MENU
#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Nate Diaz #GGG #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping #Jon Jones


It’s not standard operating procedure that the Ultimate Fighting Championship starts putting together a fight and promoting it before a fighter under suspension returns and regains his license to compete.

That’s exactly what is happening, however, with former Strikeforce, Dream and K-1 champion Alistair Overeem.

Overeem is expected to step in the Octagon with Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva on Feb. 2 at UFC 156 in Las Vegas, little more than a month after his current nine-month suspension is fulfilled.

Overeem must still go before the Nevada Athletic Commission at it’s monthly meeting in January to get approved for his license. That will be early to mid-month, which is pushing it pretty close for a fight that is slated for just a couple weeks later.

UFC president Dana White on Saturday night acknowledged the special circumstance, confirming to reporters following UFC 154, that they asked for and received permission from the Nevada commission to go ahead and start promotion Overeem for UFC 156.

“We asked the commission, can we start setting up a fight for him, but he’s still got to go before the commission (in January),” explained White.

That’s not to say that things couldn’t go awry. It’s highly unlikely that the Nevada commission would approve of promoting an Overeem bout if he wasn’t likely to regain his license in the state, but it’s not guaranteed that he will automatically be granted a license either.

“I think Alistair has been doing the right thing as far as the commission is concerned and doing all the things that he needs to do to get back in their good graces,” said White. “It’s looking positive and optimistic because he’s been doing what he’s supposed to do.”

One other fighter that could be eligible to come back from suspension soon, as well, is Nick Diaz. He is currently serving a 12-month suspension for a second marijuana offense in Nevada.

There had been some chatter on Twitter recently that Diaz and Josh Koscheck agreeable to fighting each other on the UFC 156 fight card. The problem being, Diaz’s suspension runs through Feb. 4 before he is eligible to reapply for his license in Nevada.

So would the UFC be granted any sort of exception for Diaz to return?

“Nope,” White put it bluntly, although he didn’t exactly say that they had even asked permission to promote Diaz, nor did he indicate they were working on a fight for him.

Diaz, of course, has had a much more contentious relationship with, well, just about everyone, but particularly with the Nevada Athletic Commission. His licensure may not be as cut and dry as Overeem’s is likely to be, plus, UFC 156 falls on Feb. 2, two full days before the duration of Diaz’s suspension, making it a much different scenario.

While Diaz appears to be mired on the sidelines, however, expect to see Alistair Overeem back in the Octagon at UFC 156 on Super Bowl weekend.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC news and updates.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Galleries

Alistair Overeem Fights

  • a year ago
  • 2996 views

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

Dana White, Conor McGregor Discuss Possible Ownership Stake in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 14 views

Last November following his stunning second round finish over Eddie Alvarez to become the first ever simultaneous two division champion in UFC history, Conor McGregor immediately turned his attention read news >>

Dana White Says Jon Jones Just Can't Get Out of His Own Way | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 239 views

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will have the opportunity to make a defense after he tested positive for steroids following his win over Daniel Cormier last month but the damage done publicl read news >>

Jon Jones' Steroid Test 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Mistake, Dana White Says

  • 28 days ago
  • 34 views

UFC President Dana White isn't holding out hope Jon Jones will be cleared when his positive drug test receives further scrutiny. White told TMZ Sports Thursday it's "highly unlikely" Jones' B sample read news >>

Dana White Denies Floyd Mayweather's Claims of IV Use by Conor McGregor

  • 28 days ago
  • 15 views

UFC President Dana White is defending Conor McGregor after Floyd Mayweather Jr. said the mixed martial arts star needed to use IV bags to stay hydrated in preparation for Saturday's megafight. Speaki read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 67 views

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>

Dana White More Nervous About Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather Than Any Other Fight Ever | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 59 views

UFC president Dana White is more nervous about Conor McGregor's boxing bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. than any other fight... ever. read news >>

Dana White isn't optimistic about UFC champ Jon Jones' B sample, laments what could've been

  • 27 days ago
  • 38 views

In two words, UFC President Dana White sums up the Jon Jones situation after a failed drug test: “It’s bad.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Francis Ngannou: Since Alistair Overeem can't fight, how about Stipe Miocic at UFC 218?

  • 26 days ago
  • 32 views

With things being the way they are currently, Francis Ngannou figures he might as well cut to the chase.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White's custom Conor McGregor T-shirts for fight week

  • 26 days ago
  • 7 views

UFC President Dana White has been Conor McGregor’s No. 1 fan during the entire build-up to “The Money Fight.”Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Says He Is 'So Proud Of' Conor McGregor After Floyd Mayweather Fight

  • 26 days ago
  • 29 views

Dana White, president of the UFC, told reporters he's "so proud" of Conor McGregor after the 29-year-old Irish star of the Octagon lasted 10 rounds against Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena read news >>