission started earlier this week. We’ve been speaking them for many, many months, so it’s business as usual for us.”
There’s a bit of irony in that statement as the promotion suffers another last-minute withdrawal to one of its pay-per-view events. But with a bit of luck, the show will still deliver.view original article >>
Based on a hospital-bed picture, Gokhan Saki remains in good spirits despite his recent removal from next month’s UFC 219 card.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
Dustin Poirier left a recent UFC headliner with a sore neck, but if it weren’t for Mike Brown, he could’ve left with a loss too.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>
While the UFC lightweight division remains in limbo, champion Conor McGregor has been fielding multiple challenges from the boxing world.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
UFC executive Kevin Chang believes it was a “very successful” debut for the promotion in Shanghai. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Jared Cannonier remains humble ahead of UFC on FOX 26 and says he “ain’t got no time” to be fake with bold claims and outrageous actions.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
The UFC is taking its time in determining what happened during the altercation between Fabricio Werdum and Colby Covington in Sydney.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
The UFC light heavyweight contender remains in custody on $10,000 bond read news >>
UFC fighter Volkan Oezdemir has issued a statement through his management team following his recent arrest.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum isn't taking Marcin Tybura lightly as he explains that every heavyweight fight is dangerous. read news >>
Fabricio Werdum makes his case for why he deserves the next shot at Stipe Miocic with a win at UFC-Sydney.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>