#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Nick Diaz #GSP #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Pancrase #Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix 2017 #Demetrious Johnson #Fight Night Rotterdam

anderson-silva-55.jpgWhat prompted former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva to quickly change his tune about a rematch with new titleholder Chris Weidman? A little mental clarity.

Silva suffered a shocking second-round TKO loss to Weidman on July 6 at UFC 162. Immediately after the pay-per-view loss, which snapped Silva’s 17-fight win streak and his string of 10 consecutive UFC title defenses, the 38-year-old said he didn’t want a rematch and was done with title fights.

However, UFC President Dana White quickly promised the rematch would happen, and a week later, Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) vs. Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1 UFC) II was booked UFC 168 on Dec. 28.

So why the change?

“I was so sad with myself, with my lack of control on the moment, that I said some words that weren’t nice,” Silva recently told the Brazilian radio show “Mundo da Luta.” “I said that I wouldn’t fight for the title. But after I signed the contract (earlier in the year), Dana told me that he would give [me a rematch if I had lost the belt]. I was so out of myself that I didn’t think about it.”

Earlier this month in the heavily hyped title fight, Weidman caught Silva after the Brazilian had dropped his hands and taunted the challenger. Weidman connected on a left hook and then battered Silva with a few follow-up punches to score the victory.

According to Silva, the fact he lost the fight didn’t actually set in until referee Herb Dean raised Weidman’s arm after the bout.

“I lost my focus and made a technical mistake,” said Silva, who suggested his desire to put on a memorable performance superseded his goal to win. “It was one of the things that I left – the philosophy of the martial art –and it cost me the belt. I always fought with this felling of keeping the martial art philosophy and keeping the control of the situation – trying to be as calm as possible for me to keep the balance of the octagon, which is very hard to do.”

The game plan obviously led to some criticism, including some from Weidman, who could be seen on one camera apparently calling Silva a “disrespectful piece of s—” immediately after the stoppage. Even Silva fans complained and said the loss was more a matter of the Brazilian’s showboating than anything Weidman did.

Of course, all the drama has led to intrigue for the rematch, but it’s also put Silva in the crosshairs, which he said he understands.

“The criticism is valid, but I’m human,” he said. “I made a technical mistake, and it was good for me and for the people around me to learn. I had to be able to know that focus is always needed. I lost focus, and now I will get better.”

For the latest on UFC 168, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 8 months ago

Comments

Video: Ex-champ Anderson Silva, Kelvin Gastelum face off for UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva and Kelvin Gastelum face off for the first time ahead of UFC Fight Night 122 on Nov. 25. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Georges St-Pierre was Offered Anderson Silva Before Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

Though he is slated to challenge Michael Bisping at UFC 217, Georges St-Pierre had a possible bout with Anderson Silva in the offing. read news >>

UFC's 'Vegas Strong' T-shirts apparently are selling out quickly

If you want one of the UFC’ “Vegas Strong” T-shirts, you’re not alone.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Glad Anderson Silva's Name is No Longer by His for UFC Record | MMAWeekly.com

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson etched his name in the history books on Saturday night in Las Vegas. In the UFC 216 co-main event, he submitted Ray B read news >>

Gokhan Saki quickly booked again, meets Khalil Rountree at UFC 219

UFC matchmakers wasted no time booking Gokhan Saki for his second bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

John Moraga knew job was on the line, fought back tears after huge KO at UFC 216

When he had a three-fight skid, John Moraga was starting to have doubts about whether or not he should keep pursuing the UFC dream.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gokhan Saki Draws Khalil Rountree Jr. at UFC 219 in December | MMAWeekly.com

Kickboxing icon Gokhan Saki is wasting no time booking his next fight inside the Octagon as he faces Khalil Rountree Jr. on Dec. 30 at UFC 219. UFC officials announced the matchup on Monday. Saki was read news >>

Saki returns to face Rountree at UFC 219

Fresh from a spectacular UFC debut last month, kickboxing icon Gokhan Saki will look to make it two for two in the Octagon when he faces fellow striker Khalil Rountree Jr. in a UFC 219 bout at T-Mobi read news >>

UFC Signs New Beer Sponsor Following the End of Deal with Bud Light | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC has inked a multi-year, multi-million deal with Modelo Especial to serve as the official beer sponsor of the organization in the United States starting in 2018. The deal comes as the UFC's cu read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier apologizes to Anthony Johnson: 'The reality is, I was wrong'

A few days after stirring up a social media back-and-forth, UFC champion Daniel Cormier thinks he shouldn’t have called Anthony Johnson soft: “Not everybody should view competition like I do.”Filed u read news >>