Despite pleas from both sides of the UFC 171 post-fight podium, the next welterweight contender has yet to emerge.
UFC President Dana White is holding off on deciding who’s next for newly minted welterweight champ Johny Hendricks (16-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC), who outpointed Robbie Lawler (22-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) in the headliner of Saturday’s pay-per-view event.
Asked by MMAjunkie what the promotions plans are for the division and whether key welterweight fights on the card produced a challenger for Hendricks, White simply said, “Nope.”
UFC 171 took place at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. The event’s main card aired live on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Two welterweights who were victorious in separate bouts bid for the position at the event’s post-fight presser. Tyron Woodley (13-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC), who earned a second-round TKO when former interim champ Carlos Condit injured his knee, repeated an earlier call for a title shot. And Hector Lombard (34-4-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC), who outpointed Jake Shields, unexpectedly put his name in the hat.
Of the two volunteers, it was Woodley’s bout that had the more unusual ending. Prior to the fight, Hendricks said he expected the winner of the fight to be a No. 1 contender. But with a less-than-decisive outcome, the question was whether anything had changed.
“I think it takes nothing away,” Woodley said. “I think if you break somebody’s arm in an armbar, or you put them in a choke and they don’t tap, it wasn’t like it came from a pre-existing injury. It came from a double-leg takedown. I saw that he was hurt and I went for the finish. I think I was dominating the fight, and that’s a hard guy to dominate.
“I asked for this fight because I didn’t think I was going to lose it. You guys fail to realize I’m in this to be a world champion, and I went after the top guy, and everybody was so quiet, and I blew [Dana White's] phone up until he probably couldn’t take it any more, because I want to be the world champ, and I think that alone, the persistence, warrants me a world title shots. Me and Johny Hendricks have some unfinished business from the big-12 days of wrestling, and I would love to get my hands on him.”
Lombard initially shied away from proclaiming his worthiness as a contender, but almost three-quarters of the way through the presser, he changed his mind.
“I would like to get that please,” said Lombard, motioning to a mind. “I beat the guy that [Hendricks] was himself calling for the right to fight for the belt, because he had, like, four wins. So I believe now that Robbie is out of the picture, I can be a tough challenge for him.”
For Hendricks, the answer to the question is to not say anything at all, at least for the moment. He said after years of calling out the champ, and then finally getting the belt, his play would be to keep his mouth shut and wait for the UFC to give him a fight.
In the meantime, his immediate plan is to return home and tend to the home front.
“I’m going to go home, kiss my wife, kiss my three little girls, (and) say that I’m going to be home for a little bit,” Hendricks said. “I’ll spend some time with them and be a father again. Just enjoy life.”
* * * *
Check out video highlights and a recap of UFC 171:view original article >>
Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>
Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>
Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>
The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>
For UFC Dana White, not canceling UFC 216 was a very important move, not for his company, but for his city. read news >>
Prior to the start of Saturday's UFC 216 event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, UFC President Dana White shared a video message about the mass shooting in the city on Oct. 1. Sports Illustrated's read news >>
Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
Country music artist Jason Aldean performed as a special guest on Saturday Night Live on Saturday and UFC president Dana White is livid about it. read news >>
UFC President Dana White says more than 1,500 first responders from the Las Vegas shooting will be at Saturday’s UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>