#UFC London #Jimi Manuwa #Jan Blachowicz #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Tom Duquesnoy #Paul Craig #Terrion Ware #Magomed Ankalaev #Leon Edwards #Peter Sobotta #Charles Byrd #John Phillips #Oliver Enkamp #Danny Roberts

UFC Vet Leandro Issa Excited to Make ONE Championship Return | MMAWeekly.com

Leandro Issa picked up a couple of bonuses during his UFC career and could easily have come away with more. The BJJ black belt scored two highlight reel submission wins, both of them at the expense of champions from Asian promotions, but ultimately it wasn’t enough.

Instead Issa finds himself back with ONE Championship. It is four years since his last fight for the promotion, a hard fought decision win over Yusup Saadulaev, and he will be looking to work his way back up the bantamweight rankings he once headed.

In total, Issa fought five times for the UFC in four different countries. He got to compete in his native Brazil for the first time in seven years and is grateful for the experience.

“I enjoyed my time fighting in the UFC. I grew up watching the UFC, and ever since I started training BJJ I had a dream of fighting in the UFC, so it was a good experience.”

The Brazilian is set to face Toni Tauru in Macau on Saturday night at ONE: Kings & Conquerors

Leandro Issa for MMAWeekly“It’s great to be back with ONE, fighting in the biggest show in Asia alongside my Evolve teammates. I have been living in Singapore for more than eight years now, so I have a lot of support here in Asia and I’m excited for my fight.”

After making an early impression with two submission wins in his first three UFC fights, Issa is hoping for a similar statement on Saturday.

“My next fight is very important for me. It is my first fight back with ONE, so I’m eager to get off to the best start. I’ve been training really hard and I’m excited to put on a good show for the fans.”

He’s going up against a former Cage Warriors bantamweight champion and has been watching some footage of the Finnish fighter.

“I’ve seen some of Toni’s fights. He likes to grapple and is a decent striker too. I have been training hard here at Evolve with all the different world champions we have, so I’m well prepared for this fight. It’s going to be a good fight.”

The fight was originally set to take place in Surabaya last week, but was moved to Macau when last week’s event was canceled, but Issa is completely unfazed by the seven-day delay.

“The date change didn’t affect me. I just have to wait one more week and watch my diet for one more week. But my weight is good, so there are no worries. I’m glad ONE were able to reschedule me to this Macau card.”

It has been described as ONE Championship’s best card of the year. For Issa, getting to fight in the famous Cotai Arena is an unexpected bonus.

“I’m very excited to be fighting in Macau, it’s an even better card than Surabaya. There are a lot of great fights and Macau is a nice place. I’m expecting a good crowd there. I’m really excited.”

The event is headlined by a bantamweight title bout. Bibiano Fernandes is, as always, a firm favorite to defend his belt, but Issa already has one eye on that title.

“This is my first fight back in ONE, so I’m fully focused on this fight. After that I’m going to take it step by step, but my goal is to be the champion.”

Once change in the coaching set-up at Evolve MMA since Issa’s last fight has seen Brian Ebersole being installed as the head coach. Issa’s been working with the American veteran and says fans can expect to see him try out some new tricks in Macau.

“It’s great to have Brian here as the head coach of the Evolve Fight Team. He is really experience with tons of MMA fights, so the insight and advice he can give is invaluable. His wrestling knowledge is amazing and I’ve learned a lot from him. This is my first fight with him as the head coach, so you will be seeing some new things in my game.”

Issa has won three fights out of four for ONE Championship so far, beating Soo Chul Kim, Mazakazu Imanari, and Saadulaev. The Brazilian believes there is still time to realize his title ambitions with the promotion and he will be looking to pick up where he left off with a victory at ONE: Kings & Conquerors.

(Follow @JamesGoyder on Twitter)

Conor McGregor Stars in New 'Burger King' Commercial (VIDEO) | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is back — well sort of. The UFC lightweight champion...for now anyways...has landed a new commercial with Burger King as he helps them promote their new spicy chicken sandwich. McGrego read news >>

DraftKings UFC Austin $6,000 Strike Contest | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Austin is upon us and DraftKings is back with an awesome MMA $6,000 Strike contest! This contest is free for first time players. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 126: Cerrone vs. Medeiros Weigh-in Video | MMAWeekly.com

? (Courtesy of UFC) Watch the fighters step on the scale and make their UFC Fight Night 126 bouts official. TRENDING > UFC KO of the Week: Donald Cerrone's Head Kick Finish of Matt Brown Donald Cerro read news >>

Roberto Sanchez Sinks the Sub at UFC Austin (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Roberto Sanchez's submission victory over Joby Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 126 on Sun read news >>

Newbie Alex Morono Subs Veteran Josh Burkman at UFC Austin (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Alex Morono's impressive debut submission victory over Josh Burkman at UFC Fight Night 126 on Sunday in Austin, Texas. read news >>

Cerrone vs. Medeiros Best UFC Draw Ever in Austin | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Fight Night 126 pulled in the strongest gate and attendance yet for the UFC in Austin. read news >>

Brian Ortega: A Bad Match-up for the UFC Featherweight Division | MMAWeekly.com

After watching Royce Gracie in the early days of the UFC, a young Brian Ortega tried out jiu-jitsu -- and turned out to be a prodigy. read news >>

Sean O'Malley Entered UFC 222 with Fractured Foot | MMAWeekly.com

Sean O'Malley is a rising star in the UFC bantamweight division. The unbeaten prospect made his pay-per-view debut on Saturday on the main card of UFC 222. read news >>

Andrei Arlovski Would Love to Fight at UFC 225 in Chicago | MMAWeekly.com

Veteran heavyweight Andrei Arlovski tied a heavyweight record at UFC 222. Now he wants to fight on his home turf at UFC 225 in Chicago. read news >>

Max Holloway Slams Conor McGregor as the 'King of Chicken' | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway might be one of the only fighters on the UFC roster ready to go toe-to-toe with Conor McGregor inside or outside the Octagon. In an ongoing social media battle between the two champions, read news >>

Brian Ortega Stops Frankie Edgar in the First (UFC 222 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from the UFC 222 co-main event between featherweight contenders Frankie Edgar and Brian Ortega on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Mackenzie Dern Not Looking for Any UFC Shortcuts | MMAWeekly.com

Mackenzie Dern is one of the most highly decorated grapplers to ever step into the UFC Octagon. As such, expectations are high for her MMA career... but she's not looking for a rocket ride to the top read news >>

Anthony Romero Hoping to Move from KOTC to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

After an impressive run as an amateur, lightweight Anthony Romero has managed a solid start to his pro MMA career by winning his first two bouts. read news >>

Did Conor McGregor Try to Save UFC 222? Dana White Says 'Nothing About it Made Sense' | MMAWeekly.com

At the UFC 222 Post-Fight Press Conference, White confirmed that McGregor had indeed offered to step in and fight Edgar. But was it a serious offer? read news >>

Knockout Radio: UFC 222 Fighters CB Dollaway and Mike Pyle | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Knockout Radio's podcast featuring UFC 222 fighters CB Dollaway and Mike Pyle, as well as industry veteran Joe Favarito, and all the hottest MMA News. read news >>

Cris Cyborg: UFC 222 'is the Craziest Thing I've Done in My Life' | MMAWeekly.com

Stepping into the UFC 222 main event on short notice may just be the craziest thing Cris Cyborg has ever done. read news >>

Search for: