#UFC Fight Night 126 #Conor McGregor #FNG #Donald Cerrone #UFC on Fox 28 #UFC 221 #Yancy Medeiros #ONE Championship 68

UFC champ Tyron Woodley declines comment on Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley doesn’t expect to get the fights he wants, so he’ll just beat whomever the UFC puts in front of him next.

Woodley (18-3-1 MMA, 8-2-1 UFC) expected his next fight might be again Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), but that possibility seemed to dim in the wake of his dominant, yet lackluster, title defense over Demian Maia (25-7 MMA, 19-7 UFC) at UFC 214, which took place Saturday at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., and aired on pay-per-view.

Prior to UFC 214, UFC President Dana White said the Woodley-Maia would next fight St-Pierre – because a fight between St-Pierre and UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) was no longer a possibility. However, the UFC exec changed his mind, as he announced after Saturday’s event.

“I have no reaction to that, my man,” Woodley said when informed of White’s decision. “The next person that steps in front of me, I’m going to beat them. That’s it.”

White later added the winner of Bisping vs. St-Pierre will face interim champ Robert Whittaker in a middleweight title-unifier.

Woodley said he expected St-Pierre would wind up fighting Bisping after the two talked up a fight on Bisping’s podcast, but he tried to put the possibility out of his mind.

“(St-Pierre) should have to fight me,” Woodley told MMAjunkie after the event. “He doesn’t want to fight me because I’m a better version of him.”

Bisping, who is currently recovering from knee surgery, made it clear he doesn’t want to see Woodley and St-Pierre step into the cage together.

“You’ve got Tyron Woodley, who just landed the least amount of significant strikes in a title fight, ever, and he’s going to fight a guy who likes to jab people and go, ‘I am not impressed by your performance,’ and try to take him down,” he said during FS1’s post-fight show (via Twitter). “I can’t wait to see that fight. Take my $60 dollars right now. I want to see one guy do nothing, and another guy do nothing. I want to see it. ‘I am not impressed. I am not buying this.'”

Woodley dominated Maia on the scorecards to retain his belt, but he was roundly booed over five rounds of lackluster action. Despite the crowd’s reaction, he defended his win and pointed to the 24 takedowns he denied the jiu-jitsu expert.

“I thought it was a great performance,” Woodley said. “You’ve got a guy on a seven-fight win streak, and he’s taken out all seven opponents, world-class guys.

“Twenty-four (takedowns) tried, 24 denied. We need to look at the different stats. This is my fourth title fights in 12 months. I’m thinking of how many top-class welterweights he would have been able to put on the ground. He was not able to do any of that with me.”

UFC commentator Joe Rogan pointed out Woodley’s low strike count, but the champ said he didn’t take offense.

“Fans, they want to see blood, they want to see cuts, and they want to see a back-and-forth exchange,” Woodley said. “You also have to recognize that I’m fighting specialists. Stephen Thompson, I’m not going to sit there and try to out-spin kick him. I’m not going to take down Demian Maia and prove it’s time for me to get a black belt.

“I felt like it was a very tactical fight. I felt like I did everything and stuck to the game plan. I walk around with my head up and the belt around my waist.”

Woodley said he fought despite tweaking his right shoulder with his preferred overhand in the first or second round, making him tentative for the rest of the fight.

“All these guys get the credit, and the champ doesn’t ever get the credit,” he said. “So guess what: I don’t expect it. I’ll just keep kicking ass, and I’ll be the greatest walking away.”

For more on UFC 214, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 4 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Tyron Woodley Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Stephen Thompson to UFC champ Tyron Woodley: 'Just fight, man'

Currently eyeing a spring return, Stephen Thompson talks injury recovery, potential competition, champ Tyron Woodley and Rafael dos Anjos. read news >>

Tyron Woodley's UFC welterweight title and its possible suitors

Who should UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley fight when he returns from surgery? We give four options. 1 2 3 4 …5 read news >>

Colby Covington: Tyron Woodley vs. Rafael dos Anjos would mean lowest PPV ever for UFC

Welterweight contender Colby Covington said the UFC is making a mistake if it books champ Tyron Woodley vs. Rafael dos Anjos. read news >>

Tyron Woodley: Valentina Shevchenko and Priscila Cachoeira 'Should Have Been Stopped Way Earlier' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley believes the Valentina Shevchenko and Priscila Cachoeira fight on Saturday was allowed to go on way too long. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Anticipates Showdown with Nate Diaz Next | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley truly believes that Nate Diaz will be his next opponent. After first trying to put the fight together at the close of 2017, Woodley feels like he's an a collis read news >>

Nate Diaz 'sick of not fighting,' wants UFC champ Tyron Woodley this year

Nate Diaz is ready to return to the octagon and expects to fight UFC welterweight champ Tyron Woodley next. read news >>

Yoel Romero Likely to Get Next Shot at UFC Champ Robert Whittaker | MMAWeekly.com

Yoel Romero was unable to win the interim UFC middleweight championship at UFC 221, but he'll likely still get the next shot at Robert Whittaker. read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos to UFC champ Tyron Woodley: 'Shame on you' for wanting Nate Diaz fight

Rafael dos Anjos has grown sick and tired of Tyron Woodley mentioning Nate Diaz as a potential challenger to the UFC welterweight title. read news >>

Should Tyron Woodley take Rashad Evans' advice and abandon his feud with Dana White?

Rashad Evans wishes UFC welterweight champ Tyron Woodley would learn from his mistakes and stop trying to battle UFC President Dana White in the media. But would Evans have been able to take his own read news >>

UFC 221 'Fight Motion': Watch Yoel Romero pummel Luke Rockhold in super slow motion

Luke Rockhold wanted to get a belt wrapped around his waist again, but Yoel Romero had something to say about that. read news >>