#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler

demetrious-johnson-24.jpgOn Thursday, UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson will undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum he may have suffered prior to his most recent title defense.

Johnson (17-2-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) on Monday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that his shoulder hurt prior to a fight with John Dodson (12-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) at this past month’s UFC on FOX 6, where he defended his belt via decision.

When he began training for his next bout, which was scheduled for The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale opposite John Moraga, the injury again flared up.

“Injuries seem to be a part of my career,” said Johnson, who was forced to withdraw from a headliner at the April 13 event in Las Vegas. Ex-WEC champ and current bantamweight contender Urijah Faber takes the spot against Scott Jorgensen.

Johnson said the shoulder specialist who diagnosed him with his injury also spotted a previous labrum tear that had healed.

“Labrums are something people tear all the time and they go their whole lives with a torn labrum,” he said. “Mine had torn once before. It healed on its own and I re-tore it.”

Johnson anticipates wearing a sling for four or five days after the surgery, but didn’t offer a timetable when he’d be ready to fight again. He’s heard Moraga will wait until he’s healthy.

“I’ll be rehabbing it and getting ready, so that’s all I know,” Johnson said. “But anything could change.”

A recent training session at his gym was the catalyst for an MRI that revealed the extent of the injury.

“I was working out and I pulled down on a rope and I couldn’t pull down,” Johnson said. “I had excruciating pain in my right shoulder, and I was like, ‘I can’t do this, Matt.’ I jump on a different machine and he was like, ‘You need to get an MRI.’

“I told him I didn’t want to get one because I wanted to push through. I knew something was wrong.”

Johnson famously soldiered through a broken leg when he fought Miguel Torres at UFC 130, and once suffered a broken hand that kept him out of action for six months.

“I’m young, and I want to be super active regardless of whether I’m the champion or not,” he said. “But injuries come with the sport. Luckily, I have a great support system with my wife and coaches.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Former UFC champion Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua undergoes (another) knee surgery

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio Rua has been forced to undergo yet another knee surgery.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg coach credits John Dodson as key player in prep for UFC champ Demetrious Johnson

Ray Borg didn’t have to look far for advice on what it’s like to face UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Where does UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson rank his record winning streak?

Demetrious Johnson is on the cusp of UFC history, but you wouldn’t know it by hearing him talk about it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 co-main event between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Is Demetrious Johnson's UFC 216 title defense a tree falling in an empty forest?

Will DJ break a UFC record without anyone batting an eye? What could the right TV deal do for the UFC? Those items and more in this TMB.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 preview: A closer look at Demetrious Johnson's career statistics

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson returns tonight in search of history in UFC 216’s co-headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Predicts When He'll Finish Ray Borg at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson chases history on Saturday when he takes on Ray Borg in the UFC 216 co-main event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg: UFC 216 Inside the Octagon Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson looks to make history on Saturday by setting the UFC record for most consecutive title defenses in the promotion's history. read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Countdown Video (Full Episode) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee features two title fights, and flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has history on line in the fight card's co-main event. read news >>

Demtrious Johnson Roasts Kevin Lee on Making Weight: 'I Had Oreos!' | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of Karyn Bryant) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson and interim lightweight title contender Kevin Lee were in Los Angeles on Monday for a media luncheon to promote their respective f read news >>