#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP

Brenneman-Charlie-UFC117-1So far, 2013 has been a year of redemption for former UFC welterweight Charlie “The Spaniard” Brenneman.

Following his release from the promotion last year, Brenneman has put together a three-fight winning streak, mostly due to a decision on his part to make sure he’s more evenly matched physically with his opposition.

“I made the decision to move down to 155 pounds,” said Brenneman. “I wanted to fight often and win decisively.

“Fighting guys at 155 is much, much better than fighting guys at 170, because he guys at 170, especially in the UFC, their frames and muscle mass was so much more than I had. With guys at 155, I’d be hard pressed to find one functionally stronger than I am.”

Brenneman says the cut in weight was made easier by not having to make drastic changes in his diet.

“Basically, when I made the decision to drop down, it was just basic life changes like cutting out extra carbs, extra soda and extra sugar,” he said. “I really amped up my cardio, just straight running, and within a couple of months I was able to completely transform my body.”

Brenneman (18-5) will be looking to raise his winning streak to four Saturday night at the CFFC event in the Borgata Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., against Bellator veteran Ronnie Rogers (15-11).

“Stature-wise, Ronnie’s a short, stocky guy, so that’s something that will give me a reach advantage, so keeping the correct distance will be very important,” said Brenneman. “He’s probably going to want to stay off his back, so I have to make sure when I do close the distance, I do so intelligently and effectively.

“My game plan generally with my fights is that I want to push the pace, pressure him, break him and I want to finish him.”

Following his bout with Rogers, Brenneman told MMAWeekly.com that he intends to take time off for personal matters before returning by year’s end.

“My wife and I are expecting our first child in late September, so I’m going to take time off to get our new house and baby situated, and then I’ll get back into training as soon as I can and at least take one more fight by the end of the year.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

Report: Boston Salmon scratched from UFC Fight Night 119 bout vs. Raoni Barcelos

After an injury scrapped Boston Salmon’s initial opponent, an injury has now forced him to withdraw from UFC Fight Night 119.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Meet Oskar Piechota, who lives 10 minutes from UFC Fight Night 118 host

Fighters don’t get much more local than Oskar Piechota, who lives 10 minutes from the Ergo Arena that hosts UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Anthony Hamilton vs. Adam Wieczorek scratched from UFC-Gdansk, rescheduled for Nov. 18

Anthony Hamilton vs. Adam Wieczorek has been pulled from Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 118 lineup.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Benito Lopez' Display of Heart Earned Him a UFC Contract (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Benito Lopez showed tremendous heart and perseverance to earn himself a UFC contract on Week 7 of Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series. read news >>

After stumble out of gate, UFC Fight Night 118's Devin Clark turns back on 185 pounds

Now comfortable at light heavyweight, UFC Fight Night 118’s Devin Clark said he’s unlikely to go back to middleweight.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 play-by-play and live results (noon ET)

MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s UFC Fight Night 118 event. Join us live and official results from Gdansk, Poland.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 discussion thread

MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s UFC Fight Night 118 event in Gdansk, Poland. You can discuss the event here.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch UFC Fight Night 118's post-event press conference on MMAjunkie

Check out a live stream of today’s UFC Fight Night 118 post-event news conference.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

How to watch UFC Fight Night 118: Fight card, start time, online results, how to stream Cerrone-Till

For just the second time in company history, the UFC heads to Poland with today’s UFC Fight Night 118 matinee. Here’s how to watch.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 results: Josh Emmett posts 30-25 score on Felipe Arantes

Josh Emmett battered Felipe Arantes with his right hand while knocking the Brazilian to the mat four times in the first round before cruising to a unanimous-decision win. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>