#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Kristina Williams #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Bellator MMA #Sam Alvey #Ramazan Emeev

Following his finish of John Moraga at UFC on Fox 8 on Saturday night, Demetrious Johnson is already looking forward to his next in-cage appearance.

While “Mighty Mouse” asserted his happiness to continue defending his UFC flyweight title, Johnson (Pictured, file photo) also said he is game for another kind of fight.

“I’ve beaten the best of the best in the flyweight division, but there are still up-and-coming fighters in there. I know there are some key matchups coming up pretty soon,” Johnson said at the post-fight press conference.

“There are still a couple of flyweights out there I haven’t fought, and I wouldn’t mind fighting them -- whatever the UFC wants me to do. I think everybody was focused on Anderson Silva and [Georges St. Pierre], but I think we can make some fun superfights down in the lighter weight divisions with the flyweights fighting the bantamweights. Let’s see what happens. I’m just here to fight and have fun and put on a good performance for the UFC and the fans.”

Johnson, who has also beaten Joseph Benavidez, Ian McCall and Jon Dodson since joining the UFC’s nascent flyweight division last year, put forth arguably the most impressive performance of his career tonight at Seattle’s KeyArena by submitting Moraga in the fifth round. After using his wrestling to control Moraga for the majority of the 25-minute contest, Johnson tapped his larger challenger with a last-minute armbar to retain his belt, marking the champ’s first stoppage win in the UFC.

“My job in the gym is to train to finish. I was trying to finish him in the first round with a guillotine, and then I had opportunities with the kimura. Then in the fifth round, even though I was ahead on the scorecards, I’m never just relaxing and trying to coast. My job is to finish and push the pace. [The opportunity] arose, and I just took it,” said Johnson. “I’m just trying to evolve my game. I’m a white belt in jiu-jitsu, so I’m just using my wrestling to get to a position where I can use the submission. It just so happened that the opportunity was there. Usually when I fight guys, they shell up.”

Despite his masterful performance, Johnson gave credit to Moraga, who gamely fought out of Johnson’s prior submission attempts and top control.

“John Moraga was doing a good job,” said Johnson. “Out of all the people I’ve fought, he’s the one who showed up in shape and never gassed out. He was always there, every single round. He’s a tough guy.”

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC 216 bonuses: Demetrious Johnson's late finish became his eighth UFC fight-night bonus

Demetrious Johnson, John Moraga, Bobby Green and Lando Vannata each earned $50,000 fight-night bonuses at Saturday’s UFC 216 event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fighter Demetrious Johnson Sets Record for Consecutive Title Defenses

Fact: Demetrious Johnson sets record for consecutive title defenses with 11. Bleacher Report will be bringing sports fans the most interesting and engaging Cold Hard Facts of the day, presented by Co read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson breaks down 'Mighty Armbar,' reveals potential knee injury

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg: 'Sneaky' UFC champ Demetrious Johnson was like 'fighting my future self'

Ray Borg was humble in defeat following his wild submission loss to UFC champ Demetrious Johnson at UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Glad Anderson Silva's Name is No Longer by His for UFC Record | MMAWeekly.com

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson etched his name in the history books on Saturday night in Las Vegas. In the UFC 216 co-main event, he submitted Ray B read news >>

UFC 216 results: John Moraga KOs 6-1 favorite Magomed Bibulatov with vicious left hand

Against an unbeaten prospect who was a 6-1 favorite, ex-title challenger John Moraga didn’t have many picking him to beat Magomed Bibulatov.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

John Moraga's UFC 216 KO of Magomed Bibulatov is even more glorious in super slow motion

This is how you bring a hype train to a screeching halt.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 preview: A closer look at Demetrious Johnson's career statistics

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson returns tonight in search of history in UFC 216’s co-headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Demetrious Johnson's insane submission, record-setting title defense at UFC 216

See the top Twitter reacts to Demetrious Johnson’s title defense vs. Ray Borg in the UFC 216 co-main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 results: Insane Demetrious Johnson armbar forces Ray Borg tap in fifth round

Demetrious Johnson was cruising to a decision win. Then he submitted Ray Borg with one of the slickest armbar transitions you’ll ever see.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>