#UFC Fight Night 126 #Conor McGregor #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #Derrick Lewis #UFC Fight Night 57 #UFC Australia #Sage Northcutt

UFC contract winner Lauren Mueller on how failed 'TUF 26' bid helped her be ready for DWCS 8

LAS VEGAS – Lauren Mueller was only three fights into her professional MMA career when she took on a Dana White’s Contender Series 8 bout above her weight division.

The result of the meeting with Kelly Velasco (2-2) was a display dominant enough to earn her not only the unanimous nod, but a UFC contract. As earned as it was, though, is Mueller (4-0) at all concerned about her relative lack of experience as she prepares for the big stage?

“Absolutely not,” Mueller told MMAjunkie after the bantamweight scrap, which streamed live on UFC Fight Pass from The Ultimate Fighter Gym in Las Vegas. “I train with the best in the world out of Alliance. All my teammates push me hard every day, (and) my head coach, Eric Del Fierro. I felt confident, and I felt ready for this opportunity.”

Mueller has reasons to feel confident. While she’s yet to perform on the big stage, she’s surrounded by UFC names like former 135-pound title challenger Cat Zingano, as well as former 115-pound challenger Jessica Penne and former Invicta FC champ Angela Hill.

This wasn’t Mueller’s first stab at an octagon shot, though. The fighter, who actually competes at flyweight, took part in the tryouts for “The Ultimate Fighter 26” – which will determine the UFC’s inaugural women’s 125-pound titleholder.

Mueller, who’s had all her three (victorious) pro bouts for Gladiator Challenge, didn’t make it into the “TUF” house. But having impressed enough to make it far, she says it wasn’t entirely a lost experience.

“I tried out for ‘TUF’ and they made me an alternate, so that actually worked for my advantage,” Mueller said. “Because this whole time, the whole six weeks those girls were fighting for ‘TUF,’ I was still training in hopes to get on the show. So I was ready to go when I got the call for this.”

As for her UFC debut, Mueller is willing to step in whenever the promotion sees fit. And she’s not particularly concerned with who will be standing in the opposite corner when it happens.

“I’m able to go anywhere in a fight, so whatever they give me,” Mueller said. “I’m stoked.”

To hear more from Mueller, check out the video above.

And for more on DWCS 8, check out the MMA Events section of the site.

Comments

Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier Official for UFC 226 After Coaching on TUF 27 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White will get his wish after all. On Friday it was announced that heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic will compete in a super fight against light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier read news >>

UFC Reveals TUF 27 Cast; Announces Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier as Coaches | MMAWeekly.com

The 27th season of The Ultimate Fighter will see UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic coach opposite light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier. read news >>

Dana White 'Wouldn't Be Shocked' to See Brock Lesnar Return for UFC Fight

Although Brock Lesnar remains under contract with WWE, UFC President Dana White said Wednesday on FS1's UFC Tonight that he could see the WWE Universal champion potentially stepping back into the Oct read news >>

Anderson Silva Says Failed Drug Test Due to Contaminated Supplements

• a day ago

UFC star Anderson Silva said he didn't knowingly use the two substances flagged by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency during a drug test last October. Silva told TMZ Sports his lawyers are evaluating the ve read news >>

How Cory Sandhagen's sole pro loss helped him become 'mental monster' of stellar UFC debut

UFC featherweight Cory Sandhagen loves his in-your-face style, but admits one aspect needs work: “When I’m beating someone up kind of bad, I lose a little bit of respect for them.” read news >>

Anderson Silva: Making Sense of UFC Great's Legacy After 2nd Failed Drug Test

Anderson Silva's fighting career—at least as we know it—may already be over. Details of Silva's second failed drug test emerged this week, casting his future into peril. The former UFC middleweight c read news >>

UFC 221's Mark Hunt to leave UFC after finishing contract: 'I haven't had a good run'

Mark Hunt, 43, has a tentative retirement plan in place, and it doesn’t include hanging up his gloves as a member of the UFC roster. read news >>

On last fight of contract, Curtis Blaydes wants 'decent offer,' will entertain Bellator

UFC 221’s Curtis Blaydes explains why he wants a pay bump with his next contract, and why he’ll entertain offers from other promotions if he doesn’t get one. read news >>

Miocic and Cormier to coach TUF, Fight in July

The highly anticipated 27th season of The Ultimate Fighter® will see UFC® heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic coach opposite light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier. read news >>

UFC 219's Michal Oleksiejczuk notified of potential anti-doping violation

UFC 219 fighter Michal Oleksiejczuk failed a USADA drug test and has been notified of a potential UFC anti-doping policy violation. read news >>