#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Conor McGregor #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Holloway vs. Edgar #UFC 223 #Rose Namajunas

UFC champ Michael Bisping: Georges St-Pierre fight could be my last – win or lose

Michael Bisping will take sole possession of the record for most UFC fights at UFC 217. The historic trip to the octagon could also be his last.

Retirement is not a foreign topic to Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC), who is scheduled to put his UFC middleweight title on the line against Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) in the Nov. 4 headliner at Madison Square Garden in New York. “The Count” has broached the subject in the past, but it appears he’s more serious now than ever.

Bisping, 38, today appeared on “The MMA Hour” and casually revealed the clash with St-Pierre could be his final fight – win or lose.

“This might be my last-ever fight,” Bisping said. “I don’t know if I’ll fight again after this. What a way to go out if it is. … I don’t know (if I’ll retire). Maybe, there’s a possibility. This may be my last fight. So if everyone wants to see Michael Bisping get knocked out, this is your last chance to do it, guys.”

Bisping made his UFC debut in December 2006 after winning Season 3 of “The Ultimate Fighter.” In that time he’s racked up numerous records. He is tied for the most fights in UFC history (27) and is the record-holder in prestigious categories such as wins (20) and significant strikes landed (1,533).

It’s been a long career for Bisping in which he’s endured many highs and some painful lows. He said his passion for competition hasn’t faded, but given his accomplishments, financial success and growing opportunities outside of fighting, he said the option of retirement is growing increasingly more attractive.

“I’ve done it for so long now,” Bisping said. “There’s other things to do in life. I still love this, don’t get me wrong. You can’t do it forever. Georges should have stayed retired. Georges should have retired as the champion. I’m going to beat Georges, and I’ll retire as the champion – maybe. I haven’t made my mind up on that yet. It depends. If there’s enough money involved, maybe I’ll stick around. I don’t know.

“I’ve got a lot of things going on outside the octagon, and I’m very lucky in that regard. I love fighting. I’ll keep fighting until I’m 50 years old. But, if you truly want a legacy, I say win the belt, defend it a few times and then retire as champion. There’s no better way to go out than that.”

Although part of Bisping is thinking about a dream exit from the sport, he said he’s not looking past St-Pierre. He wants to show the former long-time welterweight champion that he made a grave error deciding to end his four-year retirement against him.

Bisping said he’s not ready to make any bold or final decisions about his future beyond UFC 217. However, he admits the outside noise from those closest to him is difficult to ignore.

“My family wants me to retire, my wife wants me to retire,” Bisping said. “There’s a lot of people saying, ‘Mike, you should retire.’ My manger says it. Everyone says I should retire as champion. I’ve made some money along the way, I’ve had a great career, I’ve represented my country. I’ve received more through mixed martial arts than I ever could have dreamed of. But you can’t go on forever. You ave to know when the time is right. I’m not saying the time is right, but I am contemplating. We’ll see.”

For more on UFC 217, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 5 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Daily Debate: If ex-UFC champ Georges St-Pierre returns, which division?

Is it only fitting that arguably the sport’s greatest 170-pounder fighter – Georges St-Pierre – remains in the weight class? read news >>

Michael Bisping again teases trilogy fight with fellow ex-UFC champ Luke Rockhold

Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold keep dancing around the possibility of a trilogy fight. Is it going to happen? read news >>

Former UFC champ Jose Aldo says he accepted fight with Jeremy Stephens in Singapore

Jose Aldo wanted Rio de Janeiro. Jeremy Stephens wanted Chicago. But the UFC featherweights seem to be headed toward Singapore in June. read news >>

Jose Aldo, Jeremy Stephens want UFC fight against each other; question is when

Former UFC champ Jose Aldo and Jeremy Stephens both have expressed interest in meeting. read news >>

UFC champ Cris Cyborg delivered 222 burgers to homeless after UFC 222 title defense

Following her successful UFC 222 title defense at UFC 222 this month, Cris Cyborg gave back to the community. read news >>

'Shogun' Rua vs. Volkan Oezdemir set for UFC Fight Night 129 in Chile

• 23 hours ago

A light heavyweight bout between former UFC champ Mauricio Rua and Volkan Oezdemir is set for May’s UFC Fight Night 129 lineup. read news >>

UFC champ Nicco Montano not scared of Valentina Shevchenko, seeks July return

UFC women’s flyweight champion Nicco Montano is still rehabilitating her broken foot, but is eyeing a summer date with Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes, a rare favorite, not worried about training link with Pennington

• 4 hours ago

Amanda Nunes knows there will be questions about how much she knows about Raquel Pennington – and how much Pennington might know about her. read news >>

UFC Champ Tyron Woodley Could Have Floyd Mayweather Ready for MMA in 2.5 Months

Floyd "Money" Mayweather jumping into MMA would, naturally, be huge money for everyone involved. Even with a transition still in a hypothetical stage, people across the sport are looking to get a sli read news >>

Unintimidated Yana Kunitskaya says UFC champ Cris Cyborg lacks true knockout power

From all indications, Yana Kunitskaya isn’t intimidated by Cris Cyborg’s untouchable aura ahead of their UFC 222 main event. read news >>

UFC Champ Stipe Miocic Stands Firm as a Firefighter in Latest Modelo Spot | MMAWeekly.com

Despite being the winningest UFC heavyweight champion ever, Stipe Miocic holds firm that he will remain a firefighter paramedic. read news >>

Trilogy jaw-jacking continues between ex-UFC champs Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold

The social media back-and-forth between a pair of ex-middleweight champs continues, but is it a build toward a trilogy fight booking? read news >>

Michael Bisping: UFC retirement fight must be soon; Luke Rockhold telling 'porky pies'

“In the U.K., one more, that does sound nice” to Michael Bisping, but it needs to happen soon – against Luke Rockhold or whoever fits the bill. read news >>

Watch Michael Bisping's heartfelt exchange with an amputee boy during UFC-London Q&A

Michael Bisping made this 10-year-old boy’s day by inviting him on stage so they could “fight.” read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Will Work with UFC Champ, Needs 6-8 Months of MMA Training

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley recently discussed on his TMZ segment Hollywood Beatdown (h/t Bloody Elbow's Milan Ordonez) how he's going to act as something of an MMA coach for Floyd Maywea read news >>

Alexander Volkov Blasts Fabricio Werdum (UFC London Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former Bellator titleholder Alexander Volkov remained unbeaten inside the octagon by finishing former UFC champ Fabricio Werdum in the UFC London main event. read news >>

Search for: