#UFC on Fox 26 #Robbie Lawler #Rafael dos Anjos #Mike Perry #Santiago Ponzinibbio #Jared Cannonier #Bellator 191 #UFC 218 #Josh Emmett #Ricardo Lamas #Oluwale Bamgbose #Alessio Di Chirico #Francis Ngannou #Glover Teixeira #Conor McGregor

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND - JUNE 11: Mark Hunt of New Zealand prepares to enter the Octagon before facing Derrick Lewis in their heavyweight fight during the UFC Fight Night event at the Spark Arena on June 11, 2017 in Auckland, New Zealand. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for PlayersVoice (Warning: NSFW language), giving a glimpse into the life of a veteran fighter.

"My body is f--ked but my mind is still here," he said. "I’ve still got my senses about me and I know what’s right and wrong, which is the main thing...You can hear me starting to stutter and slur my words. My memory is not that good anymore. I’ll forget something I did yesterday but I can remember the s--t I did years and years ago. That’s just the price I’ve paid—the price of being a fighter."

While Hunt didn't debut in the UFC until 2010, his pro career dates all the way back to 1998 when he began boxing in Australia. He eventually made the jump to kickboxing and became a popular star in Japan's K-1 promotion. In 2004, he transitioned into mixed martial arts with Pride FC and, in time, began competing under the UFC umbrella, where he established himself as one of the sport's most beloved fighters.

Part of the reason for his popularity has been his absurd toughness, demonstrating an inhuman ability to absorb punishment and then deal it back. But while he has always been capable of shaking off punches in the cage, the damage is accumulating out of the cage.

Despite that, Hunt says he isn't quite done yet, and his sights are still set on the top.

"Whenever I start something, I try to finish it. I’ve got three fights left. I want to win that world title," he said. "It’s a dream of mine to be a mixed martial arts world champion. I’ve been the best fighter in the world at kickboxing—they can’t take that away from mebut when I started in MMA I realized how great this sport is. It’s the ultimate combat sport and that’s why I want to be the world’s best at it."

For better or worse, Hunt has a date set for his next fight. On November 19, he will face Marcin Tybura at UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney, Australia.

Galleries

Mark Hunt Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Mark Hunt returns, meets Curtis Blaydes at UFC 221 in Australia

After questions about his future in the sport, veteran UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt is returning to the cage – close to home, no less.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mark Hunt Draws Curtis Blaydes at UFC 221 in Perth | MMAWeekly.com

Mark Hunt will finally get his fight in Australia, although it's not quite the one he wanted. Hunt had been slated to headline UFC Fight Night 121 opposite Marcin Tybura in Sydney in November, but so read news >>

Ricky Simon gets biggest opportunity of career at LFA 29 vs. UFC vet Chico Camus

• a day ago

The vacant bantamweight title is on the line tonight at LFA 29 in Minnesota, and both fighters hope a win means they’ll get a quick call from the UFC.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Alejandro Perez says he's still hungry at bantamweight after win at UFC-Fresno

For the first time in his career, Iuri Alcantara has a losing skid – and he has Alejandro Perez to thank for it. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Unbeaten Trevin Giles never wants to go to the judges in the UFC after Fresno win

Trevin Giles stayed perfect in his pro career on Saturday night, and wants to stay perfect in the UFC with nothing but stoppages. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Boxing-Related Death of UFC Vet Leads Edmonton to Ban Combat Sports | MMAWeekly.com

The boxing-related death of UFC veteran Tim Hague has led the Edmonton City Council to a moratorium on combat sports. read news >>

Referee and judges set for UFC 219's Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm title headliner

Veteran MMA referee Herb Dean will oversee Cris Cyborg’s first title defense as UFC women’s featherweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rashad Evans says commentating can make you 'feel stupid,' discusses move back to 205

Former UFC light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans is just trying not to look stupid – on either side of the cage.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC clears Mark Hunt to fight after brain tests completed

The UFC has given Mark Hunt the green light to fight again.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>