#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Joe Doerksen UFC 58After a string of four losses in five fights, middleweight veteran Joe “El Dirte” Doerksen has rebounded with back-to-back wins in his last two fights. He most recently scored an impressive victory over fellow former UFC fighter Kalib Starnes at Aggression FC 11 on Sept. 18 in Winnipeg, Canada.

“I feel like he fought better than he has in years, so it was tougher than maybe people were expecting it to be,” said Doerksen of the fight. “He came in great shape, ready and motivated; so I think I beat him at his best and I’m feeling really good about that.”

Doerksen was able to control much of the fight by sticking to his gameplan early and then making adjustments late to get the unanimous decision victory.

“The first two rounds went as I expected; I knew he’d try to take me down and I’d be able to strike him standing,” said Doerksen. “In the third round, he was kind of making adjustments and landing more punches, so I changed it up a little bit and took him to the ground and stayed on top him and tried to take away any chance of him landing a big punch.”

When asked if he feels a win over a tough opponent such as Starnes does a lot for his career at this point, Doerksen replied with a chuckle, “It will certainly do more than a loss.

“I think the biggest thing is that it was a really good fight. If it were an easy fight, I don’t really know if it would have been that impressed. I feel that he came so well prepared and it was so competitive that it helps more than anything.”

During his losing streak, rather than stubbornly stay the course or make wholesale changes, Doerksen told MMAWeekly.com that he tweaked his outlook a little and it’s paid off.

“One of the things I shifted focus on was fighting for money to fighting for fun,” he said. “I kind of turned it back into a hobby rather than a job. I don’t know if it’s made a huge difference, but I feel better and I’m having more fun with it, so I’m happy about that.

“I think it almost became monotonous. I’ve been fighting for so long that sometimes you just get unmotivated. After a break, I realized that this is what I wanted to do, and while I won’t be doing it forever, I’d like to do it to the best of my abilities with the time that I have left.”

At 34 years old, Doerksen doesn’t feel like hanging the gloves up just yet, but he acknowledges that the day isn’t far off when he will. Until then, he hopes he can make one more solid run and then go out on his terms.

“If the next one isn’t where I want it to be and as successful, then I think I’ll look at doing something different with my life,” he said. “I’ve been doing this for 13 years, but at some point I’d like to pursue other things in my life. It’s been great being a fighter, but I know I can’t be fighting at 45, that’s for sure.

“When I retire, I want to go out with a bang. I don’t want to retire now, but the last two (wins) especially have been really good, so I want to keep that streak going and have great fights for another 10 fights or so and reassess the situation and see how I feel.”

Comments

Dana White Engages in His Most Hilarious Podcast Interview Ever (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White joined UFC veteran Mike Swick for one of his most hilarious interviews ever. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 results: Francisco Trinaldo outpaces fellow veteran Jim Miller

Francisco Trinaldo had more left in the tank than Jim Miller as their fight wound down in Sao Paulo.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping: Georges St-Pierre's comeback will be '1 and done'

UFC champ Michael Bisping responded to Georges St-Pierre’s retirement threats with a similar type of promise.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The story of Gerald Harris' final slam

The story of what led up to UFC veteran Gerald Harris’ final slam, and why remorse only goes so far in the fight game.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight read news >>

Urijah Faber Says He'd Consider Ending Retirement for TJ Dillashaw Fight

UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber may be on the comeback trail. On Tuesday, TMZ Sports noted Faber would "consider coming out of retirement to fight TJ Dillashaw." However, Faber clarified he isn't look read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 pre-event facts: Matt Brown matches longtime record in retirement bout

Check out 80 facts, figures and footnotes about UFC Fight Night 120, which features Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier in the main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Matt Brown having second thoughts about retirement heading into UFC-Norfolk

Matt Brown is only a couple months removed from saying UFC Fight Night 120 against Diego Sanchez would be his final walk to the cage.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Referee and judge assignments set for The Ultimate Fighter 26 Finale

Veteran referee John McCarthy will oversee the fight for the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight title.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Andrei Arlovski Staves Off Retirement with Win Over Junior Albini (UFC Norfolk Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Andrei Arlovski staved off retirement with a unanimous nod over Junior Albini at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday in Norfolk, Va. read news >>

Matt Brown after UFC-Norfolk knockout win: Retirement decision can wait until later

Was Matt Brown’s highlight-reel knockout of Diego Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 120 his final appearance in the octagon?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>