UFC bantamweight champion Dominick CruzIt has been nearly two years since UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz last fought, and everyone wants to know when he will be back in action.

Unfortunately, Cruz has the same question as everyone else, as he has yet to be cleared by doctors to even begin full-on training.

Cruz, following a coaching stint opposite Urijah Faber on The Ultimate Fighter Live, was supposed to have defended his belt against his longtime rival last summer, but had to pull out of the fight due to a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered during training.

He had surgery in May of 2012, repairing the knee with the ligament from a cadaver, which theoretically should have sped up his rehabilitation time.

Cruz’s body, however, rejected the foreign tissue, so he had to go back under the knife in late 2012 for a second ACL surgery. He’s been steadily working his way back, but doctor’s have kept him on the slow track to be sure he doesn’t suffer anymore setbacks.

If all goes as planned, Cruz could be back in the cage in early 2014.

“I’m looking to be back early next year,” the champ said in an interview with InsideMMA. “I can’t give an exact date because, the truth is, I haven’t even been cleared by a doctor.

“First three, four, five months (of 2014). I hate to say that because it’s so much time, but I have to be real with myself. I’ve already had double-ACL surgery. This isn’t a game.”

Renan Barão won the interim title during Cruz’s absence. And having been sidelined for so long, nearly everyone’s patience has been tested, Cruz’s as much as anyone’s. There has been an abundance of chatter about stripping Cruz of the belt.

That hasn’t happened, and it’s not going to happen, as long as Cruz continues on his current path to recovery.

“Dana (White) and Lorenzo (Fertitta) sit and tell me, ‘No, we’re not taking anything from you.’ They’ve had my back in this situation,” said Cruz.

“They’ve been very, very supportive, and I’m very appreciative to the UFC for the rest of my life for the way they’ve taken care of me. They could have handled this several different ways. They’ve been very supportive.”

When Cruz returns, he wants to fight the interim champion and immediately unify the belts. It’s a fight that makes sense, and a fight that he, as champion, has every right to expect.

Barão has his next bout already lined up against Eddie Wineland at UFC 165 on Sept. 21 in Toronto, but it’s clear that Cruz is pulling for him. He wants Barão to be the man he first faces when he gets back in the Octagon.

“Renan Barão has beaten a lot of the same guys (as I have). This is a fight that I can come back and fight Renan,” Cruz declared. “That’s who I want right off the bat. If nothing else, I deserve to come back and get that title shot. It’s something that I think I’ve earned the right to.

“The truth is, I deserve that fight, and I’m gonna get it,” he continued. “I’m fighting time, and when I get back, I’ll be fighting Barão.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Dominick Cruz dismisses Raphael Assuncao's callout, says next fight will be for UFC belt

Dominick Cruz didn’t get an immediate rematch after he lost the UFC bantamweight title to Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 in December. However, if the former champ is to be believed, his next fight will st read news >>

UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena Main Card Weigh-in Videos | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the UFC on FOX 23 main card fighters at the early morning weigh-in as they step on the scale in Denver. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 early weigh-in results and live video stream (11 a.m. ET)

DENVER – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 206 fighter weigh-ins, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 11 a.m. (8 a read news >>

UFC 208 early weigh-in results and live video stream (9 a.m. ET)

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 9 a.m. ET (6 a.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208 results: Ryan LaFlare dominates early, cruises to decision over Roan Carneiro

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Ryan LaFlare used constant pressure and a stiff left hand to outwork and outpoint Roan Carneiro in a fight that got suddenly competitive in the final minute.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 early weigh-in results and live video stream (8 a.m. ET)

HALIFAX – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Saturday’s early and official UFC Fight Night 105 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 8 a.m. ET (5 a.m. PT, 9 a.m. AST local time).Filed under read news >>

UFC 208 early weigh-in results: Inaugural title fight set with Holm, de Randamie under championship weight

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie was on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, where the promotion’s inaugural women’s featherweight title fight was made offici read news >>

Thiago Santos: UFC Fight Night 105 stoppage wasn't early, came 'perfectly at the right time'

HALIFAX – Thiago Santos said he doesn’t understand those labeling his UFC Fight Night 105 win over Jack Marshman as an early stoppage.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC lightweight Michael Chiesa targeting April return against ex-champ Eddie Alvarez

HALIFAX – After more than 10 months on the sidelines due to injury Michael Chiesa is ready to insert himself back in the lightweight mix.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>