Rich Clementi has retired from active competition in mixed martial arts.

The lightweight Monday announced the news on his Facebook page, and Sherdog.com today verified his retirement with his manager, Monte Cox.

"I can honestly say that Rich was one of the easiest fighters to book that I've ever managed. He has this great drive to compete and always puts on exciting fights. He took tough fights just because nobody else wanted them. Promoters all over the world were excited to get him on their cards, which made my job a lot easier,” Cox told Sherdog.com on Tuesday. "I managed Rich for 12 years, booking him 54 fights. He was a true professional; he got his paperwork and medicals done on time, made weight and fought as hard as he could. He started out as one of my fighters and became one of my good friends. I don't think we ever even had an argument."

Clementi, 36, began his pro career in 1999 and made his first UFC appearance in 2003. After parting ways with the organization after just one bout, the 68-fight veteran rejoined the Las Vegas-based promotion three years later and made his last appearance with the company in 2009 after racking up a 5-5 Octagon record.

“I guess this day had to come sometime. [I] just wish it could have been on my terms, but then again, we all know that wouldn't have happened because I would have always wanted just one more time under those lights,” Clementi wrote on his Facebook page. “I am so grateful for the things this sport has taught me -- the friends, experiences and most of all learning who I am. I am so lucky I have a platform to share these experiences and help others try to reach their dreams.”

Following his time in the UFC, the New Jersey native competed mostly on the local circuit, save for a May 2011 appearance in Japan against Shinya Aoki under the Dream banner. Most recently, Clementi entered Bellator’s Season 7 lightweight tournament, outlasting previously unbeaten Russian prospect Alexander Sarnavskiy in the quarterfinals before running into Polish prospect Marcin Held in the semis this past Friday. Held snatched a toe hold in the second frame of that Bellator 81 headliner and forced the vet to tap out midway through the round.

Clementi told Sherdog.com that his left ankle had been injured for about two years before Held cranked on it in both the first and second rounds, with the final submission attempt also damaging his knee. Clementi recently underwent an MRI and says he will need to undergo surgery to repair the damage.

“My tendons are ripped on the outside of my foot, and because they have been stretched for so long, my socket is pitted and will have to be filled and repaired, as well,” Clementi told Sherdog. “I didn’t know, but I also found out I had ACL failure on the knee I had surgery on a few years back. [I will have a] 12- to 14-month recovery.”

Clementi, who trains out of Team Voodoo in Slidell, La., leaves the sport with a record of 45-22-1, having finished 27 of his conquered foes via submission. “No Love” holds notable victories over Sam Stout, Melvin Guillard and Anthony Johnson and competed against the likes of Gray Maynard, Din Thomas, Caol Uno and Yves Edwards during his 10-fight UFC career.

“I am very excited to see what the future has in store for me,” Clementi continued. “I will update my condition when my MRI comes back. [My doctor] said my body has been around the block a few times. I can only smile.”

Brock Lesnar Retires from UFC, Exits Drug-Testing Pool | MMAWeekly.com

Brock Lesnar has retired from the UFC, effectively removing himself from the USADA drug testing pool. read news >>

Mike Goldberg Might Be Moving to Bellator | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Al Powers/Zuffa LLC This past weekend at UFC 208 there was an air of professionalism and reserve to the proceedings longtime fans of MMA may have found disconcerting. After all, this was the read news >>

Bellator 172 video highlights: Watch Patricky 'Pitbull' viciously ruin Josh Thomson's homecoming

• 22 hours ago

Fighting in front of his hometown fans, veteran lightweight Josh Thomson was given the opportunity to compete in the main event of Saturday’s Bellator 172, but the result wasn’t as he might have hope read news >>

Thiago Alves Moves Back to Welterweight at UFC 210 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC veteran Thiago Alves is moving back to the welterweight division at UFC 210 after a failed attempt to make lightweight in his last outing. read news >>

200-fight veteran Ahmet Kayretli hopes to punch his ticket to UFC, and eventually a title, with weekend win

Bantamweight Ahmet Kayretli boasts more than 200 fights in his combat sports career and has trained alongside the likes of former UFC champ Dominick Cruz and current top flyweight contender Wilson Re read news >>

Former Bellator champ Will Brooks meets Charles Oliveira at UFC 210 in Buffalo

The UFC’s return to upstate New York in April has a new lightweight bout set for the lineup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fedor Intends to End His Career with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Former Pride champion Fedor Emelianenko doesn't appear likely to ever set foot in the Octagon. He wants to finish his career in the Bellator cage. read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

Bellator 170 Quick Results: Tito Ortiz Retires With a Win | FIGHTLAND

Image via facebook/BellatorMMA On one of the increasingly rare weekends without a UFC card, Bellator MMA touched down in Los Angeles, California with Bellator 170, one of its most stacked events to d read news >>

Brock Lesnar Informs UFC of Retirement from MMA, Removed from Drug Testing Pool

Brock Lesnar's mixed martial arts career appears to be over. A UFC spokesperson on Tuesday told MMA Fighting's Marc Raimondi the former UFC heavyweight champion informed the company of his retirement read news >>