#Bellator 194 #Matt Mitrione #Roy Nelson #Chicago #UFC 221 #Conor McGregor #Yoel Romero #Luke Rockhold #UFC Fight Night 126

UFC dreams, big talk, ground-game execution at center of LFA 14's championship doubleheader

When it’s all said and done, two men will walk out of LFA 14 with gold around their waste, an impressive addition to their resume as they try to climb the ranks.

The headliner will crown the organization’s inaugural middleweight champion as Brendan Allen (7-1), a former Legacy FC fighter who’s riding a five-fight winning streak with five stoppages, takes on Eryk Anders (7-0), a former University of Alabama football player who’s 7-0 with six stoppages since turning pro in 2015.

LFA 14 takes place tonight from Arena Theatre in Houston and airs live on AXS TV at 9 p.m. ET.

In the co-headliner, a flyweight champ will be crowned. Jerome Rivera (7-0), a submission specialist who defeated Zac Riley at LFA 10, takes on Roberto Sanchez (6-0), a longtime Legacy FC fighter who was recently featured on “Dana White: Lookin’ for a Fight.”  He’s won his past five fights via submission.

For Anders, he recognizes what’s at stake and the importance of a big finish to win an LFA title belt.

“It’s a really special opportunity,” Anders said. “LFA is a big feeder into the UFC. Usually their title holders get a shot at the UFC. So (if) I go out there, do what I’m supposed to do, end the fight in devastating fashion as I’m accustomed to doing, there’s no doubt I’ll get that opportunity in the near-future.”

Allen, though, has other plans in mind and doesn’t care about Anders’ past as a college football standout.

“This is MMA; this isn’t football,” Allen said. “I’m going to go out there, make it look easy, solidify that I’m the best 185-pounder on the roster.”

Sanchez-Rivera is an intriguing contest in that both men possess excellent wrestling and jiu-jitsu. It’s not if, but a matter of when this fight will hit the mat, and both men expect it.

“I don’t think anyone at 125 can match me on the ground,” Sanchez said. “It doesn’t matter who you put in front of me. I try to take them to the ground and grapple with them. For the most part no one wants to grapple with me. They try to stand back up. We’ll see what he does.”

Said Rivera: “I try to wrestle people. I try to beat people up with the ground-and-pound and stuff like that. I feel like that’s the difference in my jiu-jitsu game, and I feel like my ground-and-pound will make a difference when we hit the ground.”

To hear more from the four title contenders, check out the videos above and below.

And for more on LFA 14, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

UFC Fighter Francisco Rivera Presents Falsified Documents to USADA, Gets 4-Year Ban | MMAWeekly.com

UFC fighter Francisco Rivera has been handed a four-year suspension after he provided falsified documents to USADA. read news >>

UFC 220 ceremonial weigh-ins highlight: Daniel Cormier gets in close on Volkan Oezdemir

Daniel Cormier appeared eager to get at Volkan Oezdemir before he defends his light heavyweight title at UFC 220. read news >>

USADA hands UFC's Francisco Rivera four-year suspension

Bantamweight Francisco Rivera is the second fighter since the UFC formed its relationship with the USADA to get a four-year suspension. read news >>

Does UFC have backup plan for Ferguson-Nurmagomedov? Not right now, Dana White says

Despite three previously canceled bouts between the two, there currently is no fighter on standby for Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223. read news >>

Former UFC Fighter Isaac Vallie-Flagg Arrested in New Mexico | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC fighter Isaac Vallie-Flagg was arrested by Sandoval County sheriffs in New Mexico on Friday. According to a report from the sheriff’s department via Facebook, Vallie-Flagg, 39, was apprehe read news >>

UFC 220 ceremonial weigh-in video highlights, photos: Are you ready for two big title fights?

Check out our exclusive ceremonial weigh-ins photo gallery and highlights video from UFC 220 in Boston. read news >>

UFC 220's Thomas Almeida knows he needs to snap losing skid with knockout

Four fights into his UFC career, bantamweight Thomas Almeida was the next big thing. Then he ran into the next champ, and he was forced back to the drawing board. read news >>

UFC 220 Inside the Octagon Preview: Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou | MMAWeekly.com

John Gooden and Dan Hardy give you a full breakdown of the heavyweight title bout going down at UFC 220 between champ Stipe Miocic and Francis Ngannou. read news >>

Dana White weighs in on Francis Ngannou calling Donald Trump 'the shame of America'

UFC President Dana White isn’t surprised by Francis Ngannou’s negative opinion of Donald Trump. read news >>

Knockout Radio Podcast: Luke Rockhold, Jon Jones, and UFC 220 Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Join Knockout Radio for their Jan. 17 podcast as the crew previews UFC 220, discusses Luke Rockhold and Jon Jones, and covers all the latest MMA news. read news >>