#UFC Fight Night 55 #UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP

glover-teixeira-19.jpgBELO HORIZONTE, Brazil – Glover Teixeira is not the kind of man to call someone out. Humble, even a little quiet, the 33-year-old slugger prefers not to rock the boat. However, with a title shot on the horizon, Teixeira admits he’s got a specific target in mind.

With his UFC Fight Night 28 win over Ryan Bader (15-4 MMA, 8-4 UFC), Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) earned a shot at the winner of UFC 165's title fight between light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson, and the Brazilian contender admits he’s prefer to fight the reigning champ.

“My dream is to get the belt, but I believe Jon Jones will win,” Teixeira said after Wednesday’s event. “That’s the way I see it, and I definitely prefer to fight him, in a certain manner because Jon Jones has a better name. He’s been a champ for a long time, so whoever goes to face him has to be very focused, very well-trained.”

Teixeira and Bader met in the main event of Wednesday’s UFC Fight Night 28 event, which took place at Mineirinho Arena in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. The card marked Teixeira’s first UFC headlining slot, as well as his first professional fight in his home state.

The win didn’t come easy, as Bader was able to rock him twice in the opening round but was unable to secure the finish. Instead, Teixeira picked himself up off the canvas and landed a thunderous two-punch combination that sent Bader crashing to the floor.

Teixeira quickly followed, earning a first-round TKO stoppage.

Afterward, Teixeira was visibly upset with his performance. He later explained he was simply disappointed to have allowed himself to be hit so cleanly.

“I was thinking a lot about the knockout, and I was waiting for that,” Teixeira said. “I was waiting for him to punch me so I could counter him, but I was very close to him. That’s where he got me. I remembered we always have to move, and we always have to be first. I have to do my strategy, which is always to move the head around and to go forward and to make those punches connect. I didn’t move around, and that’s where the problems started.

“I was a bit upset because despite Ryan Bader being a huge athlete and a great fighter, we always want to be the guy who goes in and dominates. I think the secret of the fight is for us to hit and not get hit, to punch and not get punched.”

Despite the early struggles, Teixeira did earn the victory, giving him an incredible 20-fight winning streak. After the press conference, he admitted he may have been a little hard on himself and that legendary Brazilian slugger Pedro Rizzo had advised him to recognize the magnitude of his win.

Either way, it appears a title shot is in his future. And if Teixeira’s prediction is correct, it will come against Jones, the man currently considered the world’s best pound-for-pound and light-heavyweight fighter, according to the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA rankings.

Teixeira thinks he’s got a plan to unseat the champ.

“The knockout power, I believe I have it, and if I hit him, he’s going to go down,” Teixeira said.

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 28, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Glover Teixeira Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Donald Cerrone Issues Statement Following Crushing Loss to Darren Till at UFC Gdansk

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Darren Till. He released a statement shortly after the event. read news >>

UFC champ Cody Garbrandt calls T.J. Dillashaw 'a gimme,' looks toward 'Mighty Mouse'

UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt expects ex-champ T.J. Dillashaw to be a stopover on his ultimate goal of taking the title from flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson.Filed under: Featured, News, read news >>

Derek Brunson Expects the Best Lyoto Machida, the Machida that was UFC Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Derek Brunson is expecting the championship caliber Lyoto Machida, despite the Dragon's two-year layoff. read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir's attempt to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier kind of backfired

Volkan Oezdemir tried to use Luke Rockhold to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier, but it backfired.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

What Kind of Champion Will Georges St-Pierre Be for the UFC Middleweight Class?

The MMA world got its first look at Georges St-Pierre, Version 2.0, Saturday at UFC 217—and the early returns were spectacular. St-Pierre not only defied the odds by taking the UFC middleweight title read news >>

ABC head expects UFC will sanction Conor McGregor for Bellator 187 cage jump – and says he's off UFC 219

ABC head Mike Mazzulli is evaluating legal options for how to handle the cage-hopping incident involving Conor McGregor at Bellator 187.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, UFC read news >>

They've got their wish: Ovince Saint Preux meets Ilir Latifi at UFC on FOX 27 in Charlotte

It’s a little later than he initially asked for, but Ovince Saint Preux will get his wish – which initially was a wish made by Ilir Latifi. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 121 event in Australia, which features Fabricio Werdum vs. Marcin Tybura.Filed under: News read news >>

Dana White Rips Colin Cowherd For 'Dirty' Tactics During TV Deal Negotiations | MMAWeekly.com

As the UFC begins negotiations on a new TV deal that will begin in 2019, UFC president Dana White is already seeing some dirty tactics being played. White reacted to a statement he heard from FOX hos read news >>

Juliana Lima meets Randa Markos at UFC on FOX 27 in Charlotte

The UFC’s return to North Carolina after a nearly eight-year absence continues to build with the addition of a women’s strawweight bout. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>