#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Conor McGregor #Alexander Gustafsson #Daniel Cormier #Justin Gaethje #Jon Jones #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC New York #Nate Diaz #UFC 217 #Chael Sonnen #Kevin Lee #Tony Ferguson

UFC 215's Ketlen Vieira confident but level-headed ahead of 'golden opportunity' vs. Sara McMann

Ketlen Vieira has only had two UFC bouts to date, but they looked impressive enough to earn her one high-profile matchup.

As she prepares to meet former title challenger Sara McMann (11-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) at this Saturday’s UFC 215, the 26-year-old Vieira has every reason to be happy with her current status. She’s undefeated. She’s come a long way but still sees progress ahead. She’s had the proper time and conditions to prepare for the dangerous McMann.

“(McMann) is very experienced,” Vieira told MMAjunkie in her native Portuguese. “But I’m very confident. I’ve been training hard, and I’m very satisfied with my results thus far. I’ve been able to evolve with each fight, and I plan on keeping that going.”

There’s no doubt that Vieira carries some self-assurance into the women’s bantamweight bout at Rogers Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. In fact, she’s had that attitude since even before the back-to-back octagon wins over Ashlee Evans-Smith and Kelly Faszholz.

But, at the same time, Vieira won’t let her confidence turn into bravado – at least not now, faced with her biggest challenge to date.

In addition to carrying an Olympic silver medal, McMann remains one of the biggest names on the UFC’s women’s 135-pound roster. In fact, her only career losses have come to people who’ve held UFC belts: Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate and current champ Amanda Nunes.

Considering that she and her Nova Uniao team reviewed McMann’s fights multiple times, Vieira is well aware of all of that. She knows that McMann can strike, grapple and, of course, wrestle. Which is precisely why her training has been so focused and relentless.

“It’s going to be a very tough fight, but I see it as a golden opportunity for myself,” Vieira said. “I have to take this fight with Sara and give it my all, give it my best. I have all the will to win. I don’t know if I’m going to come out victorious – this, only God can tell. But everything I can do inside the octagon to come out victorious, I will.”

Currently ranked No. 9 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA women’s bantamweight rankings, McMann has been making her case for another stab at bantamweight gold since a first-round submission win over Gina Mazany this past February pushed her current winning streak to three fights.

If she beats No. 15 Vieira, that may very well be in the horizon for her. As for the Brazilian up-and-comer’s future should she be the one walking away victorious? Well, let’s just say her short UFC run has taught her to keep her requests modest.

“After – and if – I get past this fight, I’ll think about the next step,” Vieira said. “I have two UFC fights and, for these two fights, I asked for opponents. The UFC didn’t give me any of them. They always put people against whom they want.

“So I won’t call anyone out because it’s not effective. Whomever they choose, I just hope they give me enough time so I can get ready and be prepared.”

For more on UFC 215, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Volkan Oezdemir Faces Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua at UFC Fight Night in Chile | MMAWeekly.com

A light heavyweight showdown is headed to Chile as former title contender Volkan Oezdemir is scheduled to meet former champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua on May 19. UFC officials announced the matchup on read news >>

Dana White: Tony Ferguson Requires Surgery, Stripped of Interim Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson not only lost his opportunity to fight at UFC 223 when he injured his knee, UFC president Dana White said that he would also need surgery and lose his interim title. read news >>

Dustin Poirier cool without UFC 223 opportunity, wants to earn title old fashioned way

Of course, Dustin Poirier inquired with his promoter whether he was needed to headline UFC 223, but it’s OK that he isn’t. read news >>

UFC 223's Ashlee Evans-Smith wants to forget recent loss: 'It was crappy altogether'

UFC 223 provides a new opportunity for Ashlee Evans-Smith, who said her most recent fight was pretty “crappy altogether.” read news >>

Humberto Bandenay vs. Gabriel Benitez added to UFC Fight Night 129

A featherweight matchup between Humberto Bandenay and Gabriel Benitez is headed to UFC Fight Night 129. read news >>

Report: UFC Looking to Give UK Boxer Anthony Joshua $500M Contract

UFC is reportedly eyeing a lucrative partnership with heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua. According to the Telegraph's Gareth A. Davies, Dana White's promotion wants to sign Joshua to a "multifight read news >>

'Shogun' Rua vs. Volkan Oezdemir set for UFC Fight Night 129 in Chile

A light heavyweight bout between former UFC champ Mauricio Rua and Volkan Oezdemir is set for May’s UFC Fight Night 129 lineup. read news >>

UFC Fighter Augusto Mendes Proclaims His Innocence of Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight competitor Augusto Mendes was pulled from his upcoming bout at UFC Fight Night in Atlantic City on Wednesday after an out-of-competition drug test was flagged by USADA, but he insists he read news >>

UFC 223: Ferguson vs. Khabib Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Headlined by a two title fights, UFC 223: Ferguson vs. Khabib live results kick off at 6:15 p.m. ET / 3:15 p.m. PT on Saturday, April 7, Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Details His Plan for a UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has been on the sidelines since July of 2017, but he recently laid out a map for his return to the Octagon. read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Why don't fighters argue for 'cancellation clauses' in UFC contracts?

Contractual clarity on canceled bouts, Bellator pushing a fighter with neo-Nazi ties, the perfect fighter ... all that and more in TMB. read news >>

Joe Duffy didn't take the bait from Conor McGregor, even when he could have

UFC lightweight Joe Duffy remembers a backstage run-in with Conor McGregor and what he said to defuse an argument. read news >>

Report: Colby Covington vs. Rafael dos Anjos set for interim title at UFC 224

According to a new report, the UFC is working on an interim title bout between Rafael dos Anjos and Colby Covington for UFC 224. read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes, a rare favorite, not worried about training link with Pennington

Amanda Nunes knows there will be questions about how much she knows about Raquel Pennington – and how much Pennington might know about her. read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Colby Covington for Interim Title Expected at UFC 224 in Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

A blockbuster co-main event is nearing completion for UFC 224 as Rafael dos Anjos has agreed to meet Colby Covington with an interim welterweight title up for grabs on May 12 in Brazil. Sources close read news >>

Video: Watch Episode 1 of Khabib Nurmagomedov's UFC 223 vlog series

Lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov has released the first edition of his UFC 223 video blog. read news >>

Search for: