#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Rizin 7 #Michael Bisping

Newly minted UFC women’s featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie believes she will undergo surgery on her hand but is waiting on the opinion of a doctor before she makes her final decision.

“The doctor told me it’s something I can’t avoid,” de Randamie said during a media teleconference arranged by the UFC. “I don’t want to have permanent damage, so that’s something I want to figure out, if I have to do it now or I can do it at a later stage.”

De Randamie (8-3 MMA, 4-1 UFC) appeared to put the new division on pause immediately after she outpointed Holly Holm(10-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at last Saturday’s UFC 208, announcing she would take time off to address her hand. But today, she put the decision on medical professionals to decide whether she can fight again in the near future.

“I’ve been so busy, so I still have to see a doctor again,” she said. “They will evaluate and see what the next step will be.”

Waiting on that news is Holm, who reportedly has appealed the bout’s result, and Cristiane Justino (17-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC), who’s said she won’t wait for the champ to heal and believes she’s the No. 1 contender to the new belt if she gets cleared by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

Holm’s appeal asks the overseeing New York State Athletic Commission to review referee Todd Anderson’s performance after neither of two late punches in the second and third rounds didn’t receive a point deduction. As of Thursday afternoon, the NYSAC told MMAjunkie that no appeal has been received. De Randamie, however, said she and Holm should settle the matter in the octagon.

“If Holly feels like the point deductions are the reason she lost, and she’s looking to make a no-contest or a draw, she should simply accept the offer that I put out,” de Randamie said.

De Randamie denied Holm’s claim that her late punches were intentional, explaining she was in the middle of throwing combinations when both incidents occurred.

“Sometimes when you’re in the heat of the moment, you’re in the fight,” she said. “You get hit, and you hit somebody. It was absolutely never intentional, and that’s what upsets me me so much, people saying I’m a dirty fighter. But I’m not a dirty fighter. It really hurts me when people say that. I truly respect Holly, the UFC and Holly’s camp. It’s sad that things like this have happened.”

“Cyborg” did not take kindly to De Randamie’s decision to defer to her doctor, posting on Twitter during the teleconference.

But the champ denied she is avoiding a bout with “Cyborg,” who was supposed to fight for the title at UFC 208 before health complications ruled her out and a failed out-of-competition drug test upended her career.

“Honestly, I don’t take it personal,” de Randamie said. “I know I’m not afraid, and I will fight everybody.”

She later added: “If you get the chance to fight for a UFC belt, you’re going to fight whoever they put in front of you. Only a crazy person would say no.”

Asked by MMAjunkie what she’d do differently in a rematch with Holm, de Randamie said she would take steps to avoid the situation that resulted from their first bout. Hearing critics accuse of her being a dirty fighter was not the reception she hoped for in winning the title.

“I would be very careful of listening to the bell, because I don’t ever want this to happen again,” de Randamie said. “I would be very carefully listening if I can hear the bell, and if I can hear the click-click of the blocks during the last 10 seconds. I’ll probably dance around and move away from Holly, so we don’t have this controversy.”

For complete coverage of UFC 208, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Germaine de Randamie Fights

• 8 months ago

Comments

Former UFC champ Germaine de Randamie cleared for return to training after hand surgery

Former UFC champion Germaine de Randamie has officially received clearance to return to training. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley Endorses a Ronda Rousey Move to WWE | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of TMZSports | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Ronda Rousey has been teasing a move away from her career in the UFC to a professional wrestling stint in the W read news >>

Tony Ferguson responds to Conor McGregor with perfect(ly odd) 'Grand Theft Auto' video on Twitter

Tony Ferguson’s video in response to UFC champion Conor McGregor might just blow your mind.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Evan Dunham is a Conor McGregor fan – but if anybody asks, Tony Ferguson is the UFC champ

After fighting Beneil Dariush to a majority draw at UFC 216, lightweight veteran Evan Dunham discusses the difficulties of making his way up in a jammed division.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, U read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre meet on the ice

The promotion continues for UFC 217’s headliner between middleweight champion Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

After UFC champ Cris Cyborg points to drug testing, Holly Holm points to scoreboard

• 7 hours ago

When it comes to UFC women’s featherweight champion Cris Cyborg, potential next opponent Holly Holm just wants to get real for a moment.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov to new interim UFC champ Tony Ferguson: 'You deserve this belt'

Khabib Nurmagomedov’s history with Tony Ferguson didn’t stop him from congratulating the new UFC interim lightweight champ.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier apologizes to Anthony Johnson: 'The reality is, I was wrong'

A few days after stirring up a social media back-and-forth, UFC champion Daniel Cormier thinks he shouldn’t have called Anthony Johnson soft: “Not everybody should view competition like I do.”Filed u read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Johny Hendricks opens up on move to Jackson Wink MMA

Former UFC welterweight champ Johny Hendricks knew he could no longer continue down the same path after his latest loss.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

New UFC champ Tony Ferguson: I'm going to expose Conor McGregor

The UFC’s new interim lightweight champ is willing to let Conor McGregor avoid a confrontation by vacating share of the title, but he’d rather deliver an ass-whooping to entertain the masses.Filed un read news >>