Former NFL star Herschel Walker (2-0) may want to close out his brief MMA career in the octagon, but UFC President Dana White isn’t yet sold on the idea.
“I’ll have to talk to him,” White said following a pre-event press conference for tonight’s UFC 158 event in Montreal. “First of all, the athletic commission would have to approve that.”
It’s been more than two years since Walker, who earlier this month celebrated his 51st birthday, stepped into the cage. He recently expressed a desire to compete in MMA again after two fights in the now-defunct Strikeforce promotion.
A return seemed unlikely when UFC parent company Zuffa purchased Strikeforce two months after his most recent fight, which came in January 2011. But according to Walker, that wasn’t for a lack of desire.
“I’d love to do it again,” Walker recently told the LaVar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes (106.7 The Fan in Washington, D.C.). “I absolutely love MMA. I think it’s an excellent sport.”
A lifelong martial artist, Walker worked with the famed American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., to prepare for the experience of fighting in MMA. Sporting the physique of an athlete far his junior, he earned two TKO victories over unheralded competition in the heavyweight division.
Still, White seemed skeptical about the idea of granting the former running back and Olympian a final fight, though he believed Walker’s fight contract is still valid.
The UFC executive has reason for concern. While the heavyweight division is generally considered to be less dense in talent, Walker likely would enter the cage against far more experienced opponents, which might present problems getting his fight sanctioned. A less-experienced opponent could be signed, however.
If Walker got the green light, he would become the second-oldest man to compete inside the octagon after Ron Van Clief, who had two months on the former footballer when he appeared at UFC 4 in 1994.
(Pictured: Herschel Walker)view original article >>
Having already sold the company, Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta have reportedly cashed in on their remaining investment in UFC. Forbes' Noah Kirsch reported the pair sold their rest of their shares in UF read news >>
Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, who bought the UFC for $2 million in 2001 before selling it for $4 billion in 2016, have “fully divested” in the MMA promotion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume says it’s always been the plan to set the UFC record for most consecutive title defensesFiled under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Amanda Nunes isn’t sure she’ll be able to return to her South Florida home after UFC 215 in Canada.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
One of the most dominant champions in UFC history returns to the Octagon this Saturday to defend his title against No. 3 ranked flyweight Ray Borg at UFC 215. read news >>
Preview the entire UFC 215 card with this fight-by-fight preview, featuring the main event title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg. read news >>
Valentina Shevchenko has moved beyond the frustrations of her postponed bout against Amanda Nunes, and is laser-focused on her chance to grab the women's bantamweight belt at UFC 215. Order UFC 215 n read news >>
Two members of the legendary Gracie family join the show as Renzo Gracie sits in with Jim and Matt. Plus, Amanda Nunes calls in to talk about her UFC 215 fight against Valentina Shevchenko and why sh read news >>