#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Terrion Ware #Tom Duquesnoy #Leon Edwards #Peter Sobotta #Paul Craig #Magomed Ankalaev #John Phillips #Charles Byrd #Danny Henry #Hakeem Dawodu

UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'

Newly minted UFC women’s featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie believes she will undergo surgery on her hand but is waiting on the opinion of a doctor before she makes her final decision.

“The doctor told me it’s something I can’t avoid,” de Randamie said during a media teleconference arranged by the UFC. “I don’t want to have permanent damage, so that’s something I want to figure out, if I have to do it now or I can do it at a later stage.”

De Randamie (8-3 MMA, 4-1 UFC) appeared to put the new division on pause immediately after she outpointed Holly Holm(10-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at last Saturday’s UFC 208, announcing she would take time off to address her hand. But today, she put the decision on medical professionals to decide whether she can fight again in the near future.

“I’ve been so busy, so I still have to see a doctor again,” she said. “They will evaluate and see what the next step will be.”

Waiting on that news is Holm, who reportedly has appealed the bout’s result, and Cristiane Justino (17-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC), who’s said she won’t wait for the champ to heal and believes she’s the No. 1 contender to the new belt if she gets cleared by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

Holm’s appeal asks the overseeing New York State Athletic Commission to review referee Todd Anderson’s performance after neither of two late punches in the second and third rounds didn’t receive a point deduction. As of Thursday afternoon, the NYSAC told MMAjunkie that no appeal has been received. De Randamie, however, said she and Holm should settle the matter in the octagon.

“If Holly feels like the point deductions are the reason she lost, and she’s looking to make a no-contest or a draw, she should simply accept the offer that I put out,” de Randamie said.

De Randamie denied Holm’s claim that her late punches were intentional, explaining she was in the middle of throwing combinations when both incidents occurred.

“Sometimes when you’re in the heat of the moment, you’re in the fight,” she said. “You get hit, and you hit somebody. It was absolutely never intentional, and that’s what upsets me me so much, people saying I’m a dirty fighter. But I’m not a dirty fighter. It really hurts me when people say that. I truly respect Holly, the UFC and Holly’s camp. It’s sad that things like this have happened.”

“Cyborg” did not take kindly to De Randamie’s decision to defer to her doctor, posting on Twitter during the teleconference.

But the champ denied she is avoiding a bout with “Cyborg,” who was supposed to fight for the title at UFC 208 before health complications ruled her out and a failed out-of-competition drug test upended her career.

“Honestly, I don’t take it personal,” de Randamie said. “I know I’m not afraid, and I will fight everybody.”

She later added: “If you get the chance to fight for a UFC belt, you’re going to fight whoever they put in front of you. Only a crazy person would say no.”

Asked by MMAjunkie what she’d do differently in a rematch with Holm, de Randamie said she would take steps to avoid the situation that resulted from their first bout. Hearing critics accuse of her being a dirty fighter was not the reception she hoped for in winning the title.

“I would be very careful of listening to the bell, because I don’t ever want this to happen again,” de Randamie said. “I would be very carefully listening if I can hear the bell, and if I can hear the click-click of the blocks during the last 10 seconds. I’ll probably dance around and move away from Holly, so we don’t have this controversy.”

For complete coverage of UFC 208, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Germaine de Randamie Fights

• a year ago

Sage Northcutt believes UFC-Austin win was deserving, plans to shore up mistakes

Sage Northcutt squeaked by Thibault Gouti with a unanimous decision and believes the difference was in the details. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28's Max Griffin: Mike Perry is 'a clown to me,' has confidence issues

Max Griffin believes in scientific measures of his ability to hang with Mike Perry and some less scientific ones. read news >>

B.J. Penn praises UFC champ Cris Cyborg, says 'door is always open' for his own return

UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn made a surprise appearance at UFC 222 open workouts as a guest grappling partner, though he’s not ruling out a return to the cage. read news >>

After five straight losses, ex-UFC champ Andrei Arlovski finally started listening

Andrei Arlovski’s career has stretched decades, but during his most recent fight, he heard something he hadn’t in a long time: his cornerman. read news >>

Jessica Andrade aims to be UFC champ in 2018, isn't counting on title shot after Tecia Torres bout

Jessica Andrade isn’t sure who will be next for a 115-pound title shot, but she hopes a big showing at UFC on FOX 28 will do the trick. read news >>

Marion Reneau has an idea for UFC matchmakers after beating Sara McMann at UFC on FOX 28

Marion Reneau believes beating Sara McMann at UFC on FOX 28 was essential in order to prove something to herself and everyone else. read news >>

Will Jon Jones Be Arrested This Year? There Are Betting Odds for That | MMAWeekly.com

Think former UFC champ Jon Jones might get arrested again this year? Well, now you can wager on whether or not he will, amongst other things. read news >>

Amanda Nunes blames timing for Cris Cyborg fight falling through, still open to it this summer

UFC champ Amanda Nunes didn’t get her wish to fight fellow champ Cris Cyborg, but she hasn’t given up just yet on the idea. read news >>

Unintimidated Yana Kunitskaya says UFC champ Cris Cyborg lacks true knockout power

From all indications, Yana Kunitskaya isn’t intimidated by Cris Cyborg’s untouchable aura ahead of their UFC 222 main event. read news >>

Cody Stamann believes UFC wants Bryan Caraway out, and 'I'm the only guy that can do it'

Cody Stamann says he’s part of the new guard at bantamweight, and the UFC wants him to push Bryan Caraway out of relevance at UFC 222. read news >>

Daily Debate: Who's next for UFC champ Cris Cyborg – Megan Anderson or Amanda Nunes?

As the Cris Cyborg Tour of Destruction shows no signs of slowing down, who’s next for the UFC women’s featherweight champion – Megan Anderson or Amanda Nunes? read news >>

Max Holloway Responds to Conor McGregor, Hints at Possible Move to Lightweight | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway responds to Conor McGregor's alleged offer to save UFC 222 and hints that his future may lie at lightweight sooner than expected. read news >>

Andre Soukhamthath Believes Bout with Sean O'Malley Could Be UFC 222 Fight of the Night | MMAWeekly.com

Andre Soukhamthath (12-5) will look to pick up his second straight win when he faces Sean O’Malley (9-0) in a main card 135-pound bout at UFC 222. read news >>

Michael Bisping again teases trilogy fight with fellow ex-UFC champ Luke Rockhold

Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold keep dancing around the possibility of a trilogy fight. Is it going to happen? read news >>

Daily Debate: If ex-UFC champ Georges St-Pierre returns, which division?

Is it only fitting that arguably the sport’s greatest 170-pounder fighter – Georges St-Pierre – remains in the weight class? read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Will Work with UFC Champ, Needs 6-8 Months of MMA Training

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley recently discussed on his TMZ segment Hollywood Beatdown (h/t Bloody Elbow's Milan Ordonez) how he's going to act as something of an MMA coach for Floyd Maywea read news >>

Search for: