#UFC 214 #Jon Jones #Daniel Cormier #Conor McGregor #Robbie Lawler #Tyron Woodley #Cris Cyborg #Nate Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Demian Maia #Floyd Mayweather #Alexander Gustafsson #UFC 202 #Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix 2017

Newly minted UFC women’s featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie believes she will undergo surgery on her hand but is waiting on the opinion of a doctor before she makes her final decision.

“The doctor told me it’s something I can’t avoid,” de Randamie said during a media teleconference arranged by the UFC. “I don’t want to have permanent damage, so that’s something I want to figure out, if I have to do it now or I can do it at a later stage.”

De Randamie (8-3 MMA, 4-1 UFC) appeared to put the new division on pause immediately after she outpointed Holly Holm(10-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at last Saturday’s UFC 208, announcing she would take time off to address her hand. But today, she put the decision on medical professionals to decide whether she can fight again in the near future.

“I’ve been so busy, so I still have to see a doctor again,” she said. “They will evaluate and see what the next step will be.”

Waiting on that news is Holm, who reportedly has appealed the bout’s result, and Cristiane Justino (17-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC), who’s said she won’t wait for the champ to heal and believes she’s the No. 1 contender to the new belt if she gets cleared by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

Holm’s appeal asks the overseeing New York State Athletic Commission to review referee Todd Anderson’s performance after neither of two late punches in the second and third rounds didn’t receive a point deduction. As of Thursday afternoon, the NYSAC told MMAjunkie that no appeal has been received. De Randamie, however, said she and Holm should settle the matter in the octagon.

“If Holly feels like the point deductions are the reason she lost, and she’s looking to make a no-contest or a draw, she should simply accept the offer that I put out,” de Randamie said.

De Randamie denied Holm’s claim that her late punches were intentional, explaining she was in the middle of throwing combinations when both incidents occurred.

“Sometimes when you’re in the heat of the moment, you’re in the fight,” she said. “You get hit, and you hit somebody. It was absolutely never intentional, and that’s what upsets me me so much, people saying I’m a dirty fighter. But I’m not a dirty fighter. It really hurts me when people say that. I truly respect Holly, the UFC and Holly’s camp. It’s sad that things like this have happened.”

“Cyborg” did not take kindly to De Randamie’s decision to defer to her doctor, posting on Twitter during the teleconference.

But the champ denied she is avoiding a bout with “Cyborg,” who was supposed to fight for the title at UFC 208 before health complications ruled her out and a failed out-of-competition drug test upended her career.

“Honestly, I don’t take it personal,” de Randamie said. “I know I’m not afraid, and I will fight everybody.”

She later added: “If you get the chance to fight for a UFC belt, you’re going to fight whoever they put in front of you. Only a crazy person would say no.”

Asked by MMAjunkie what she’d do differently in a rematch with Holm, de Randamie said she would take steps to avoid the situation that resulted from their first bout. Hearing critics accuse of her being a dirty fighter was not the reception she hoped for in winning the title.

“I would be very careful of listening to the bell, because I don’t ever want this to happen again,” de Randamie said. “I would be very carefully listening if I can hear the bell, and if I can hear the click-click of the blocks during the last 10 seconds. I’ll probably dance around and move away from Holly, so we don’t have this controversy.”

For complete coverage of UFC 208, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Germaine de Randamie Fights

• 6 months ago

Comments

Retired Brock Lesnar would fight fellow ex-UFC champ Jon Jones 'anytime, anywhere'

A future fight between former UFC champions Brock Lesnar and Jon Jones seems to have some legs, even if a significant number of hurdles need to be cleared beforehand.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Brock Lesnar Responds to Potential Super Fight with Jon Jones | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones may have awoken a sleeping giant. On Tuesday during a Facebook Live chat with fans, Jones was asked about his interest in a potential matchup with Lesn read news >>

UFC 214's Tonya Evinger believes she's about to prove you wrong by beating 'Cyborg'

LOS ANGELES – The odds are stacked against Tonya Evinger in a big way on Saturday against Cristiane Justino. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

'Cyborg' Justino holds no ill will toward ex-UFC champ Ronda Rousey despite past beef

Can they ever smooth things over in person? “Cyborg” Justino says “maybe one day.”Filed under: Blue Corner, News, Videos read news >>

Cris Cyborg on Ronda Rousey and Germaine de Randamie Ahead of UFC 214 (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino talked about her longstanding rivalry with Ronda Rousey and where their relationship stands in her UFC 214 Open Workout scrum with the media. She also declared that Germaine de read news >>

UFC champ Tyron Woodley declines comment on Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley doesn’t expect to get the fights he wants, so he’ll just beat whomever the UFC puts in front of him next.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 214 salaries: Now-former UFC champ Daniel Cormier earns $1 million; Jon Jones takes $500K

Daniel Cormier earned the biggest payout of Saturday’s UFC 214 despite losing his title to Jon Jones.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

With 'GSP' fight off table, UFC champ Tyron Woodley could rematch Robbie Lawler next

Tyron Woodley won’t fight Georges St-Pierre in his next title defense. Instead, Dana White thinks a rematch with Robbie Lawler makes sense.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Jon Jones vs. Brock Lesnar odds: Will it happen and who wins?

The lines have opened for a potential fight between newly crowned UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones and former heavyweight titleholder Brock Lesnar.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Tyron Woodley responds to Dana White's UFC 214 criticism with threat, demand for public apology

Tyron Woodley has threatened to “leak some sh*t” if he doesn’t get a public apology from Dana White.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>