#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Michael Bisping #Robbie Lawler #Cody Garbrandt

(This story appears in the Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin, a USA TODAY sister property.)

After modeling down vests that “fight the chill” of fall for GQ magazine, Jon Jones took part in a photo shoot more suited to his tastes last week.

The Union-Endicott High School graduate and UFC light-heavyweight champion traded vests for his ring gear on Friday to shoot the cover of EA Sports UFC, a new video game that will be available next spring for Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

“I would say this (the EA) shoot was a lot more fun, a little more down my alley,” Jones said during a phone interview Friday while on a break from the shoot in New York City. “GQ had me in all types of clothes I would never wear and had me doing all types of goofy things.

“(Here) I had to do 1,000 flying knees, a 1,000 elbows and 1,000 punches — but I needed the workout and it was fun.”

Electronic Arts announced Monday that Jones would be one of two fighters to grace the cover of its inaugural UFC game. Fans will vote among 16 fighters to decide the other cover spot. The honor is special for Jones, who is an avid video gamer.

“It’s been surreal; sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure everything’s real,” Jones said. “Being a 26-year-old video game player, to have the opportunity to be on the cover of this game and to know millions of young guys around the world will be playing this game and having me on the cover of their game, it’s a huge honor.”

EA Sports is the leader when it comes to sports video games with top-selling franchises such as the Madden NFL football series. It released EA Sports MMA in 2010 to favorable reviews, but this is the first MMA game under the UFC banner.

Jones, who said he enjoys Madden and the Fight Night boxing games, said he has not had a chance to play an early version of the game but was impressed by recent footage. An exact release date has not yet been announced.

“This game is the closest thing you can get; (‘It’s in the game’) is the perfect slogan because you really feel like you’re in the fight,” said Jones, referring to EA Sports’ catchphrase. “You see muscles restricting, you see bruises occurring, hair moving and flowing through the wind, the facial expressions … I can say this game is the most realistic game in all of gaming.”

While being selected to be on the cover of a video game is akin to making the cover of a Wheaties box, it has also brought a decline in production to many cover athletes — most famously with the so-called “Madden Curse” in the NFL series.

But Jones does not give too much thought to that.

“Before I won the (light-heavyweight) belt, it had been passed around,” Jones said. “All the champions would lose the belt in their first title defense, and I was the first one to keep the belt in a long time. Before my last fight, Anderson Silva had lost and other champions had gone down, everyone said ‘Oh Jon, what if you’re next?’ I refuse to give in to those superstitions.”

Jones, who will defend his title against Glover Teixeira sometime next year, said he is fully healed from a brutal five-round clash with Alexander Gustafsson in September. The Swedish challenger pushed Jones more than any other fighter in the UFC before Jones won via unanimous decision.

“I feel great and I’m so glad to be past that fight,” said Jones, who will begin training next week for his fight with Teixeira. “A huge mark in my career to break the (most UFC title defenses) record; such a war, and I’m grateful for the experience.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Jeff Novitzky Debunks Jon Jones Controversy | MMAWeekly.com

Following claims that he declared Jon Jones innocent, UFC exec Jeff Novitzky debunked the controversial reports. read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones Could Have Been UFC Heavyweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White hasn't talked to former champ Jon Jones since his failed UFC 214 drug test, but believes Jones could have been the greatest ever. read news >>

Dana White Calls Jon Jones the Biggest Waste of Talent in All of Sports

• a day ago

UFC president Dana White said this week that former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is the biggest waste of talent in the history of sports. On Tuesday, Jim Edwards of MMAUno passed along White' read news >>

Donald Cerrone welcomes gatekeeper label, but can Darren Till 'get past the gate?'

• a day ago

Donald Cerrone relishes the narrative his UFC Fight Night 118 headliner with Darren Till could be a changing of the guard.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jordon Larson Heads into LFA 25 Shaping His Plans for UFC or Bellator

• a day ago

Jordon Larson (8-3) will look to get a more productive win when he returns to the LFA on Friday to take on Kassius Holdorf (10-4) in a170-pound bout in Omaha. read news >>

Sam Alvey faces 'biggest weight cut of my life' ahead of UFC Fight Night 118

• a day ago

Sam Alvey wants to book a dream fight with Brazilian legend Vitor Belfort next year, but he’ll have to complete a weight cut of more than 34 pounds to get there.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC President Dana White: More divisions isn't the solution to MMA's weight-cutting woes

• a day ago

Dana White remains steadfast in his belief that additional weight classes are unnecessary for the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Karolina Kowalkiewicz Shares Her Life in UFC Gdansk 'On The Fly' | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Go 'On the Fly' with former title challenger Karolina Kowalkiewicz as she looks to get back in the win column in the co-main event of UFC Fight Night Gdansk. read news >>

Do UFC fighters need managers? Maybe not (until they definitely do)

• a day ago

For a lot of UFC fighters, a manager is like insurance. “You don’t need insurance every day, but when you need it, you really need it.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>