#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Conor McGregor #Tony Ferguson #UFC 223 #Holloway vs. Edgar #K-1 #Rose Namajunas #Luke Rockhold

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is definitely considering retirement. How close he is to following through is … well, it’s up for debate.

Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) made headlines Monday when he said his Nov. 4 headliner vs. Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) at UFC 217 could be his last fight. However, it appears Bisping – and his wife – have a more perfect retirement scenario in mind that involves the 38-year-old British champ returning home.

Via the latest episode of Bisping’s “Believe You Me” podcast:

“I’m not saying I want to retire. I don’t know if I’ve made my mind up,” Bisping said. “My wife wants me to. My manager says I should retire. He says, ‘This should be your last fight.’ He said, ‘There’s no better way’ – and he’s right – ‘there’s no better way than in Madison Square Garden, defending the title, beating a legend like Georges St-Pierre, then putting the gloves down in the octagon.’ That is the dream. That’s what everybody says.

“For me, though, I’m kind of torn. … And my wife kind of agrees. I want my last fight to be in Manchester (England). So there is the possibility this is going to be my last one, or my last one is going to be my next one against Robert Whittaker in Manchester. I’m not sure which one, so we’ll see. …

“The English were always so kind to me. The U.K. support that I had over the years always blew my mind. And I think I owe it to them to have my last fight there. So, I don’t know. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t.”

All of this retirement talk is nothing new to Bisping, who also admitted during his podcast that is wife wanted him to go out on top and after winning the title from Luke Rockhold last year at UFC 199. That bit of information leads me to believe Bisping would follow through after UFC 217 – win or lose.

Then again, a win over St-Pierre at the Nov. 4 pay-per-view event seemingly would leave Bisping in position to call his shot. As in, after 11 years and 28 fights with the UFC, how could the promotion not grant his wish of a title-unifying bout with interim champ Whittaker in Manchester?

Wait, a title-unifying retirement fight? I don’t know about that.

For more on UFC 217, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

The Blue Corner is MMAjunkie‘s official blog and is edited by Mike Bohn.

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 5 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Michael Bisping again teases trilogy fight with fellow ex-UFC champ Luke Rockhold

Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold keep dancing around the possibility of a trilogy fight. Is it going to happen? read news >>

Michael Bisping: UFC retirement fight must be soon; Luke Rockhold telling 'porky pies'

“In the U.K., one more, that does sound nice” to Michael Bisping, but it needs to happen soon – against Luke Rockhold or whoever fits the bill. read news >>

Trilogy jaw-jacking continues between ex-UFC champs Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold

The social media back-and-forth between a pair of ex-middleweight champs continues, but is it a build toward a trilogy fight booking? read news >>

Paige VanZant still nursing broken arm, but says she's back in UFC in six months

Despite losses in three of her past four fights, Paige VanZant says she’s still going to be in the flyweight title picture when she returns. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Essentially Closes the Door on Ever Returning to the UFC Again | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey really doesn't like the word retirement but by all accounts she's put her fighting career behind her once and for all. Just after signing her new multi-year contract to join World Wrestl read news >>

Daily Debate: Who's next for UFC champ Cris Cyborg – Megan Anderson or Amanda Nunes?

As the Cris Cyborg Tour of Destruction shows no signs of slowing down, who’s next for the UFC women’s featherweight champion – Megan Anderson or Amanda Nunes? read news >>

UFC 222 medical suspensions: No surprise Sean O'Malley faces long layoff

Sean O’Malley lay flat on his back after winning his second UFC fight. Not surprisingly, the foot injury he suffered could keep him sidelined for a while. read news >>

How UFC newcomer Alexander Hernandez's past in mortgage banking made him a better fighter

After making quick work of veteran Beneil Dariush in an impressive promotional debut, Alex Hernandez is ready for whatever “sacrificial lamb” the UFC has to offer. read news >>

Daily Debate: If ex-UFC champ Georges St-Pierre returns, which division?

Is it only fitting that arguably the sport’s greatest 170-pounder fighter – Georges St-Pierre – remains in the weight class? read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Will Work with UFC Champ, Needs 6-8 Months of MMA Training

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley recently discussed on his TMZ segment Hollywood Beatdown (h/t Bloody Elbow's Milan Ordonez) how he's going to act as something of an MMA coach for Floyd Maywea read news >>

Jose Aldo, Jeremy Stephens want UFC fight against each other; question is when

Former UFC champ Jose Aldo and Jeremy Stephens both have expressed interest in meeting. read news >>

UFC Champ Stipe Miocic Stands Firm as a Firefighter in Latest Modelo Spot | MMAWeekly.com

Despite being the winningest UFC heavyweight champion ever, Stipe Miocic holds firm that he will remain a firefighter paramedic. read news >>

UFC's Yoel Romero on retirement, and learning to pace himself from Jon Jones

UFC 225 title challenger Yoel Romero talks about how long he wants to keep fighting, and how Jon Jones taught him to pace himself. read news >>

Watch Michael Bisping's heartfelt exchange with an amputee boy during UFC-London Q&A

Michael Bisping made this 10-year-old boy’s day by inviting him on stage so they could “fight.” read news >>

Dmitriy Sosnovskiy Subs Mark Godbeer on His Home Turf (UFC London Results & Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Dmitriy Sosnovskiy's submission of Mark Godbeer at UFC Fight Night 127 on Saturday in London. read news >>

Alexander Volkov Blasts Fabricio Werdum (UFC London Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former Bellator titleholder Alexander Volkov remained unbeaten inside the octagon by finishing former UFC champ Fabricio Werdum in the UFC London main event. read news >>

Search for: