#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Paul Daley #Ovince St. Preux #Lorenz Larkin #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Gokhan Saki #Javy Ayala

Ulysses Gomez“Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness.”

-Napoleon Hill

In this life we all make hard choices to fulfill our dreams along the way, and for one Ulysses “Useless” Gomez it’s no different.

When UFC matchmaker Joe Silva made the call to Gomez to face John Moraga at UFC on Fox 4 on short-notice, the 29-year-old knew he had to put his life on hold.  Gomez had to make the hard choice of not being around his newborn son and leave him with his parents.

The former Tachi Palace Fights champion knows, though, with great sacrifice comes great reward.  Should he win, he’ll be able to provide a better future for his son and fulfill his lifelong dream of competing in the Octagon.

“It’s kind of hard because I just had my son and I have such a short time to train for this fight,” Gomez told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I kind of had to pawn off my son to my parents, so he’s been staying at my parents since I pretty much got word of the fight.  I don’t like that fact, but at the same time if I know that I’m going to take time away from him it’s going to be for a reason.  I don’t get to see him as much, and I know that me going out there that I’m going to be able to get him a better future.”

Despite the short notice and the heartache, the flyweight plans to make the most out of his UFC debut. Gomez realizes that come fight time he’s not going to freeze up. Being away from his son has only further motivated him to do well.

“I’m going to make the most of my experience.  I’m going to go out there and I’m not going to let the fact I’m fighting in the UFC paralyze me and just motivate me.  If you give me an inch, I’m going to take it a yard,” he promised.

“I never took a short-notice fight, so it’s kind of lingering in the back of my mind, but the same time I’m a fighter, you know?  It doesn’t matter if they call me on a day’s notice or a year’s notice.  Either guy can train 10 weeks and get knocked out in the first minute of the fight.”

In the end, Gomez has no regrets and would’ve taken the fight no matter how much time Joe Silva would’ve said he had to prepare. It’s moments like these that come once in a lifetime, and at UFC on Fox 4 on Saturday, Gomez will be ready to make the most of it.

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

DWCS winner Julian Marquez to make debut vs. Vitor Miranda at UFC on FOX 26

How will Julian Marquez follow up his ferocious win on Dana White’s Contender Series?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Reebok didn't flub Demetrious Johnson's T-shirt; UFC champ plans on changing his nickname

It looked like the UFC’s official apparel partner flubbed again with Demetrious Johnson’s nickname. Not so, says “Mighty Mouse” (for now).Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins added to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

December’s UFC on FOX 26 lineup has a few flyweight addition: former title challenger Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes thinks she won 4 of 5 rounds, plans to take off rest of 2017

UFC women’s bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes has no doubt she dominated Valentina Shevchenko, winning four of five rounds in their rematch at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov moved from Brazil to UFC on FOX 26 in Canada

Brazil’s loss is Canada’s gain as Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov has been moved to Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

… (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from .... at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. UFC 215 took place on Saturday, Sept. 9, at read news >>

Luke Rockhold Plans Move to Light Heavyweight After Daniel Cormier Retires | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has some unfinished business in the UFC middleweight division, but it doesn't sound like the former champion plans on staying at 185 pounds that much longer. On Saturday night, Rockhold read news >>

UFC-Japan broadcast plans set for FXX, including Alan Jouban's analyst debut

UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan this weekend will feature the in-studio debut of a new fight analyst.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

• a day ago

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>