On Tuesday, UFC President Dana White spoke about the decision he and the UFC were faced with after learning of Sonnen’s second failed test. The fighter already had been pulled from Saturday’s UFC 175 with the first failure, which led to his retirement from MMA.
But the second failed random test was the straw that broke the camel’s back, and the three-time title challenger was not only cut from his analyst duties with FOX Sports, but was released from the UFC entirely.
“It’s never easy making a decision like this,” White told “America’s Pregame” on FOX Sports 1 on Tuesday night. “Chael’s a person that I personally care about. I know a lot of people at FOX care about him, too. The guy had four banned substances in his system leading up to a fight here in Las Vegas. It’s a tough one – it’s one of those hard decisions you’ve got to make. It’s something we had to do.”
Sonnen (28-14-1) announced his retirement from MMA on June 11, shortly after a first failed drug test was announced in Nevada. He announced his retirement on FOX Sports 1's “UFC Tonight,” the weekly show he was co-host of alongside Kenny Florian.
Sonnen was randomly tested in late May in Las Vegas ahead of a scheduled UFC 175 fight against what was supposed to be Wanderlei Silva. Silva skipped out on a random test and was pulled from the fight; Vitor Belfort stepped in for him, but was left without an opponent when Sonnen was pulled after his failed test.
On June 17, Sonnen was temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, a move stemming from the first failed test.
On Saturday, it was reported that Sonnen failed a second test on June 5, and two additional banned substances were found in his system.
Sonnen, a 37-year-old Oregon native, also ran afoul with drug testing after his first fight with Anderson Silva, when he failed to properly disclose his use of testosterone-replacement therapy to the California State Athletic Commission. His approved use of TRT after that made him one of the sport’s poster boys for doctor-prescribed testosterone in cases where fighters’ natural levels of the hormone were below the standard.
view original article >>
Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>
Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>
Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>
The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>
For UFC Dana White, not canceling UFC 216 was a very important move, not for his company, but for his city. read news >>
Prior to the start of Saturday's UFC 216 event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, UFC President Dana White shared a video message about the mass shooting in the city on Oct. 1. Sports Illustrated's read news >>
Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White says more than 1,500 first responders from the Las Vegas shooting will be at Saturday’s UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
In the wake of the horrific Las Vegas shooting last weekend, UFC 216 is set to host more than 1,500 first responders and several of the shooting victims. read news >>