#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Darren Till #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #Felice Herrig #Nunes vs. Rousey #UFC 207 - Nunes vs. Rousey

UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson appears to be a very happy man after signing a new fight deal with the promotion on Friday.

Henderson, who most recently capped off 2012 with a dominant victory over Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, announced the new contract via Twitter and Instagram.

“I’m very excited to let you guys know that Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta aren’t tired of me yet. Proud to announce that I just signed my new contract, which will keep me around for at least 8 more fights,” said Henderson.

2012 was very good to Henderson who captured the UFC lightweight title early in the year before he defended it twice upping his overall record with the promotion to 6-0 since joining the UFC in 2011.

Henderson’s next test inside the Octagon will come later this year when he will most likely meet Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez as he transitions to the UFC from the now defunct promotion.

“This deal made me think long term and what it all means and what I’m here for,” said Henderson. “Am I really doing all this just to buy stuff and pay my bills? Or do I have this platform/stage for something more? I hope I can use these few years to really inspire, introduce, encourage and do some of His will. I hope I can do all of this with my actions and not just my words.”

At 29-years of age it would appear Henderson is started to reach his peak years as a fighter, and with a long term goal of breaking UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva‘s title defense streak (currently at 10 title defenses), he’s ready to put the work in to achieve his dreams.

The new 8-fight deal will keep Henderson in the UFC for quite some time although there has been no formal announcement about when he will return to the cage later this year.

Comments

Watch the First-Round Finish That Earned Geoff Neal A UFC Contract | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Geoff Neal and his powerful left hand in the fight that earned him a UFC contract. read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Joseph Duffy vs. James Vick Added to UFC 217 in New York | MMAWeekly.com

After inking a new multi-fight contract to stay with the UFC, Joseph Duffy has been booked for his next fight as he faces off with James Vick on Nov. 4 in New York as part of the UFC 217 card at Madi read news >>

Watch the 15-Second KO That Earned Karl Roberson at UFC Contract | MMAWeekly.com

See the fight and spectacular finish that earned Karl Roberson a UFC contract on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series! read news >>

Who Do You Think Won? (Benson Henderson vs. Patricky Pitbull Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and Patricky "Pitbull" Freire fought to a split decision in the Bellator 183 main event. Watch the full fight. read news >>

Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis rebooked for UFC 218 in Detroit

A crucial flyweight fight appears to be on deck for the UFC’s return to the “Motor City.” Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cub Swanson says he's headlining UFC Fight Night 123 against Brian Ortega

UFC Fight Night 123 in California appears to have its headliner: Cub Swanson vs. Brian Ortega.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jenel Lausa signs to fight Eric Shelton at UFC Fight Night 121 in Australia

A flyweight bout between Jenel Lausa and Eric Shelton is the latest addition to November’s UFC Fight Night 121 lineup in Australia.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Max Holloway Inks New Multi-Fight Deal with the UFC Ahead of First Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway wanted a new contract and now he's got it read news >>

Brandon Davis Earns UFC Contract for Epic Fight with Austin Arnet (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Brandon Davis Secured a UFC contract with a win over Austin Arnett in what many consider to be the best fight on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series. read news >>