The news was announced by Golden Glory’s lead counsel, Rick Lindblom, on Tuesday.
A longtime member of the Golden Glory gym, Overeem severed ties with the Netherlands-based fight team and management firm in September of last year and filed suit that November against Golden Glory parent company Knockout Investments (KOI) in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging that the team owed him $151,000 in back pay.
In response, KOI countersued Overeem in Nevada’s Clark County Civil Court before “The Demolition Man” fought former UFC heavyweight king Brock Lesnar at UFC 141, alleging that Overeem breached his contract when he failed to pay Golden Glory a 30 percent commission following his victory over Fabricio Werdum in the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix quarterfinals.
“Everyone worked extremely hard to resolve these matters so that KOI, Golden Glory and [Golden Glory founder] Bas Boon can walk away and move forward with the Glory World Series Promotion in Europe, Japan and the USA, and Alistair Overeem can concentrate on his fighting career with his new manager Glenn Robinson at Authentic Sports Management and his new team, the Blackzilians,” Lindblom stated in the release.
Overeem won the Strikeforce heavyweight title in 2007 and successfully defended his belt against the heavy-handed Brett Rogers in 2010. The 32-year-old signed with the UFC in September 2011, three months after his unanimous decision victory over Werdum and subsequent release from Strikeforce.
Following his first-round knockout of Lesnar, Overeem was scheduled to challenge Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight crown this past May. However, the Dutchman was removed from that UFC 146 booking after he failed a pre-fight drug test that prompted the Nevada Athletic commission to suspend the fighter for nine months. Overeem is now slated to return to the Octagon against former EliteXC titlist Antonio Silva on Feb. 2 at UFC 156, provided “The Reem” is granted a license by NAC after his suspension ends next month.view original article >>
A pair of high-profile matchups can take the “targeted” and “reportedly” tags off for UFC 213.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Watch Stipe Miocic make his first title defense in his hometown of Cleveland, Ohio at UFC 203 against Alistair Overeem. read news >>
Watch Stipe Miocic thrill his hometown crowd with his first title defense as he knocks out Alistair Overeem at UFC 203.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Neither fight cam a surprise, but the UFC on Wednesday confirmed two marquee bouts for its UFC 213 fight card slated for International Fight Week. read news >>
After a stint in the featherweight division, former lightweight champ Anthony Pettis will return to the 155-pound weight class to take on Jim Miller at UFC 213. read news >>
Check out the full results for Episode No. 3 of “The Ultimate Fighter 25: Redemption.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Hours after the announcement, UFC President Dana White said nothing is official regarding a new women’s 125-pound weight class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White isn't sure if Nate Diaz will ever fight again. "If they want to fight next week or if they never want to fight again, that's up to them," he said when talking about Diaz and read news >>
The UFC’s debut event on Long Island this summer has another fight featuring a local – and it’ll be a rematch.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Now former WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje late Wednesday night said his next move is a done deal.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF read news >>