#UFC on Fox 26 #Robbie Lawler #Rafael dos Anjos #Mike Perry #Santiago Ponzinibbio #Jared Cannonier #Ricardo Lamas #Josh Emmett #UFC 218 #Abel Trujillo #John Makdessi #Alessio Di Chirico #Oluwale Bamgbose #Glover Teixeira #Bellator 191

Newly minted UFC women’s featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie believes she will undergo surgery on her hand but is waiting on the opinion of a doctor before she makes her final decision.

“The doctor told me it’s something I can’t avoid,” de Randamie said during a media teleconference arranged by the UFC. “I don’t want to have permanent damage, so that’s something I want to figure out, if I have to do it now or I can do it at a later stage.”

De Randamie (8-3 MMA, 4-1 UFC) appeared to put the new division on pause immediately after she outpointed Holly Holm(10-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) at last Saturday’s UFC 208, announcing she would take time off to address her hand. But today, she put the decision on medical professionals to decide whether she can fight again in the near future.

“I’ve been so busy, so I still have to see a doctor again,” she said. “They will evaluate and see what the next step will be.”

Waiting on that news is Holm, who reportedly has appealed the bout’s result, and Cristiane Justino (17-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC), who’s said she won’t wait for the champ to heal and believes she’s the No. 1 contender to the new belt if she gets cleared by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

Holm’s appeal asks the overseeing New York State Athletic Commission to review referee Todd Anderson’s performance after neither of two late punches in the second and third rounds didn’t receive a point deduction. As of Thursday afternoon, the NYSAC told MMAjunkie that no appeal has been received. De Randamie, however, said she and Holm should settle the matter in the octagon.

“If Holly feels like the point deductions are the reason she lost, and she’s looking to make a no-contest or a draw, she should simply accept the offer that I put out,” de Randamie said.

De Randamie denied Holm’s claim that her late punches were intentional, explaining she was in the middle of throwing combinations when both incidents occurred.

“Sometimes when you’re in the heat of the moment, you’re in the fight,” she said. “You get hit, and you hit somebody. It was absolutely never intentional, and that’s what upsets me me so much, people saying I’m a dirty fighter. But I’m not a dirty fighter. It really hurts me when people say that. I truly respect Holly, the UFC and Holly’s camp. It’s sad that things like this have happened.”

“Cyborg” did not take kindly to De Randamie’s decision to defer to her doctor, posting on Twitter during the teleconference.

But the champ denied she is avoiding a bout with “Cyborg,” who was supposed to fight for the title at UFC 208 before health complications ruled her out and a failed out-of-competition drug test upended her career.

“Honestly, I don’t take it personal,” de Randamie said. “I know I’m not afraid, and I will fight everybody.”

She later added: “If you get the chance to fight for a UFC belt, you’re going to fight whoever they put in front of you. Only a crazy person would say no.”

Asked by MMAjunkie what she’d do differently in a rematch with Holm, de Randamie said she would take steps to avoid the situation that resulted from their first bout. Hearing critics accuse of her being a dirty fighter was not the reception she hoped for in winning the title.

“I would be very careful of listening to the bell, because I don’t ever want this to happen again,” de Randamie said. “I would be very carefully listening if I can hear the bell, and if I can hear the click-click of the blocks during the last 10 seconds. I’ll probably dance around and move away from Holly, so we don’t have this controversy.”

For complete coverage of UFC 208, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Germaine de Randamie Fights

• 10 months ago

Comments

After Kelvin Gastelum pines for rematch, UFC champ Tyron Woodley responds

Kelvin Gastelum told MMAjunkie earlier this week he would love to have another shot at Tyron Woodley some day. Today, Woodley responded.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

UFC champ Tyron Woodley: Nate Diaz's $15 million price tag just a way of ducking

Tyron Woodley believes he had a fight with Nate Diaz at UFC 219, whether or not a UFC employee went “off the reservation” in offering it.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC champ Nicco Montano to have surgery on broken foot

Nicco Montano’s reign as the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion has hit a snag right from the start.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley to Undergo Shoulder Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is going under the knife. After first contemplating surgery on his injured shoulder as far back as this summer following a win over Demian Maia in July, Woodle read news >>

UFC Champ Tony Ferguson Opts for Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

Interim UFC lightweight champion Tony Ferguson is on the sidelines, at least for the near term, following surgery. read news >>

New UFC Champ Nicco Montano Headed for Surgery After Fighting with Broken Foot | MMAWeekly.com

Nicco Montano not only had to fight four times in the past six months to become the new UFC women's flyweight champion but she also won the title while dealing with a severely broken foot suffered ju read news >>

Tyron Woodley Doesn't Think Conor McGregor Will Ever Fight Again | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley believes that UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor will never defend a UFC title... or even fight again. read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos confident UFC will keep title shot promise if he beats 'downhill' Robbie Lawler

Rafael dos Anjos believes Robbie Lawler is worn down heading into their UFC on FOX 26 headliner.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Santiago Ponzinibbio responds to Gunnar Nelson's eye-poke complaints, promises to KO Mike Perry

Before promising to KO Mike Perry at UFC on FOX 26, Santiago Ponzinibbio addressed complaints he’s a dirty fighter. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Frankie Edgar nearing return from 'freak accident,' wants UFC champ Max Holloway in March

Frankie Edgar hopes to reschedule his UFC featherweight championship fight with Max Holloway in the first quarter of next year.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>