#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Conor McGregor #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #UFC 223 #Holloway vs. Edgar #Rose Namujanas

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND - JUNE 11: Mark Hunt of New Zealand prepares to enter the Octagon before facing Derrick Lewis in their heavyweight fight during the UFC Fight Night event at the Spark Arena on June 11, 2017 in Auckland, New Zealand. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for PlayersVoice (Warning: NSFW language), giving a glimpse into the life of a veteran fighter.

"My body is f--ked but my mind is still here," he said. "I’ve still got my senses about me and I know what’s right and wrong, which is the main thing...You can hear me starting to stutter and slur my words. My memory is not that good anymore. I’ll forget something I did yesterday but I can remember the s--t I did years and years ago. That’s just the price I’ve paid—the price of being a fighter."

While Hunt didn't debut in the UFC until 2010, his pro career dates all the way back to 1998 when he began boxing in Australia. He eventually made the jump to kickboxing and became a popular star in Japan's K-1 promotion. In 2004, he transitioned into mixed martial arts with Pride FC and, in time, began competing under the UFC umbrella, where he established himself as one of the sport's most beloved fighters.

Part of the reason for his popularity has been his absurd toughness, demonstrating an inhuman ability to absorb punishment and then deal it back. But while he has always been capable of shaking off punches in the cage, the damage is accumulating out of the cage.

Despite that, Hunt says he isn't quite done yet, and his sights are still set on the top.

"Whenever I start something, I try to finish it. I’ve got three fights left. I want to win that world title," he said. "It’s a dream of mine to be a mixed martial arts world champion. I’ve been the best fighter in the world at kickboxing—they can’t take that away from mebut when I started in MMA I realized how great this sport is. It’s the ultimate combat sport and that’s why I want to be the world’s best at it."

For better or worse, Hunt has a date set for his next fight. On November 19, he will face Marcin Tybura at UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney, Australia.

Mark Hunt Fights

• a year ago

C.B. Dollaway Discusses Injuries from Elevator Accident, Return to UFC

C.B. Dollaway has revealed he has "permanent damage" from the elevator accident he suffered back in September 2016. Dollaway said surgery is not an option to try to resolve the problem, per Shaun Al- read news >>

Rani Yahya dedicates UFC on FOX 28 win to late mother in emotional post-fight speech

An emotional Rani Yahya took the cage at UFC-Orlando just a little over a week after the death of his mother, “the biggest fan I had.” read news >>

Knockout Radio: UFC 222 Fighters CB Dollaway and Mike Pyle | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Knockout Radio's podcast featuring UFC 222 fighters CB Dollaway and Mike Pyle, as well as industry veteran Joe Favarito, and all the hottest MMA News. read news >>

Bellator signs former UFC title challenger, ex-WSOF champ Jon Fitch

Decorated MMA veteran Jon Fitch has signed a multi-fight contract with Bellator and vacated his welterweight title in the PFL. read news >>

After five straight losses, ex-UFC champ Andrei Arlovski finally started listening

Andrei Arlovski’s career has stretched decades, but during his most recent fight, he heard something he hadn’t in a long time: his cornerman. read news >>

Watch Frankie Edgar KO Chad Mendes, the Quickest Win of His Career (UFC 222 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Before Frankie Edgar takes on Brian Ortega in the co-main event of UFC 222, take a look back at the quickest win of Edgar's career against Chad Mendes in 2015. read news >>

UFC heavyweight wins record? 'And I still have another 18 years,' Andrei Arlovski jokes

Andrei Arlovski has tied the record for most career UFC heavyweight wins, but he stands a good chance of breaking it. read news >>

Andrei Arlovski Would Love to Fight at UFC 225 in Chicago | MMAWeekly.com

Veteran heavyweight Andrei Arlovski tied a heavyweight record at UFC 222. Now he wants to fight on his home turf at UFC 225 in Chicago. read news >>

UFC, Bellator, WEC vet Diego Nunes meets Yusuke Yachi at Rizin FF 10

A UFC, Bellator and WEC veteran will try to continue his resurgence after a few rough years when he makes his Rizin FF debut this spring. read news >>

UFC vet Rick Story signs with PFL for $1 million welterweight tournament

The PFL has snagged another notable MMA veteran for a $1 million tournament: Rick Story. read news >>

Self-described 'degenerate gambler' Jon Anik discusses rise of MMA betting

UFC commentator Jon Anik bets MMA the same way he does other sports: looking at the odds, not the fighters. read news >>

How UFC newcomer Alexander Hernandez's past in mortgage banking made him a better fighter

After making quick work of veteran Beneil Dariush in an impressive promotional debut, Alex Hernandez is ready for whatever “sacrificial lamb” the UFC has to offer. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 salaries: Jeremy Stephens banks event-high $126k for KO win

Veteran featherweight Jeremy Stephens added another knockout to his highlight reel and earned the event-high payout at UFC on FOX 28. read news >>

UFC Hall of Famer Pat Miletich discusses identifying talent, being wrong about Tim Sylvia

Pat Miletich is mostly spot on when it comes to identifying talent but admits he was off about Tim Sylvia when he entered the gym in 2001. read news >>

Why – 15 fights into UFC career – Brad Tavares is still volunteering for short-notice bouts

The meetings with Ronaldo Souza, Vitor Belfort and Michael Bisping didn’t happen, but it wasn’t for lack of trying on Brad Tavares’ end. read news >>

Fight Nights Global signs Brazilian veteran Adriano Martins

Seven-time UFC veteran Adriano Martins has signed with Russian promotion Fight Nights Global. read news >>

Search for: