MONTREAL – Johny Hendricks’ wait is now over. His next fight will be for the title.
After an impressive “Fight of the Night” win over onetime title challenger Carlos Condit at Saturday’s UFC 158 event, Hendricks (15-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) was promised his next fight will be against UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC).
“He’s the No. 1 contender,” White said after the event. “Done. No doubt about it. The fight between him and Condit tonight was so sick.”
UFC 158, which featured a headliner between Goerges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz, took place at Montreal’s Bell Centre. The evening’s main card aired on pay-per-view.
Hendricks’ victory over Condit marked his sixth straight UFC win, and he’s lost just once in 16 professional outings. A two-time NCAA Division I national wrestling champion, Hendricks has developed a nasty striking game, as well, and he boasts first-round knockouts of Martin Kampmann and Jon Fitch in his current win streak.
White said there is currently no targeted date for the matchup. St-Pierre, who earned a unanimous-decision win over Nick Diaz in the night’s main event, said his immediate goal is to take a vacation. Hendricks also admitted there was concern his left hand may be broken, so the challenger will likely need time to heal before the fight can be booked.
When it does happen, Hendricks’ wrestling and powerful left hand will be his primary weapons. St-Pierre is widely considered one of the best wrestlers in all of MMA, but Hendricks’ pedigree leads him to believe he boasts the skills necessary to upset the longstanding champ.
“I believe I’ve got better wrestling than him,” Hendricks said. “I did it since I was 5. I also go back to Oklahoma State and train all the time. So yeah, I believe I’m a better wrestler. Also, I hit harder than him. That’s a proven fact, so I’m just excited for the opportunity. Hopefully I can finish him. That’s my goal.”
(Pictured: Johny Hendricks)view original article >>
Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>
Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Perhaps a change of scenery will do some good for former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks ahead of his UFC 217 bout.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>
Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>
The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>
For UFC Dana White, not canceling UFC 216 was a very important move, not for his company, but for his city. read news >>
Prior to the start of Saturday's UFC 216 event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, UFC President Dana White shared a video message about the mass shooting in the city on Oct. 1. Sports Illustrated's read news >>
Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
Former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks knows he might be in a do-or-die situation heading into his next fight at UFC 217. That's why Hendricks is pulling out all the stops to ensure he shows up read news >>