brendan-schaub-165
VANCOUVER – Two straight losses forced UFC heavyweight Brendan Schaub to make a major adjustment in his life. That adjustment? Pack his bags and move from Colorado to California to start anew.

“I’m a super passionate guy about my career, and I always wake up in the morning with energy and excited about things,” Schaub told MMAjunkie. “That kind of just stopped for me when I was in Denver. I was coming off two losses, and I just knew I needed to make a change.”

The decision was a no-brainer for Schaub. Despite having few contacts in California, he knew the endless training options would be beneficial in taking his career to the next level. To make that happen, he sold all of his belongings and relocated part way across the country.

“I would always go out to California, and I really didn’t know anyone out there,” Schaub said. “I really only knew Mark Munoz, but I knew I had to do something. I just sold everything in Denver and moved out there, and it was the best decision I’ve ever made in my life.”

Schaub doesn’t want to discredit his previous trainers in Denver and the skills they helped him learn. However, he believes his new training regimen in Los Angeles has been a game-changer. The results show, and Schaub is a perfect 2-0 in the octagon since the move.

“I had good things in Colorado, but I just needed to switch things up,” Schaub said. “I just needed to grow as a fighter and as a person. Out in Los Angeles, I’ve assembled a team to become a champion. I have the best in all aspects of the game out there. I’m just happier out there. I’m at the beach every day and stuff like that, so things are really good.”

“The Hybrid” hopes to keep his momentum rolling when he takes on Andrei Arlovski on Saturday at UFC 174 at Vancouver’s Rogers Arena. The bout takes place on the main card (pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET) following the FOX Sports 1-televised preliminary card (8 p.m. ET).

Arlovski (21-10 MMA, 10-4 UFC), a former UFC heavyweight champion, is making his return to the organization after a six-year stint on the regional circuit. He’ll undoubtedly be eager to reintroduce himself to the UFC audience at Schaub’s (10-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) expense.

Even though Arlovski has had an up-and-down road in recent years, he’s likely to be rejuvenated by his return to the world’s premier MMA organization. Despite the fact he has game-planned for Arlovski’s skills accordingly, Schaub readily admits it’s hard to make predictions for fight night.

“I’m not sure what to expect,” Schaub said. “I think that’s why I’m so nervous for this fight. I’m the first to admit that. I’m scared before I fight. Before this one, I’m nervous because I don’t know what to expect. Is it going to be the guy who was beating up Fedor Emelianenko before he made a mistake, or is it going to be the guy who had four straight losses at one point? It’s just the fear of the unknown. He trains at one of the best camps in the world at (Greg) Jackson’s (gym), so I just don’t know what to expect. That’s as honest as I can be.”

A victory over Arlovski would mark Schaub’s second career win over a former UFC titleholder. With that, he hopes to make progress toward a championship contest of his own.

“I would retire right now if (UFC President) Dana White said, ‘Yo, Schaub. You’re never getting a title shot,’” Schaub said. “Or if I was one of those journeymen that won one, lost two, won one, lost two. That just wouldn’t be for me. This sport is way to hard and takes too much time and energy. I expect big things out of myself.

For more on UFC 174, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Full media scrum: Julianna Pena hopes champ Amanda Nunes won't go running after UFC on FOX 23

DENVER – “The Ultimate Fighter 18 winner Julianna Pena believes a win over Valentina Shevechenko should earn her a shot at the UFC women’s bantamweight title. She just hopes Amanda Nunes is up to the read news >>

Gilbert Melendez wants 'one last run' at UFC title – and at featherweight

With three consecutive losses on his record, Gilbert Melendez is looking to make a significant change as he heads down the final stretch of a nearly 15-year career.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 Athlete Outfitting pay: Top earners all suffer losses

DENVER – Fighters from Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $155,000.Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

UFC Contender's Title Hopes in Jeopardy Due to Donald Trump's Travel Ban

Up until Friday, everything was going great for Gegard Mousasi's career. Long the toast of the Japanese MMA circuit, Mousasi joined the UFC in 2013. After two up-and-down years with the company, he h read news >>

Luis Henrique out at next week's UFC 208; promotion needs heavyweight opponent for Marcin Tybura

Brazilian heavyweight Luis Henrique has been forced to withdraw from next week’s UFC 208 event, and the promotion is currently in need of a replacement opponent for Marcin Tybura.Filed under: News, U read news >>

Ex-champ Fabricio Werdum talks Dos Santos, title shot hopes and social media accusations

Former UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum still eyes a rematch against current titleholder Stipe Miocic, but welcomes scrap with fellow ex-champ and countryman Junior Dos Santos for the interim ti read news >>

Ronda Rousey Broken at UFC 193, According to Holly Holm's Coach

With Ronda Rousey's UFC future in question following consecutive losses, Holly Holm's coach expressed his belief that the formerly dominant star is done with fighting. In an interview this week with read news >>

UFC Performance Institute Hopes to Minimize Injuries, Advance Training Techniques | MMAWeekly.com

UFC recently unveiled irs newly constructed Performance Institute in Las Vegas. The enormous, 30,000 square foot facility was built to assist fighters. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC champ Max Holloway signs on for 'Den of Thieves' movie, hopes to be cleared next week

HOUSTON – UFC interim featherweight champion Max Holloway said he’s recovered after re-injuring his ankle at UFC 206, and he’s still gunning for undisputed champ Jose Aldo. Filed under: Featured Vide read news >>