#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Yushin Okami #UFC Fight Night 83

Alessio Sakara

Alessio Sakara

While he was successful inside the Octagon in 2010, UFC middleweight Alessio “Legionarius” Sakara had a very disappointing time outside of it as injuries and illness plagued his year.

It seemed that every time Sakara would get healthy, another issue developed and he was forced out of a fight, even on the very night he was to step into the cage.

“Unfortunately, I fought just once in 2010 (against James Irvin),” Sakara told MMAWeekly.com. “I wish I could be busier, but injuries happen very often in this sport.

“It was really frustrating, because I was well-prepared (for my follow-up), and it was an important fight for my career, but I guess everything happens for a reason. The most important thing is that right now I feel great physically and mentally, and I’m ready to go in there and look for a knockout.”

When Sakara returns to the UFC this Thursday at UFC on Versus 3, he will be looking to add on to his current three-fight winning streak, which he believes is the result of renewed focus and personal growth.

“In the past two years I’ve been more dedicated,” he commented. “I worked hard on my stand-up, my ground skills, and on my strength and conditioning. And most importantly I believe that being a father made me more mature.”

Sakara was supposed to face both Maiquel Falcao and Rafeal Natal this Thursday night, but both have been forced out of the fight, stepping in is Team Serra-Longo up and comer Chris Weidman.

“It’s gonna be a great test,” stated Sakara. “I know he’s a great wrestler, (and while) he’s got just four fights in MMA, I don’t want to underestimate him.

“Definitely experience will be a big factor in this fight. I’m sure he wants to win this fight so bad, but so do I.”

A win over Weidman could put Sakara firmly in the title hunt, but it’s not a belt that he is focused on, only the art of the fight itself.

“I feel like I don’t deserve a title shot yet, and I don’t want to look past Weidman,” said Sakara. “I want to fight more in 2011 and I want to test myself against the best fighters out there.”

Times in recent past have tested the resolve of Sakara, but he has weathered the storm and come out the better for it on the other side. Now that he’s healthy and focused, it’s a storm he intends his opponents to have to weather in the coming year.

“My last fight I was unable to compete at the very last minute and I felt like I let my fans down,” said Sakara in closing, “but I’m going to make it up to them with this fight!

“USQUE AD FINEM”

Comments

UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg Media Day Staredowns | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC 215 main card fighters faced off for photographers at Wednesday's Ultimate Media Day in Edmonton. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116: Rockhold vs. Branch Weigh-in Face-Offs Video | MMAWeekly.com

Watch as the fighters faced off in front of cameras following the official UFC Pittsburgh weigh-in, including some trash talk from Rockhold and Branch. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Japan Media Day Face-Offs Video | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) The stars of Fight Night Japan faced off after Tuesday's media day. No. 6 ranked light heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux welcomes Yushin Okami back to the Octagon on Friday. TRENDING > read news >>

Jim Miller vs. Francisco Trinaldo is 13th addition to UFC Fight Night 119 in Brazil

After putting out a call for an opponent – at lightweight or welterweight – Jim Miller will remain at 155 pounds.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Today, in gross-stuff news: UFC lightweight Dan Hooker's post-surgery knee

Dan Hooker’s right knee brought us excitement in June, when it delivered a knockout of Ross Pearson en route to a $50,000 bonus. His left one, however, isn’t doing too well at the moment.Filed under: read news >>

UFC 216 finalized: With Johnson-Borg addition, 1 bout moves from PPV to UFC Fight Pass

With the addition of a new title fight, next month’s UFC 216 lineup has experienced a slight shuffle.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Paige VanZant wrote a book, and here's the cover

UFC fighter, “Chopped” winner, “Dancing with the Stars” runner-up and now author? Paige VanZant is making the most of her time in the spotlight.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Betting Odds: Okami vs. Saint Preux Preview, Prediction

The UFC's return to Japan follows the theme of "the bigger the name, the bigger the odds" as UFC Fight Night 117 goes Friday night at the Saitama Super Arena. The card was originally topped by light read news >>

Why the UFC? Why not kickboxing? UFC-Japan's Gokhan Saki says fans are 'going to be in shock'

Before UFC-Japan, Gokhan Saki explains why he’s returning to fighting – this time with the UFC – after a decorated kickboxing career.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>