#Alexa Grasso #Tatiana Suarez #Demian Maia #Kamaru Usman #Fight Night London #Enrique Barzola #Brandon Davis #Claudio Puelles #Brandon Moreno #Alexandre Pantoja #UFC 224 #Andrea Lee #Veronica Macedo #Jared Cannonier #Dominick Reyes

UFC Fight Night 124 winner Irene Aldana grateful UFC career started with back-to-back losses

ST. LOUIS – In the win column for the first time in her UFC career, Irene Aldana is actually grateful her octagon tenure began with two consecutive losses.

Aldana (8-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC) finally got in the win column Sunday when she defeated Talita Bernardo (5-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC) by unanimous decision in their women’s bantamweight bout at UFC Fight Night 124, which took place at Scottrade Center in St. Louis and aired on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.

The Mexican fighter admits her career trajectory went upward much faster than she thought it would, and that was the reason for some of the hiccups along the way. She fought Tonya Evinger for the Invicta FC title in just her seventh professional fight, and in her 10th contest faced Leslie Smith in her UFC debut.

Aldana is appreciative of all her opportunities, and instead of dreading the negative results, she said she chooses to reflect on the positive side of her experiences.

“It was difficult,” Aldana told MMAjunkie. “Obviously everybody wants to win the fight, but I understand this is a sport. There are winners and there are losers. I accept my losses as I accept my wins. I fought two very (experienced) fighters and my career went very fast. I had three fights in Mexico and then I was brought in international for belts in Invicta, now UFC. It happened very quickly and I didn’t fought as experienced fighters as I did when I came here. That made me grow as a fighter.

“I’m glad it happened,” she continued. “It made me a better fighter. Honestly, I think my second fight I won against Kaitlyn Chookagian, but it was a very close fight, and I’m glad I can stay here. I’m not going anywhere.”

Although the fight against Bernardo was largely one-sided, with Aldana winning 30-27 on all scorecards, she faced a resilient opponent at UFC Fight Night 124. Aldana appeared to come close to putting Bernardo away more than once during the 15-minute affair, but she couldn’t get the job done.

Instead of criticizing her own performance and inability to get a finish, though, Aldana praised her opponent’s durability.

“I would have loved to get a knockout or submission, but things went that way,” Aldana said. “She was tougher than I thought. She came out very prepared; she was the strongest. I’m glad I won, and I did my best. This fight prepared me for what’s next. Maybe next time I will get in the cage more confident and more prepared.”

Aldana said the difference in her performance compared to her previous UFC fights was a boost in offensive volume. She said she didn’t let everything hang out in the past, but this time, she did.

“I worked on being more aggressive,” Aldana said. “I came mentally stronger. The first fight in my debut I was really, really nervous. I wasn’t thinking very good. I tried to make this fight more intelligent. I took my time, and I’m happy.”

As far as the future goes, Aldana already has a new opponent in mind. She said she’s injury-free from her fight with Bernardo and would like to match up with Bethe Correia (10-3-1 MMA, 3-3-1 UFC), who she was originally scheduled to fight at the event.

“I was supposed to fight Bethe Correia on this card,” Aldana said. “She was injured and couldn’t take the fight, so Talita took her place. Maybe she’s next; I don’t know. She’s a great opponent, a great fighter. I would like to fight her. If she’s not, maybe Marion Reneau. I was supposed to fight Marion Reneau in Invicta. Maybe one of those. I would love to keep climbing to the top 10.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 124, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Leslie Smith's organizing efforts might've cost her UFC career, but will the price be worth it?

Leslie Smith is planning legal action against the UFC in the wake of her unusual release and hopes she didn’t sacrifice herself for nothing. read news >>

Video: Watch UFC Fight Night 128's post-event press conference on MMAjunkie

Check out a live stream of the UFC on FOX 26 post-event press conference. read news >>

How to watch UFC Fight Night 128 today: Fight card, start time, online results, where to stream Barboza vs. Lee

The UFC returns to Atlantic City for the first time since 2014 with tonight’s UFC Fight Night 128 event. Here’s how to watch. read news >>

FOX Sports analyst Yves Edwards breaks down Kevin Lee vs. Edson Barboza at UFC Atlantic City

The UFC Fight Night 128 headliner between Edson Barboza and Kevin Lee presents an intriguing clash of styles. read news >>

Here's the official poster for the UFC's first event in Utica, N.Y.

Headliners Jimmie Rivera and Marlon Moraes will have “no excuses” on June 1. read news >>

UFC Chile main, co-main events fall apart with Santiago Ponzinibbio, Volkan Oezdemir out

The UFC plans to bring two notable fights atop its debut card Chile have gone awry with UFC Fight Night 129 losing its top two bouts. read news >>

Former UFC champ Matt Serra joins 2018 UFC Hall of Fame class

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra is getting a spot in the UFC Hall of Fame. read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 128 Post-Fight Press Conference | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night 128: Barboza vs. Lee post-fight press conference shortly after the conclusion of the night's main event in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Kevin Lee's victory over Edson Barboza at UFC Fight Night 128

See the top Twitter reactions to Kevin Lee’s win over Edson Barboza in the UFC Fight Night 128 main event. read news >>

Despite missing weight, Kevin Lee not interested in moving to 'muddy' welterweight division

Unless the UFC decides to implement a 165-pound division, don’t expect Kevin Lee to change weight classes. read news >>

David Branch hopes KO win proves he's 'capable of more' than boring fights, close decisions

UFC middleweight David Branch’s new career approach is to leave the past in the past and focus only on the future. read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir vs. Shogun Rua Moved to UFC Hamburg Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

As the UFC Santiago fight card disintegrates, a light heavyweight match-up between Volkan Oezdemir and Shogun Rua has been re-booked as the UFC Hamburg headlining bout. read news >>

Hey, look, Nick Newell at the UFC Performance Institute. Good sign?

What does this mean for Nick Newell potentially getting his long-awaited shot at the UFC? read news >>

Joe Rogan Believes Conor McGregor is Too Big for the UFC to Cut Him Loose | MMAWeekly.com

Many fighters have been released from a UFC contract for far less egregious actions than Conor McGregor's rampage, but Joe Rogan thinks the Irishman is too big of a star for the UFC to cut him loose. read news >>

Leslie Smith Planning Legal Action After UFC Essentially Bought Out Her Contract | MMAWeekly.com

In the blink of an eye, Leslie Smith went from ranked UFC fighter to unemployed. She feels it was done unjustly, so she is taking legal action against the UFC. read news >>

Former NFL Player Greg Hardy to Make Pro MMA Debut on UFC's 'Contender Series'

After playing six seasons in the NFL, Greg Hardy is ready to go pro in another sport. According to MMA Fighting's Dave Doyle , the 29-year-old former defensive end will make ... read news >>