#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #Rizin 7 #GSP #Pancrase #Kevin Lee

MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks

LAS VEGAS – Whatever is going on with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, it’s apparently causing him major distress.

“I can’t sleep at night, man,” he told MMAjunkie following Saturday’s UFC 167. “I’m going crazy. I have issues and I need to get out for a while. I don’t know what I’m going to do.

“I feel like I’m leaving everything out now, but I need to leave part of my life personal. I need to get out for a little bit, and that’s it.”

Following a controversial split-call win over Johny Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in the headliner of UFC 167 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) said he needed to walk away from MMA, but wouldn’t say whether he is retiring.

The statement both confused and aggravated UFC President Dana White, who said the champ owes it to the promotion and Hendricks to do an immediate rematch.

At the event’s post-event press conference, St-Pierre, who was cut under both eyes from the five-round fight, repeatedly declined to speak about the issues that were bothering him.

“Not right now,” he said. “I can’t tell you. I just got hit; I just came out of a frickin’ war with a guy that hit like a truck. My brain got bashed left and right inside my skull, so I need to think and see what’s going to happen.

“I got very emotional, and I’m going to have a talk with the guys and see what’s going to happen. I want to say thank you to everyone for their support. The UFC has always been with me, and always supported me. They’re the ones who made my lifestyle with my family, so I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to them. I would never turn my back to the UFC, ever, ever.”

And yet, St-Pierre said he “needed to make a point” when he decided to take a hiatus.

“Like I said, I need to think,” he said. “There’s stuff going on in my life, and I need to make a point in my life again, and it’s my personal life. I can’t speak to you about this. I know you’re a reporter and I know your job is to find out, but I have a personal life, and I keep personal some of my stuff.

“The only thing I can say about this fight is I gave my best. Like it or hate it, I gave everything I have, and I want to say thanks to Johny for the fight, and thank you to the fans. I hope they appreciate the show, and I left everything in there.”

Asked whether White’s criticism was valid, St-Pierre acknowledged that his decision put the UFC in a difficult position. But he seemed unwilling to budge.

“I understand from their point of view,” he said. “It’s bad for them if I leave like this. Like I said, I need to make a point.”

Further questions posed to the champ were shut down by a tense White, who said the two would meet after the press conference to discuss the issue and, presumably, come to some sort of agreement.

But for now, fans can only guess what the champ’s problem is.

“We’ll talk,” White said. “I’m going to talk to the guy. He doesn’t want to talk about it, he said it 10 times. I’ll talk to him. He and I will leave here, and we will go talk.”

For complete coverage of UFC 167, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

After Las Vegas shooting, Saturday's UFC 216 will go on as planned, officials say

After a horrific shooting in its home city, this weekend’s UFC 216 event in Las Vegas is still a go, officials today told MMAjunkie.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Watch Tony Ferguson Put Abel Trujillo's KO Power to Sleep (UFC 216 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

A game Abel Trujillo came into this fight off two consecutive knockout wins in the UFC, but was stopped by a relentless Tony Ferguson. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: More like 'Ovince Saint Flue': Yushin Okami put out cold in first

Ovince Saint Preux put Yushin Okami to sleep in the UFC-Japan main event with a Von Flue choke – his third such rare finish in the UFC. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Puts Yushin Okami to Sleep in UFC Japan Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Ovince Saint Preux solidified his position in the upper crust of the light heavyweight division, submitting Yushin Okami at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday. read news >>

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux ready to rebook 'Shogun' Rua after UFC-Japan, but also wants losses back

Ovince Saint Preux is open to rebooking his rematch with “Shogun” Rua, but he also wants revenge on Jimi Manuwa and Volkan Oezdemir. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jessica Andrade: UFC-Japan win over Claudia Gadelha proves no need to leave Brazil

Jessica Andrade took an extra shot at Claudia Gadelha after her dominant win in the UFC Fight Night 117 co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White clowns anyone who thinks Gokhan Saki's UFC debut win was stopped early

Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'Turkish Mike Tyson'? Gokhan Saki sounds more like Turkish Conor McGregor after UFC debut

Some fight fans call Gokhan Saki the “Turkish Mike Tyson.” But he spoke a lot more like Conor McGregor after his huge knockout win.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Ovince Saint Preux's latest Von Flue-choke win at UFC Fight Night 117

See the top Twitter reacts to Ovince Saint Preux’s submission win over Yushin Okami in the UFC Fight Night 117 main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>