#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Nate Diaz #Cody Garbrandt #Dustin Poirier #Fight One #Anthony Pettis

demetrious-johnson-35.jpgSEATTLE – As a new father, UFC flyweight titleholder Demetrious Johnson (18-2-1 MMA, 6-1-1 UFC) is all about cashing the biggest checks possible, and he thinks a superfight with either of the UFC’s two current bantamweight champions could provide exactly that. However, he believes there are still plenty of challenges at flyweight, as well.

“I’ve beat the best of the best in the flyweight division, and there are still up-and-comers in there,” Johnson said at Saturday night’s post-UFC on FOX 8 press conference in Seattle. “I know there’s some key matchups coming up pretty soon. … There are still a couple of flyweights out there that I haven’t fought yet, and I wouldn’t mind fighting them. It’s whatever the UFC wants me to do.”

Indeed, Johnson has already made major waves in the still-developing 125-pound division. With previous wins over top-ranked flyweights Joseph Benavidez, John Dodson and Ian McCall, Johnson has yet to lose in the UFC since dropping to the new weight to kick off the division in March 2012. On Saturday night, he earned his second defense of the flyweight title with an impressive fifth-round submission win over John Moraga in the main event of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 8 fight card at Seattle’s KeyArena.

Johnson previously fought at 135 pounds for both the UFC and WEC, so a return to the division wouldn’t be out of the question. But “Mighty Mouse” said it’s not his sole focus, especially with contenders such as Jussier Formiga, John Lineker, Tim Elliott, Louis Gaudinot and others still developing at 125 pounds.

“[A superfight] is just something to throw out there,” Johnson said. “I’m still focused on my weight division. I know there’s up-and-coming fighters who are trying to come up and take what’s mine, and I’ll be there to defend it for the fans.”

But if an interesting fight comes along at 135 pounds, particularly one that might result in an impressive paycheck, Johnson said he’s more than willing to listen.

“I think everybody is focused on Anderson Silva, ‘GSP’ and all those guys,” Johnson said. “But I think we can make some fun superfights down in a lighter-weight division with the flyweights fighting the bantamweights. I know the bantamweights have some things to wok out, and then we’ll see what happens. I’m just here to fight and have a good time and put on a good performance for the UFC and the fans.”

And White, well he’s not making any commitments, but he’s certainly not ruling anything out, either.

“Reporters keep asking me, ‘When’s he going to get the respect he’s due?’” White said. “I think he’s earned the respect he’s due.

“Listen, if Demetrious came and said that he wanted to fight the champion at 135, I don’t know, I’d have to talk to our matchmakers and see what they think, what they want to do. I don’t hate the idea.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC-Gdansk winner Aspen Ladd sees 'a lot to get better at' after TKO in octagon debut

After adding a fifth finish to her unblemished record, Aspen Ladd is eager to build on her successful UFC debut.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Why did Georges St-Pierre leave? Before UFC 217 return, GSP discusses self-imposed exile

Why did Georges St-Pierre leave? Why did one of MMA’s biggest stars – a defending champion – decide to walk away from the sport?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Why Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos was probably UFC Fight Night 119's biggest winner

A win, a “Fight of the Night” bonus and the news that he was going to be a father? Good luck trying to top Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos’ Saturday night.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Conor McGregor Names His Terms for Return to the UFC

The biggest question in MMA today isn't about UFC 217 or the upcoming UFC TV deal negotiations. No, the biggest question in MMA today is "what the heck is going on with Conor McGregor?" While many we read news >>

Mickey Gall Sees UFC 217 As the First Defense of His 'Dana White Lookin' For a Fight' Title | MMAWeekly.com

Mickey Gall never takes for granted how he was discovered when the opportunity came to join the UFC roster. Just minutes after his professional mixed martial arts debut, Gall took a shot by calling o read news >>

Cody Garbrandt Explains Why 'All Eyes' Are on Demetrious Johnson After He Finishes T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly

Cody Garbrandt wants to make history. The 26-year old Ohio native has never been shy vocalizing his goals, which played a large part in his fast rise to fame in 2016 when he went from an unranked pro read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Helps Launch EA Sports' UFC 3

Demetrious Johnson was on hand to play games and talk to the media for the launch of UFC 3 by EA Sports. A small group of media and the flyweight champ got to go behind the scenes of new release. read news >>

Gilbert Burns challenges, Olivier Aubin-Mercier accepts for UFC on FOX 27 in Charlotte

Gilbert Burns and Olivier Aubin-Mercier are looking to make life easy for UFC matchmakers.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tyron Woodley Interviews Georges St-Pierre, Challenges Him to UFC Title Fight (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley is willing to meet Georges St-Pierre at middleweight so he doesn't break his contract, but is GSP buying? read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw after UFC 217 title win: Demetrious Johnson can't run from me anymore

T.J. Dillashaw reclaimed his bantamweight title at UFC 217, but he wants a fight with flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson now more than ever.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>