#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jan Blachowicz #Jimi Manuwa #Conor McGregor #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Rose Namajunas #Tony Ferguson #UFC 223 #Joanna Jedrzejczyk

UFC champ Georges St-Pierre injured but won't 'freeze' division

Newly crowned middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre today revealed a neck injury he suffered during his title-winning fight against Michael Bisping, but he said he still plans to fight interim titleholder Robert Whittaker.

“There’s going to be news about it in the next few weeks, but I don’t plan to hold the title and not defend it,” St-Pierre told reporters today during a media call five days after his win at UFC 217 in New York.

St-Pierre (26-2 MMA, 20-2 UFC), who submitted Bisping (30-8 MMA, 20-8 UFC) via rear-naked choke in the third round of the pay-per-view headliner at Madison Square Garden, said the injury occurred in the first round of the fight when the Brit threw an elbow from the bottom that contacted that back of his head.

“It looked very insignificant when it happened,” St-Pierre said. “It wasn’t the strength of the hit. It was more the precision of it. It’s not his fault. We’re not allowed to hit there, but it was just in the heat of the fight, and it’s normal.

“My neck was so inflamed, when I was on the floor, I had a hard time posturing up because it was hurting very bad. It felt like I couldn’t contract my head to posture up. After the fight when I cooled down, it was terrible. It was like my neck couldn’t move. Now it’s still sore, but it got a lot better. I got treatment on it, so I’ll be back 100 percent.”

First on the new champ’s itinerary, however, is a vacation to “forget about fighting.” He plans to talk with UFC officials about their plans for unifying the middleweight title against Whittaker (19-4 MMA, 10-2 UFC), who welcomed a meeting with St-Pierre in February at UFC 221 in Perth, Australia.

But St-Pierre resisted repeated questions to tie him down to a timeline.

“(UFC President) Dana White is going to talk with my agent, they’re going to figure it out, and we’ll see after I come back from vacation,” he told MMAjunkie when asked if he would be interested in unifying the title at UFC 221, or would prefer to fight elsewhere.

Whatever he decides, St-Pierre said he’ll make up his mind soon.

“We’ll see what I want to do and where my head is,” he said. “I have no intention of holding onto the belt and freezing the division. That’s not what I want to do. Robert Whittaker is in my contract. If I want to fight again, it has to be against Robert Whittaker at 185 (pounds). That’s in my contract. I cannot, for example, go fight (welterweight champ) Tyron Woodley or go fight another guy.”

St-Pierre said he didn’t know if he’d return to the welterweight division following a fight with Whittaker.

Asked if he might simply retire instead of returning to middleweight, the new champ giggled.

“I don’t know,” he said. “It’s the same question from a different angle. That’s why I can’t talk about this – I don’t know right now

“I understand it’s normal, but I don’t even know for myself what’s going to be the next move.”

For complete coverage of UFC 217, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 5 months ago

Daily Debate: If ex-UFC champ Georges St-Pierre returns, which division?

Is it only fitting that arguably the sport’s greatest 170-pounder fighter – Georges St-Pierre – remains in the weight class? read news >>

Chris Weidman still nursing thumb injury; unsure what's next with 'Jacare' Souza booked

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman remains on the mend following a September thumb surgery, and his return date is still unknown. read news >>

Michael Bisping shoots down 'Derelict' Brunson: I've got bigger fish to fry

According to former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping, you can’t always trust what you see on the internet. read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko calls out flyweight champ Nicco Montano for UFC 225 in Chicago

Valentina Shevchenko debuted in the new women’s flyweight division a month ago, and already is ready for a title shot. read news >>

Daily Debate: Who's next for UFC champ Cris Cyborg – Megan Anderson or Amanda Nunes?

As the Cris Cyborg Tour of Destruction shows no signs of slowing down, who’s next for the UFC women’s featherweight champion – Megan Anderson or Amanda Nunes? read news >>

Michael Bisping again teases trilogy fight with fellow ex-UFC champ Luke Rockhold

Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold keep dancing around the possibility of a trilogy fight. Is it going to happen? read news >>

Unintimidated Yana Kunitskaya says UFC champ Cris Cyborg lacks true knockout power

From all indications, Yana Kunitskaya isn’t intimidated by Cris Cyborg’s untouchable aura ahead of their UFC 222 main event. read news >>

Joe Rogan Interviews Injured Sean O'Malley on His Back in Octagon at UFC 222 | MMAWeekly.com

The first ever Octagon interview of a fighter on his back? That may be, as Joe Rogan interviewed an injured Sean O'Malley at UFC 222. read news >>

Dana White Gives Sean O'Malley UFC 222 Injury Update | MMAWeekly.com

? (Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) Dana White was very happy with Sean O'Malley's performance at UFC 222 and gave an update on whether or not O'Malley broke his foot during the fight at the UF read news >>

Sean O'Malley Stretchered out of UFC 222 After Suffering Major Leg Injury in Win

UFC bantamweight Sean O'Malley was taken out of the Octagon on a stretcher with a severe right leg injury Saturday night following his win over Andre Soukhamthath at UFC 222 at T-Mobile Arena in Las read news >>

Sean O'Malley Entered UFC 222 with Fractured Foot | MMAWeekly.com

Sean O'Malley is a rising star in the UFC bantamweight division. The unbeaten prospect made his pay-per-view debut on Saturday on the main card of UFC 222. read news >>

Brian Ortega Reveals Dana White Guaranteed He's Next for Max Holloway | MMAWeekly.com

Undefeated featherweight contender Brian Ortega on Monday revealed that UFC president Dana White guaranteed that he gets the next shot at UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway. read news >>

Will Jon Jones Be Arrested This Year? There Are Betting Odds for That | MMAWeekly.com

Think former UFC champ Jon Jones might get arrested again this year? Well, now you can wager on whether or not he will, amongst other things. read news >>

Brian Ortega: A Bad Match-up for the UFC Featherweight Division | MMAWeekly.com

After watching Royce Gracie in the early days of the UFC, a young Brian Ortega tried out jiu-jitsu -- and turned out to be a prodigy. read news >>

Jessica Andrade aims to be UFC champ in 2018, isn't counting on title shot after Tecia Torres bout

Jessica Andrade isn’t sure who will be next for a 115-pound title shot, but she hopes a big showing at UFC on FOX 28 will do the trick. read news >>

C.B. Dollaway Discusses Injuries from Elevator Accident, Return to UFC

C.B. Dollaway has revealed he has "permanent damage" from the elevator accident he suffered back in September 2016. Dollaway said surgery is not an option to try to resolve the problem, per Shaun Al- read news >>

Search for: