Demetrious Johnson successfully defended his UFC flyweight title for the first time Saturday night, taking a hard-fought unanimous decision over John Dodson in the main event of UFC on Fox 6.

In Dodson, Johnson faced arguably his greatest test at 125 pounds to date. After a competitive first frame, “The Magician” proved his status as No. 1 contender was warranted in the second stanza, when he twice dropped “Mighty Mouse” with hard left hooks.

“The first couple of rounds were hard. He showed some stuff that I wasn’t ready for, and I had to dig deep like a champion and pull through and keep the pressure on him,” said Johnson. “He was fast. I should have just followed the game plan, but I was getting greedy and too excited, and I was standing there, brawling with him. Then I got caught. I got up, and I was like, ‘You’re alright. Just relax and breathe, and you’re going to get through it. You just got caught.’”

After hitting the deck in the second frame, Johnson saw his superior conditioning take over as the bout wore on. Though Dodson’s fast hands and explosiveness have proved a challenge for the champion the early going, it was Johnson who appeared the fresher of the men down the stretch, a fact that he attributes to both his preparation and Octagon experience.

“Anybody can be fast in the first couple of rounds. My wife is fast in the first round, but it’s a five-round fight. You’ve got to be fast all five rounds, and I am,” said Johnson. “Going five rounds with Joseph [Benavidez] and Dominick [Cruz] and six rounds with Ian McCall, that stuff is all under my belt. Now I went five rounds with a guy who isn’t faster than me, but he’s close. Going five rounds with him helps me out a lot. That’s what other fighters have to look forward to when they fight me.”

The championship rounds were particularly impressive for Johnson, despite accidentally catching a downed Dodson with an illegal knee to the head during a fourth-round flurry. Mighty Mouse then closed the distance on his hard-hitting foe in the final frame, controlling him in the clinch while punishing the challenger with knees, punches and elbows.

“If you look at all of John Dodson’s fights, he does not like to be in the clinch,” said Johnson. “When you’re clinching with Matt Hume and getting kneed by him on a daily basis, you’re ready for a knee from anybody in the flyweight or bantamweight division.”

Though Johnson is regarded by many as one of the sport’s top pound-for-pound talents, the AMC Pankration product says he is by no means satisfied with his resume as it currently stands.

“I’m just a hard worker,” said Dodson. “I know I still have lots to improve on. I’m ready to go back home and get ready for my next fight and keep on improving as a mixed martial artist.”

UFC on FOX 23 post-fight facts: Francis Ngannou overtakes lead for consecutive UFC finishes

For the first time since UFC on FOX 4 in August 2012, every fight on a FOX-televised main card ended in a stoppage. As we learn in the post-event facts, Francis Ngannou’s knockout set a new high amon read news >>

Chan Sung Jung full media scrum ahead of UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – For the first time in more than three years, “The Korean Zombie” will step into the UFC octagon. Check out his media scrum from today’s UFC Fight Night 104 open workouts.Filed under: News, read news >>

Wilson Reis did what asked – 'now give me the title fight' with UFC champ Demetrious Johnson

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Wilson Reis is no longer asking for a title fight. No, after coming so close to getting his shot at the belt, the flyweight contender is demanding what he feels is rightfully and pai read news >>

Wilson Reis is going to call out flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson if victorious at UFC 208

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – UFC flyweight Wilson Reis went from a title shot against champ Demetrious Johnson to a preliminary-card bout against the unranked Ulka Sasaki.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

Cub Swanson vs. Artem Lobov headlines UFC Fight Night 108 in Nashville on April 22

Artem Lobov has successfully talked himself into the biggest fight of his MMA career. The close friend and training partner to UFC champ Conor McGregor will fight Cub Swanson in April’s UFC Fight Nig read news >>

UFC 208 video highlights: Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson

For the first time since 2012 – officially, anyway – the legendary Anderson Silva won a fight. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

New UFC Announcer Todd Grisham on His Debut and Working with Vince McMahon

For the first time since 2012, a new voice will call the action at a North American UFC event when Todd Grisham takes over the play-by-play duties for the UFC on Fox Sports 1, Sunday in Halifax, Nova read news >>

Hendricks vs. Lombard Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 105

For the first time since UFC 185, Johny Hendricks is in the win column. At UFC Fight Night 105, the former welterweight champion likely saved his career by taking a unanimous decision win at the expe read news >>

Sergio Pettis taking his time before challenging UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson

HALIFAX – The UFC has a history of throwing contenders at UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson before many beleived they were ready to face the pound-for-pound king. Sergio Pettis doesn’t want t read news >>

DJ says he'd consider going after second belt

DEMETRIOUS JOHNSON WOULD CONSIDER CHASING SECOND UFC BELT 'IF THE MONEY'S RIGHT' By NESN Staff read news >>