If UFC President Dana White has his say, UFC fighters won’t be giving interviews other than the weeks leading up to their next bout, and, presumably, right after they step out of the cage.
White, who addressed controversy over Matt Mitrione‘s rant against Fallon Fox on “The MMA Hour” during a teleconference in support of UFC on FOX 7, said the UFC heavyweight “didn’t even need to be doing an interview.”
“I’m going to talk to these guys,” he said. “The only time these guys really need to be doing interviews is leading up to fights.”
To White, such a solution appeared the easiest way to prevent a situation he called “a pain in the ass,” and which forced the industry-leader’s hand in taking action against Mitrione, who called transgender fighter Fox a “lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak.”
On Monday, just hours after Mitrione gave his interview, the UFC released a statement condemning Mitrione’s comments and announcing the promotion had suspended him indefinitely for violating a recently instituted code of conduct.
Mitrione has yet to comment publicly since his suspension. He deleted his Twitter account several months ago, and he has not posted on his Facebook fan page since his comments about Fox. His comments came on the heels of a 19-second win this past Saturday at UFC on FUEL TV 9 in Stockholm, which snapped a two-fight losing skid for the heavyweight veteran of Season 10 of “The Ultimate Fighter.”
For White, who is no stranger to controversial interviews, it was a situation that could and should have been avoided.
“It ended up being a nightmare for him,” he said. “What was the point of doing that interview? There was no point in it. Now, it’s caused him a bunch of headaches and problems and caused us a bunch of headaches and problems for no reason whatsoever.
“He had just fought; he wouldn’t fight again for another few months, and he’s still over there enjoying himself in Sweden. What was the point of doing that interview? What was the upside in that interview? There was none.”
Fox (2-0), who is set to fight Allana Jones (2-1) on May 24 at CFA 11, has yet to respond to Mitrione’s comments.
(Pictured: Matt Mitrione)view original article >>
Photo by ?Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports? Last year when Zuffa, LLC sold the UFC to Hollywood mega-talent agency WME|IMG for $4 billion—$3,998,000,000 more than Zuffa had paid for it just 15 years earli read news >>
UFC President Dana White doesn't "even think about the money" he's made from the UFC's rise and recent sale, according to what he said in a recent interview. But while multimillionaires might have th read news >>
UFC president Dana White admits that he gives Conor McGregor more leeway than he does other fighters on the fight promotion's roster. read news >>
When UFC former owners sold the fight promotion in July 2016 for $4.2 billion to WME–IMG, the promotion's longtime president, Dana White, was distraught. read news >>
While the full campus isn’t quite open just yet, UFC employees recently made the move into the company’s impressive new headquarters in Las Vegas, and CNN cameras were invited in for a sneak peek of read news >>
UFC president Dana White said that he's not sure if we'll ever see the Diaz Brothers, Nate and Nick, ever fight again. read news >>
Hours after the announcement, UFC President Dana White said nothing is official regarding a new women’s 125-pound weight class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White isn't sure if Nate Diaz will ever fight again. "If they want to fight next week or if they never want to fight again, that's up to them," he said when talking about Diaz and read news >>
Dana White will host a Summer Kickoff press conference with some of the athletes from UFC 212 through UFC 214. read news >>
Despite Anderson Silva's threats, UFC president Dana White declared there would be no interim title fight for The Spider. read news >>