Daniel-Cormier-vs-Jon-JonesDaniel Cormier has been lobbying for a title fight against light heavyweight champion Jon Jones since before he made his way from Strikeforce to the UFC.  The undefeated former heavyweight contender addressed Jones directly on the most recent edition of The Great MMA Debate Podcast and respectfully asked for the opportunity to fight for the belt.

“Hey Jon, this is Daniel Cormier.  Bro, brother, I’m asking nicely.  I’m not being aggressive.  I’m not trying to be confrontational Jon.  I’m just asking.  Would you be willing to give me a chance to fight?  Please brother.  Make a decision,” said Cormier.

“I heard that he has the ability to say who he wants to fight,” he added.

Jones responded while at the Arnold’s in Columbus, Ohio, over the weekend and denied Cormier’s request.

“My response to DC is, hey DC, you know what, I really respect what you’ve done with losing that weight.  I think that’s extremely inspirational to a lot of people.  It shows the type of heart that you have that you’re willing to sacrifice those meals and get yourself to 205.  So first and foremost, since you’re speaking more respectfully, I’ll say congratulations on your victory and on your weight loss,” said Jones.

“As far as giving you a title shot, I have no interest in fighting you right now only because of the fact that you haven’t really fought anyone that I consider a top level fighter.  I’m kind of getting sick of seeing UFC light heavyweights fight against kind of like cans until they get a title shot.  I really want to see a top contender fight a top contender, and I think you need to fight someone a little bit more well known than Patrick Cummins.  Fight against Rashad (Evans).  Fight against somebody legit man, and then I would think it would be a little bit more appropriate to give you that title shot,” added the light heavyweight champ.

Cormier had initially been slated to fight Evans at UFC 170, but an injury forced the former UFC light heavyweight champion out of the fight. Cormier instead wound up fighting Cummins, stopping him via TKO at the 1:19 mark of the first round.

Jones next puts his title on the line against Glover Teixeira in the UFC 172 main event on April 26 at the Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Md.

Jon Jones Likely to Face Daniel Cormier-Anthony Johnson Winner, Says Dana White

Jon Jones may have a nice gift waiting for him when he comes back from his yearlong suspension: a UFC light heavyweight championship fight. In an interview on the UFC Unfiltered podcast (h/t FoxSport read news >>

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson rematch headlines UFC 210 in Buffalo

A light heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 210.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Returns in UFC 210 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

This is one time where waiting pays off, as light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier returns at UFC 210 to put his belt on the line. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 Announced for UFC 210: Details, Reaction

The UFC announced Wednesday that Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson will meet in a rematch of their May 2015 clash at UFC 210 in Buffalo, New York, on April 8. Cormier (18-1) secured a victory via su read news >>

UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk denies rumors of Michelle Waterson fight, says 'Karate Hottie' not next

DENVER – Everything about the rumor that Joanna Jedrzejczyk would defend her strawweight title against Michelle Waterson is apparently false. That includes both the date and the opponent.Filed under: read news >>

Jon Anik takes helm for UFC 208 pay-per-view broadcast with Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier

With longtime UFC play-by-play voice Mike Goldberg gone from the broadcast table after UFC 207 in December, the promotion had some shoes to fill. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208's Jarred Brooks (sorta) denies using slur toward UFC 208 opponent Ian McCall

Veteran flyweight Ian McCall may be fighting UFC newcomer Jarred Brooks on tonight’s UFC 208 preliminary card, but the heat between the two is main card-worthy.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Holm vs. De Randamie: Odds, Tickets, Predictions After Weigh-in

UFC 208 might not be the biggest PPV card of the year, but it sure has a lot of competitive fights on it, including its main event. Fighting in the inaugural featherweight championship fight, Holly H read news >>

Video: Before UFC 208 co-main event, watch Derek Brunson's first-round TKO of Uriah Hall

Prior to his upcoming UFC 208 co-main event fight against the legend, Anderson Silva, watch Derek Brunson’s most recent win, which came in impressive fashion.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Miesha Tate on Women’s 145-Pound Division: ‘Build It and They Will Come’ | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight champ Miesha Tate believes the creation of the women's featherweight division will be a magnet for 145-pound talent. read news >>