#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #Nik Lentz #Will Brooks #Georges St-Pierre

UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson appears to be a very happy man after signing a new fight deal with the promotion on Friday.

Henderson, who most recently capped off 2012 with a dominant victory over Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, announced the new contract via Twitter and Instagram.

“I’m very excited to let you guys know that Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta aren’t tired of me yet. Proud to announce that I just signed my new contract, which will keep me around for at least 8 more fights,” said Henderson.

2012 was very good to Henderson who captured the UFC lightweight title early in the year before he defended it twice upping his overall record with the promotion to 6-0 since joining the UFC in 2011.

Henderson’s next test inside the Octagon will come later this year when he will most likely meet Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez as he transitions to the UFC from the now defunct promotion.

“This deal made me think long term and what it all means and what I’m here for,” said Henderson. “Am I really doing all this just to buy stuff and pay my bills? Or do I have this platform/stage for something more? I hope I can use these few years to really inspire, introduce, encourage and do some of His will. I hope I can do all of this with my actions and not just my words.”

At 29-years of age it would appear Henderson is started to reach his peak years as a fighter, and with a long term goal of breaking UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva‘s title defense streak (currently at 10 title defenses), he’s ready to put the work in to achieve his dreams.

The new 8-fight deal will keep Henderson in the UFC for quite some time although there has been no formal announcement about when he will return to the cage later this year.

Comments

Bellator signs Goiti Yamauchi to new long-term contract

Goiti Yamauchi is sticking with Bellator for the foreseeable future after signing a new long-term deal with the promotion.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Former WWE Champion Jack Swagger Signs Bellator Contract

Former WWE star Jack Swagger will try to reinvent himself with a new career in MMA after signing a contract with Bellator, according to Marc Raimondi of MMA Fighting. The 35-year-old, whose real name read news >>

Irene Aldana says she's fighting Talita Oliveira at UFC-St. Louis in January

It appears as if a women’s bantamweight bout is ticketed for the UFC’s January debut in St. Louis. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Cris Cyborg Reveals New Long Term Contract Signed with the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is staying put in the UFC. Just days after Cyborg's next fight was announced against Holly Holm at UFC 219 on Dec. 30, the ferocious women's featherweight champion revealed that read news >>

Damien Brown admits stress of fighting out contract proved tough in last outing

When Damien Brown started his training camp for UFC Fight Night 121, it was with a pretty massive leap of faith. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator signs Jake Hager – formerly 'Jack Swagger' in the WWE – to heavyweight contract

Bellator is going to do business with a former WWE standout next year in the heavyweight division. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir on UFC title shot vs. Daniel Cormier: 'Just waiting on a contract to sign'

UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir just needs to sign the paper to make his fight with champ Daniel Cormier official.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'Rampage' Jackson signs multi-fight Bellator contract

One of MMA’s all-time greats will continue fighting for Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Dana White: Robert Whittaker is next for new UFC champ Georges St-Pierre

It appears a title-unification bout with interim champion Robert Whittaker is next up for recently crowned titleholder Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>