#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Jon Jones #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #UFC 215 #Michael Bisping

Demetrious JohnsonNo athlete can stay on top forever. Every fighter eventually loses. And UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has no delusions that he’s any different. He knows he’s one punch, kick or submission away from losing his belt and falling in the rankings.

In fact, Johnson doesn’t pay much attention to rankings, although he sits atop the 125-pound division and is in the top five of the pound-for-pound rankings.

“I have no control over (the rankings). The only thing I have control over is the way I train and the way I perform in the Octagon. I’m more conscious about that. Pound-for-pound rankings, it just shows it’s really hard to go undefeated in this sport when you’re at the top of the level,” the champion told The Great MMA Debate Podcast. “So for me, pound-for-pound is awesome. I’m very happy that everybody sees me as No. 3 or 4, but at the end of the day I can get knocked off that list like anybody else.

“I think mixed martial arts is just like wrestling. You’re going to compete with the best in the world. You’re going to compete with a lot of different people and you can get beat on any given night,” added Johnson. “You can lose on any give night. I know when I fight at UFC 174, I know I can lose that belt. I know that can happen.”

Knowing that a loss is always looming in the shadows is what keeps Johnson humbled. It’s what keeps him grounded.

“That’s where my humbleness comes from. Yeah, I’m the best in the world and all that stuff. But all it takes is one punch and your whole life could change. I’m aware of that,” said Johnson. “I’m not going to be naïve and live in a fantasy world. I’m the best fighter in the world until somebody beats me and then they’re the best fighter in the world and all the limelight is on them.”

Johnson puts his title on the line for the fourth time at UFC 174 on Saturday against Ali Bagautinov who is riding a ten-fight winning streak. It’s the first time the flyweight division has been featured in a main event on pay-per-view, but for Johnson it’s just another fight.

“At the end of the day, it’s just another fight. It’s going to be on pay-per-view. I’m still training whether it’s going to be on FOX or FOX Sports 1. It doesn’t matter to me. It’s just another fight. But it’s awesome for the flyweights to get to headline their first pay-per-view and hopefully it does well.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs Ray Borg Media Call (FULL Audio) | MMAWeekly.com

Listen in on the UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg media conference call featuring Demetrious Johnson, Ray Borg, Amanda Nunes, and Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Predicts Mayweather vs. McGregor Upset | MMAWeekly.com

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson breaks down the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor super fight and predicts an upset. read news >>

Despite another long layoff, Siyar Bahadurzada staying positive at UFC Fight Night 115

Despite another long layoff, this time for a year and a half, Siyar Bahadurzada is ready to crush his goals at UFC Fight Night 115.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Extended Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Take an extended preview into UFC 215, which features the flyweight title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg and women's bantamweight title bout. read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson is fine being a target for others, but he has UFC history to make first

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson reflects on being called out by Cody Garbrandt and T.J. Dillashaw and the potential for future fights with them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>