#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP

UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks can point to one reason why he thinks a rematch with now-retired titleholder Georges St-Pierre is in the future.

St-Pierre, Hendricks recently told MMAjunkie Radio, is still a consistent presence in the media, despite formally retiring in December.

“I don’t read it, but people tell me (what he says),” Hendricks (16-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) said. “He’s been saying that he’s walking around at 201 (pounds). Huh, cool. Whatever.”

Of course, there are other reasons the French-Canadian fighter is in the spotlight. He remains one of MMA’s most recognizable faces and one of its most popular combatants, and he had one of the longest title runs in UFC history.

Also, St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) made the unfortunate choice of expressing support for a Canadian drug pin, which later brought regrets and apologies from the 33-year-old fighter.

For Hendricks, the subject of St-Pierre is one that is likely to hang over him until the two meet again. This past November, at UFC 167, St-Pierre won a controversial decision over Hendricks and then stepped away from the sport, opening a void that hasn’t completely been filled by Hendricks’ subsequent winning of the belt.

As the new champ has said many times, he would like to rematch St-Pierre, but he won’t consider his career incomplete if the chance doesn’t arise.

Next up for the champ is the completion of rehabilitation for a bicep injury he sustained while beating Robbie Lawler in May for the vacant belt. He will meet the winner of the upcoming bout between Lawler (23-10 MMA, 8-4 UFC) and Matt Brown (19-11 MMA, 12-5 UFC) that headlines UFC on FOX 12 on Saturday.

Until then, he has time to entertain a variety of thoughts about the welterweight division and, of course, St-Pierre.

Hearing the former champ speak about weight is a particularly amusing topic for Hendricks, who frequently tips the scales at more than 200 pounds prior to a fight. A fast-food addict, the champ still entertains the thought of moving to the middleweight division at some point.

When St-Pierre speaks about packing on pounds, Hendricks interprets it as the ex-champ talking himself up in advance of a comeback – and he believes it’s nothing to brag about.

“Just because you put on an extra pounds doesn’t mean it’s muscle, and just because you put on an extra two or three pounds of muscle doesn’t mean you’re going to be strong as me,” he said.

“He didn’t feel that strong,” Hendricks added about their UFC 167 fight. “And so that’s just one of those things where I’d like to face him again. Now, I’ve got the belt, and he has to beat me. And realistically, I don’t think he’s going to.

“The more that I’m training for these five-round fights, I’m getting better, and I’m still young at this. Most of the guys I’m fighting are 10, 12, 14 years they’ve been fighting. I’m only seven. I’m still developing my striking, trying to tune it up. Everything is starting to fall into place.”

This weekend, Hendricks will turn his attention to the title eliminator between Lawler and Brown. Betting lines favor Lawler to win the fight, meaning fans are betting he’ll face the current champ again.

Hendricks’ opinion on the key matchup, as well as other division contenders, is not nearly as strong. The way he sees it, it’s better to not talk too much about potential opponents’ strengths and weaknesses.

Eventually, he said, he may have to fight all of them.

“Realistically, I don’t really care (who wins on Saturday),” Hendricks said. “There’s a part of me that would like to face Robbie again being healthy. But then again, there’s a part of me that wants somebody new. I’m torn on this fight. Also, I don’t like to pick the welterweight class because if I sit here and (say), ‘Robbie Lawler is going to smash Matt Brown,’ and all of a sudden Matt Brown beats him, did I give him fuel for to fight me? And vice-versa.

“I’d like to see how it plays out because I think they both have a chance to win.”

For more on UFC on FOX 12, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• a month ago

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Freddie Roach Says He'd Like to See Potential GSP, Conor McGregor Fight Happen

Freddie Roach will make his debut as UFC cornerman for Georges St-Pierre in his fight against Michael Bisping at UFC 217 on Nov. 4, and the boxing trainer says he would like to see a matchup of St-Pi read news >>

Why did Georges St-Pierre leave? Before UFC 217 return, GSP discusses self-imposed exile

Why did Georges St-Pierre leave? Why did one of MMA’s biggest stars – a defending champion – decide to walk away from the sport?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Even with a UFC 217 Win, GSP Still Isn't Big Enough to Fight Conor McGregor

Things change. Things change a lot in four years. Think of how the world looked four years ago. Some examples: America had no idea what MAGA was an abbreviation for, Canada was staunchly against lega read news >>

UFC 217's Johny Hendricks reports this time he's not sick, not fat – just chillin'

Johny Hendricks claims all systems are a go for a must-win fight against Paulo Borrachinha at UFC 217. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'Countdown to UFC 217' full episode with Bisping-GSP, Garbrandt-Dillashaw, Jedrzejczyk-Namajunas

Did you miss the debut of “Countdown to UFC 217,” or just want to watch it again? Check out the full episode now.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping Rips GSP and His Coaches; Cody Garbrandt Blasts Dillashaw and Ludwig | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champs Michael Bisping and Cody Garbrandt joined the latest edition of Fight Society and unloaded on their upcoming UFC 217 opponents. read news >>

UFC 217 Talking Points: GSP the GOAT, Dillashaw & Namajunas become champs

Georges St-Pierre cemented his legacy as the GOAT, TJ Dillashaw's composure earned him his title back and Rose Namajunas learned how to be a champ. All this and more in UFC 217's Talking Points. read news >>

Legendary Boxing Trainer Roach Talks GSP vs Bisping

Freddie Roach watched former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre go through his paces in an open workout for fans and media Wednesday at The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Roach is enjoyin read news >>

Forget GSP's Return: Garbrandt vs. Dillashaw Is the Best Thing Going at UFC 217

An ultimate truism of mixed martial arts is that feuds sell tickets. Sure, there's a case to be made that stars or maybe sound bites or maybe even athletic merit (as if) sell tickets, but if butts in read news >>

UFC Legend GSP Redefined Mixed Martial Arts: Does Anybody Still Care?

On Saturday night, Georges "GSP" St-Pierre, arguably the greatest fighter in UFC history and the promotion's long-standing welterweight champion, will make the long walk to the UFC Octagon for the fi read news >>