#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #GSP #Stipe Miocic #Max Holloway

Newly crowned middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre today revealed a neck injury he suffered during his title-winning fight against Michael Bisping, but he said he still plans to fight interim titleholder Robert Whittaker.

“There’s going to be news about it in the next few weeks, but I don’t plan to hold the title and not defend it,” St-Pierre told reporters today during a media call five days after his win at UFC 217 in New York.

St-Pierre (26-2 MMA, 20-2 UFC), who submitted Bisping (30-8 MMA, 20-8 UFC) via rear-naked choke in the third round of the pay-per-view headliner at Madison Square Garden, said the injury occurred in the first round of the fight when the Brit threw an elbow from the bottom that contacted that back of his head.

“It looked very insignificant when it happened,” St-Pierre said. “It wasn’t the strength of the hit. It was more the precision of it. It’s not his fault. We’re not allowed to hit there, but it was just in the heat of the fight, and it’s normal.

“My neck was so inflamed, when I was on the floor, I had a hard time posturing up because it was hurting very bad. It felt like I couldn’t contract my head to posture up. After the fight when I cooled down, it was terrible. It was like my neck couldn’t move. Now it’s still sore, but it got a lot better. I got treatment on it, so I’ll be back 100 percent.”

First on the new champ’s itinerary, however, is a vacation to “forget about fighting.” He plans to talk with UFC officials about their plans for unifying the middleweight title against Whittaker (19-4 MMA, 10-2 UFC), who welcomed a meeting with St-Pierre in February at UFC 221 in Perth, Australia.

But St-Pierre resisted repeated questions to tie him down to a timeline.

“(UFC President) Dana White is going to talk with my agent, they’re going to figure it out, and we’ll see after I come back from vacation,” he told MMAjunkie when asked if he would be interested in unifying the title at UFC 221, or would prefer to fight elsewhere.

Whatever he decides, St-Pierre said he’ll make up his mind soon.

“We’ll see what I want to do and where my head is,” he said. “I have no intention of holding onto the belt and freezing the division. That’s not what I want to do. Robert Whittaker is in my contract. If I want to fight again, it has to be against Robert Whittaker at 185 (pounds). That’s in my contract. I cannot, for example, go fight (welterweight champ) Tyron Woodley or go fight another guy.”

St-Pierre said he didn’t know if he’d return to the welterweight division following a fight with Whittaker.

Asked if he might simply retire instead of returning to middleweight, the new champ giggled.

“I don’t know,” he said. “It’s the same question from a different angle. That’s why I can’t talk about this – I don’t know right now

“I understand it’s normal, but I don’t even know for myself what’s going to be the next move.”

For complete coverage of UFC 217, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Watch Montreal Canadiens fans give UFC champ Georges St-Pierre a rousing ovation

The love for new UFC middleweight champ Georges St-Pierre continues from Canada.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Georges St-Pierre issues statement, confirms ulcerative colitis

UFC middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre has confirmed the disease that will keep him on the sidelines for the time being.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Georges St-Pierre on if he'll defend middleweight title: 'I don't think so'

From all indications, UFC middleweight champ Georges St-Pierre won’t be sticking around the weight class from too much longer.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After a chaotic few years in UFC featherweight division, where does Frankie Edgar fit?

After a few years of turmoil in the division, an untimely injury, and Father Time creeping up on him, where does Frankie Edgar fit among UFC featherweights?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre out Indefinitely After Being Diagnosed with Colitis

UFC middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre will reportedly be sidelined for a while as he has come down with colitis. Dana White, the UFC president, confirmed the news on Saturday, per Mike Bohn and read news >>

Interim UFC champ Robert Whittaker reacts to Georges St-Pierre's sidelining colitis

Robert Whittaker is keeping things classy in the wake of the news UFC champion Georges St-Pierre is sidelined with a case of colitis.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Be 'super pissed' all you want, but Georges St-Pierre doesn't owe us anything

After a UFC middleweight title reign that was outlasted by a Kim Kardashian marriage, Georges St-Pierre has abdicated the throne. Is it all part of a master plan, or just circumstances that worked ou read news >>

Champ Robert Whittaker and UFC 221 opponent Luke Rockhold discuss GSP's departure

Georges St-Pierre is out of the UFC middleweight title picture, and UFC 221’s headliners are ready to move on without him. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Michael Bisping still plans to retire in London in March

A brutal knockout hasn’t changed former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping’s plans for retirement.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre better unify UFC middleweight title, or else Dana White will be 'super pissed'

UFC President Dana White gets agitated at the mere thought of Georges St-Pierre trying to get out of the deal he agreed to.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>