#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Bellator MMA #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Conor McGregor #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley

BOSTON – Alistair Overeem knew the questions were coming, and he stood there, answering them, as patiently as possible. It had been nearly six years since “The Demolition Man” had been asked about bouncing back from a loss, but he grinned as best he could and insisted things were better.

“When they say you learn more from losses than from wins, I found that to be a very accurate saying,” Overeem told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “When you win, that means you must be doing something good. When you lose, that means something or some things, multiple things, went wrong.

“I don’t like to lose. I’m a winner, so that put everything on alert and got me back to the drawing board to get everything sharp again. That’s what happened after the last fight.”

Earlier this year, at February’s UFC 156 event, Overeem faced Antonio Silva for a crack at the UFC’s heavyweight title. After cruising through the opening two rounds with precious little sense of urgency, Overeem was blasted by the heavy-handed “Bigfoot” in the third frame and suffered a devastating knockout loss.

It was Overeem’s first loss since 2007, but the 33-year-old insists he didn’t allow the disappointment to overwhelm him.

“I not a depressed kind of guy,” Overeem said. “I’m a positive guy. I’m always looking for opportunity. I’m always looking for answers. So that was me. I was just looking to improve. I had a close look at all the components: training camp, trainers and the whole thing.

“Basically, after a loss, if it’s a close-call loss, obviously maybe that’s just a strategy thing. But if it’s a big loss, I look at everything, and I changed everything up.”

Included among the changes was Overeem’s choice of training locale, and he returned to Holland for half of his camp in order to train under Mike’s Gym head Mike Passenier, trainer to legendary strikers such as Badr Hari, Gokhan Saki and Melvin Manhoef.

“I went back to my roots, back to striking, which is my thing,” Overeem said.

Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) returns to action on Saturday night, when he meets Travis Browne (14-1-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) in the co-feature of “UFC Fight Night 26: Shogun vs. Sonnen” at Boston’s TD Garden. Browne also lost to Silva but has since bounced back with an impressive win over Gabriel Gonzaga.

Despite a massive experience difference between the two, Overeem insists he’s not overlooking his opponent.

“I think it’s a very good matchup,” Overeem said. “He’s definitely an up-and-coming guy. He only has one loss. He’s aggressive. He’s going to be there and going for the win. But I’m coming from a loss, and I’m also in search of a win. I think it’s a good matchup. I’m looking forward to the fight.”

In many ways, the bout seems to have a make-or-break feel to it for Overeem. The former Strikeforce champ was heavily hyped coming into his UFC debut, but injury, a failed drug test and the loss to Silva have all helped soften the hype.

Overeem said his goal is still to win the UFC’s heavyweight belt, and his latest setback isn’t going to stop him.

“Listen, in my life, I was not born with a golden spoon,” Overeem said. “I’ve had a lot of setbacks in my life. But you keep on going. You keep opening yourself up to people who will help you. Solutions come. You just keep on going with your chin up and your shoulders back, and you keep on moving forward.

“It’s not hard. I’m very passionate, and I want to win, and you do whatever it takes to win.”

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 26, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Alistair Overeem Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Alistair Overeem Calls Out Francis Ngannou, 'The Predator' Responds | MMAWeekly.com

If Francis Ngannou wants a shot at the UFC heavyweight title, he might have to go through Alistair Overeem first. The former title contender took to Twitter on Thursday to send a message to the fears read news >>

Is ZUFFA Getting Into Boxing? | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White addressed questions about whether or not the UFC is considering getting into the boxing biz following Mayweather vs. McGregor's success. read news >>

UFC Rotterdam Fighter Q&A Replay with Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson and Volkan Oezdemir | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of Saturday's UFC Fight Night 115, Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson, and Volkan Oezdemir fielded questions from fans. read news >>

Alistair Overeem Would Say Yes If Asked to Fight Francis Ngannou | MMAWeekly.com

No. 1 ranked UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem is willing to risk his spot to fight lower-ranked Francis Ngannou. read news >>

Gokhan Saki's UFC debut was kind of crazy, both during and after

You knew Gokhan Saki’s UFC debut was going to be memorable, and it did not fail to deliver the goods.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Jessica Andrade's lopsided win vs. Claudia Gadelha at UFC Fight Night 117

See the top Twitter reacts to Jessica Andrade’s victory over Claudia Gadelha in the UFC Fight Night 117 co-main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Jessica Andrade beats up Claudia Gadelha in bloody battle

Claudia Gadelha only had lost to strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk before Friday. Then Jessica Andrade came into her life. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jessica Andrade Pummels Claudia Gadelha into a Bloody Mess (UFC Japan Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Jessica Andrade's pummeling of Claudia Gadelha at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

Jessica Andrade Bloodies and Batters Claudia Gadelha in Co-Main Event at UFC in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Jessica Andrade made a very strong statement with her win on Friday night as she bloodied and battered former title contender Claudia Gadelha en route to a lopsided decision in the co-main event at U read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: More like 'Ovince Saint Flue': Yushin Okami put out cold in first

Ovince Saint Preux put Yushin Okami to sleep in the UFC-Japan main event with a Von Flue choke – his third such rare finish in the UFC. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>