UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo (23-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) doesn’t appreciate the suggestion that he might be afraid of fighting new lightweight kingpin Anthony Pettis (17-2 MMA, 4-1 UFC). In fact, Aldo said he’s not even afraid of fighting heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez.
“Going out and brawling is a pleasure for me, regardless of who I’m facing, no matter the weight division,” Aldo told Brazilian outlet Combate in his native Portuguese. “Schedule me to face Cain and you’ll see that there will be a brawl, regardless of the weight.”
Aldo’s comments are a result of UFC President Dana White’s recent claims that the featherweight champ’s manager, Andre Pederneiras, was making his client look “afraid of Anthony Pettis” by suggesting “Showtime” should drop his newly minted belt if he wants to schedule a champion vs. champion fight.
The two, of course, were supposed to fight for Aldo’s belt at August’s UFC 163 event before a knee injury forced Pettis to withdraw and instead take a UFC 164 fight with then-lightweight-champ Benson Henderson. Like he did when the two met for the WEC belt, Pettis earned a victory and walked away with the title.
After the win, Pettis called out Aldo, saying the two had “unfinished business,” which prompted Pederneiras to take to Twitter and offer up a few requests.
Aldo doesn’t seem to echo the same sentiments, and appears to want the bout re-booked ASAP, with White figuring out what works best.
“The only things I fear in this life are God and not having food to eat,” Aldo said. “If a heavyweight wanted to fight me on the streets, would I ask him what his weight was? No. So you can schedule this s—, and let’s stop this ‘blah, blah, blah.’
“This is the fight we want to watch. Let’s make it happen, Dana.”
For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.view original article >>
Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>
Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>
Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>
UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is still awaiting word on his next title defense but all signs are pointing towards a showdown with surging contender Volkan Oezdemir. Oezdemir burst ont read news >>
The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>
For UFC Dana White, not canceling UFC 216 was a very important move, not for his company, but for his city. read news >>
Prior to the start of Saturday's UFC 216 event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, UFC President Dana White shared a video message about the mass shooting in the city on Oct. 1. Sports Illustrated's read news >>
Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White says more than 1,500 first responders from the Las Vegas shooting will be at Saturday’s UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>