#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

Jon-Jones-UFC-136-368-478x270UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been rewriting UFC history and has the opportunity to add another accolade to his growing list of accomplishments at UFC 165 when he faces Alexander Gustafsson.

Jones is the youngest fighter to ever capture a UFC title.  He’s the youngest fighter to ever defend a UFC title.  He currently holds the longest winning streak in UFC light heavyweight history.  He is tied with former titleholder Tito Ortiz with the most successful UFC light heavyweight title defenses with six, but that all could change on Sept. 21.

During a recent media conference call, Jones was asked about potentially passing Ortiz’ record and if chasing history is a goal of his.

“Yes, absolutely. You know, I set that a long time ago,” said Jones. “I’ve set a lot of goals and becoming the greatest light heavyweight record-wise is definitely a big goal of mine.”

Jones doesn’t just have his sights set on the light heavyweight title defense record, he’d like to surpass Anderson Silva’s record for the most consecutive UFC title defenses.  Silva’s record ended at 10 when he lost to Chris Weidman at UFC 162.

“Guys like Anderson Silva with 10 title defenses, it just motivates me a lot. It’s just to keep moving forward and things like that,” he said.  “So, yes, this record means everything to me and did kind of since my very first fight.”

When Silva lost to Weidman, he relinquished his long-standing top pound-for-pound ranking.  Jones took over the position and holding on to it motivates the 26-year-old.

“Yes, it’s really motivating to me to have that rank. What it does for me is just… it helps me push harder and the days where I feel sorry for myself, I’m sore and tired, I think to myself,  ‘I’ve earned all this and, you know, it’s for a reason.’ It’s because I have a special work ethic,” said Jones.

“It just drives me to just continue to work hard. It drives me to push harder and to realize that I’m here for a reason and I need to continue to be that hard worker that I’ve been. And so yes, it’s just great. I’m really excited about it and after this fight, after this win, I’ll feel that the ranking is a little more justified.”

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

As Demetrious Johnson targets one UFC record, watch when he set one that can't be broken

At next month’s UFC 215 event, Demetrious Johnson will look to make UFC history – again.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Jones notified of potential doping violation in wake of UFC 214 title win

Jon Jones was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of a potential failed test, his third overall.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Fails Drug Test Following UFC 214 Win Over Daniel Cormier | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones is in hot water…again. Jones has been notified of a potential doping violation by USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) for a drug test that was administered in competition on July 28 fo read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Tested Positive for Steroids in UFC 214, Stripped of Title

Jon Jones' reign as the UFC light heavyweight champion appears to be over after less than a month. TMZ Sports reported Tuesday that Jones tested positive for Turinabol and has been stripped of his ti read news >>

Twitter reacts to stunning news of Jon Jones testing positive for steroids in wake of UFC 214

Check out how the MMA community reacted to the stunning news of Jon Jones’ latest positive drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Reacts to Jon Jones' Positive Steroids Test Before UFC 214 Win

UFC star Jon Jones reportedly tested positive for Turinabol, an anabolic steroid, prior to his UFC 214 win over Daniel Cormier, according to TMZ Sports. Brett Okamoto of ESPN confirmed the news, alth read news >>

Dana White and Jeff Novitzky to Address Jon Jones UFC Anti-Doping Violation at 10:45p ET | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White and Jeff Novitsky, the UFC's vice president of athlete health and performance, are holding a Jon Jones press conference, Tuesday at 10:45p ET. read news >>

Jon Jones' Team Releases Statement Following Failed Drug Test from UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Following news that he failed a drug test administered ahead of his fight with Daniel Cormier at UFC 214, Jon Jones and his team released a statement on Tuesday night. UFC officials confirmed that Jo read news >>

Daniel Cormier Responds After Jon Jones Fails Drug Test Following UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier has experienced a roller coaster of emotions over the past few weeks. The former light heavyweight champion suffered only the second loss of his professional fighting career at UFC 214 read news >>

Dana White and Jeff Novitzky: Jon Jones UFC Anti-Doping Violation Scrum (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White and Jeff Novitzky held an impromptu media scrum on Tuesday addressing the breaking news of Jon Jones testing positive for steroids. read news >>