GOIANIA, Brazil – When it was revealed that Antonio Rogerio Nogueira wouldn’t be facing Alexander Gustafsson – less than one week after it was announced he would – many fans wondered how a fighter could agree to a fight more than four months out only to withdraw six days later. To put it simply, he didn’t.
“What happened was that night we decided to make the fight,” UFC President Dana White explained. “Gustafsson said yes, and they couldn’t get hold of him, so I said, ‘F–k it,’ and just went with it and announced the fight, and of course, he’s hurt.”
White in October announced that Gustafsson (15-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) vs. Nogueira (21-5 MMA, 4-2 UFC) would headline the UFC’s first European Tour event, which takes place March 8 at London’s O2 Arena.
It was revealed just a few days later that a lingering back issue would prevent Nogueira from taking part. Now, as it turns out, the light heavyweight never committed to the appearance.
Nogueira, a former PRIDE fighter whose UFC career has been slowed by an assortment of injuries, was hoping to fight for the first time in 13 months. He would have been in search of his third consecutive win following impressive performances against former champs Tito Ortiz and Rashad Evans, which halted a two-fight skid.
While White admits he was partially to blame for the confusion, he’s certainly not giving Nogueira a free pass. Instead, the UFC boss said he doesn’t understand why the 37-year-old Brazilian, who’s fought just six times in four years as a UFC fighter, can’t stay healthy.
“The fight isn’t for four months, and he’s already determined he’s hurt,” White said. “I don’t understand that. The guy is always hurt. Every time you call him, he’s hurt.”
Gustafsson now fights Jimi Manuwa at the event.
(Pictured: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira)view original article >>
On Thursday, UFC President Dana White shot down rumors that Conor McGregor was in negotiations to appear at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans. Appearing on Good Day New York (h/t Corey Jacobs of Wrestli read news >>
Paige VanZant wanted to fight next weekend at UFC 216 but instead it appears she'll be laid up in bed trying to recover from any number of ailments that struck her recently. VanZant was scheduled to read news >>
UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Grappling standout Augusto Mendes will have to wait a little bit longer before making his return to the octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby reveals plans were in motion for Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov in November read news >>
Iaquinta vs. Felder appears to be the latest matchup headed to Detroit read news >>
Mixed martial arts fighter Henry Cejudo revealed he had to escape a burning hotel when he was caught in the middle of the wildfires that have spread across northern California. In an interview Monday read news >>
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira has been pulled from his planned bout with Jared Cannonier, which had been scheduled for Dec. 16 at UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg. read news >>
Edson Barboza is just waiting on a response from the undefeated Russian read news >>
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira took to social media to deny wrongdoing upon being informed of his failed drug test.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>