Ricardo Almeida UFC 117

Ricardo Almeida

With a heavy heart, UFC welterweight Ricardo Almeida has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Renzo Gracie black belt announced the news on his personal website on Wednesday.

Back in 2008 I decided to return to MMA. Since then I have had the privilege of fighting eight times in the UFC. As a competitor I can think of no bigger thrill than to stand in the center of the Octagon with my hands raised.

During these almost four years it has been a personal struggle to find balance between my fighting career, caring for my son who was diagnosed with Autism soon after I signed a six-fight deal with the UFC, teaching at my growing Jiu-Jitsu academy and the family duties we all have.

MMA is a great sport but also physically and mentally unforgiving. It is a dangerous task to step in the Octagon, (e)specially if your focus is not at 100%.

After much deliberation since my fight at UFC 128 I have decided to step away from the sport as a fighter.

I will continue to fully support the UFC as a coach and of course as a big fan. I would like to thank Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White for their leadership and vision, which brought the sport to new heights. I would also like to thank Joe Silva for giving me the opportunity to compete among the best martial artists in the world.

Renzo Gracie, Mark Henry, Frankie Edgar and all my teammates who I could not have gone through this challenge without.

Finally I would like to thank my wife, children and family as well as my students. You will have my integral dedication from here on.

Lastly the fans who make MMA the greatest sport there is.

Almeida’s manager Ali Abdel-Aziz from Dominance MMA also confirmed to MMAWeekly.com of Almeida’s intention to hang up his gloves.

“Ricardo is one of the greatest human beings I’ve ever known, and I’m honored to work with him,” Abdel-Aziz said to MMAWeekly.com. “Ricardo will always be part of the Renzo Gracie family, and no doubt he will be one of the best coaches in all of MMA.”

During his time with the sport, Almeida went 13-5 overall, while spending the majority of his career in the UFC and Pancrase.

His last fight in the UFC, and the sport, was a controversial decision loss to Mike Pyle.

Almeida walked away from MMA once before. Following a win over Ryo Chonan in Pride in 2004, Almeida decided to leave the sport and focus on his team and academies. In 2008, he decided to return and came to the UFC where he amassed an 5-3 record over the last few years.

As his statement said, Almeida will still be training several top fighters including UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and welterweight fighter Kris McCray.

MMAWeekly Radio will speak to Almeida about his decision on Thursday and air the interview at a later date.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Citing brain scan abnormality, UFC women's strawweight Aisling Daly announces retirement

Citing an abnormality that showed up on a recent brain scan, UFC women’s strawweight Aisling Daly today announced her retirement from MMA. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC announces New York economic impact study results from UFC 205

UFC announced results of an economic impact analysis following UFC 205: ALVAREZ vs. McGREGOR. Results of the study concluded the landmark event made significant contributions to the city and state wi read news >>

UFC's James Moontasri, 28, announces MMA retirement

Nine years after his pro MMA debut, 28-year-old James Moontasri has called it quits on his fighting career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC 208 loss, Phillipe Nover announces MMA retirement and return to school

After suffering his third straight UFC loss, Phillipe Nover has decided to call it quits on his MMA career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar notifies UFC of MMA retirement

Brock Lesnar, a former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE star, informed the UFC that he is retiring from MMA, a UFC official told MMAjunkie tonight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

USADA statement on revisions to UFC anti-doping policy

On Thursday, February 16, the United States Anti-Doping Agency announced several revisions to the UFC Anti-Doping Policy that will officially take effect on Saturday, April 1, 2017. To view the updat read news >>

Derrick Lewis Punches His Way to an Extra $50,000 (UFC Halifax Bonuses) | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the recipients of the $50,000 fighter bonuses from UFC Halifax following Sunday's event at Scotiabank Centre. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Granted Exemption, Cleared of UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

USADA on Friday announced that Cris Cyborg has been granted a retroactive Therapeutic Use Exemption and will therefore not face an anti-doping policy violation. read news >>

Namajunas vs. Waterson, 3 Other Bouts, Revealed for UFC on FOX 24 | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship officially announced UFC on FOX 24 on Saturday night, revealing four bouts for the card. read news >>

Sold-out UFC 208 draws announced 15,628 fans for $2,275,105 live gate, Barclays Center sports record

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Saturday’s UFC 208 event drew an announced attendance of 15,628 fans for a live gate of $2,275,105.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>