#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Paul Daley #Ovince St. Preux #Lorenz Larkin #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Gokhan Saki #Javy Ayala

UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar

UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar

UFC 130 was hit with a major blow this week when the main event lightweight title bout between champion Frankie Edgar and challenger Gray Maynard was called off due to injuries to both fighters.

Several reports pointed to Edgar’s ribs as the primary factor in his withdrawal, but he spoke with UFC.com on Tuesday, clearing up the situation.

“All of the reports are talking about my ribs, it’s actually my back,” said Edgar. “My back’s been bothering me for quite some time. A few weeks ago I had to take a week off so that my back could calm down and I was trying to fight through it. I got through it and it kept blowing out on me here and there, but then I ended up blowing out a rib last week. My rib kept popping in and out and then last week my back went out on me really bad, so I went to see a doctor and he said I’ve got bulging discs and now I’m going to go see a specialist to see what he can do about it.”

Edgar said that he wanted to try and work through the pain and fight on May 28, but his back injury was so severe that he just couldn’t. He’s not even at 30 percent of his usual health.

“I saw a UFC doctor yesterday and he said my L2 and L5 discs are bulged, and he recommended that I don’t fight right now,” Edgar said. “I can’t even put my socks on or hold my kids, it’s pretty bad right now.”

Edgar wasn’t sure when he would be able to return. He is hoping to avoid surgery, and just be able to us rehab to get his back healthy.

“I’m hoping I can rehab it and get better and get back to training in a month, but I can’t give you any solid answer right now as to how long I’ll be out.”

Galleries

Frankie Edgar Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Tyron Woodley May Undergo Surgery for Shoulder Injury; Considering Options

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has a partial tear of his labrum, and surgery is an option, SiriusXM Radio's R.J. Clifford reported Tuesday. According to Clifford, Woodley will explore all of read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan loses bout due to injury

An injury has forced a change to next week’s UFC Fight Night 117 event in Japan.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Ed Herman shares absolutely gruesome photo of his 'ripped' finger (WARNING: GRAPHIC)

Ed Herman’s choice of hashtags to describe this injury? #pain #blood #bone #ouch. Consider yourself warned.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Sergio Pettis wastes no time, kindly asks UFC 215 winner Henry Cejudo to meet him in Detroit

After an injury forced Henry Cejudo out of a scheduled UFC 211 encounter, flyweight contender Sergio Pettis is hoping the two solve their unfinished business in December.Filed under: Blue Corner, New read news >>

UFC middleweight Ed Herman now has some gauze for that gross finger

UFC middleweight Ed Herman will get plastic surgery to repair a finger he lost in a freak construction accident. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Amanda Nunes Headed for Surgery, Will Not Return Until 2018 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes will sit out the rest of the year following her split decision win over Valentina Shevchenko on Saturday. While Nunes has earned the right to celebrate read news >>

Today, in gross-stuff news: UFC lightweight Dan Hooker's post-surgery knee

Dan Hooker’s right knee brought us excitement in June, when it delivered a knockout of Ross Pearson en route to a $50,000 bonus. His left one, however, isn’t doing too well at the moment.Filed under: read news >>

'Shogun' Rua reveals struggle to try to keep UFC-Japan spot after knee injury early in camp

Ex-UFC champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua apologized to the fans and opponent Ovince Saint Preux after pulling out of UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Reports: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg rebooked for UFC 216 in Las Vegas

Demetrious Johnson will still have his chance to break the consecutive UFC title defense record against Ray Borg.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ed Herman Reveals Gruesome and Graphic Finger Injury (PHOTO) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC competitor Ed Herman had a tough day at the office. The veteran light heavyweight and middleweight fighter showed off a finger injury on Tuesday that is quite graphic and definitely not for the f read news >>