#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Fight One #Cody Garbrandt #Nate Diaz #Rose Namajunas #Dustin Poirier

anderson-silva-55.jpgWhat prompted former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva to quickly change his tune about a rematch with new titleholder Chris Weidman? A little mental clarity.

Silva suffered a shocking second-round TKO loss to Weidman on July 6 at UFC 162. Immediately after the pay-per-view loss, which snapped Silva’s 17-fight win streak and his string of 10 consecutive UFC title defenses, the 38-year-old said he didn’t want a rematch and was done with title fights.

However, UFC President Dana White quickly promised the rematch would happen, and a week later, Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) vs. Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1 UFC) II was booked UFC 168 on Dec. 28.

So why the change?

“I was so sad with myself, with my lack of control on the moment, that I said some words that weren’t nice,” Silva recently told the Brazilian radio show “Mundo da Luta.” “I said that I wouldn’t fight for the title. But after I signed the contract (earlier in the year), Dana told me that he would give [me a rematch if I had lost the belt]. I was so out of myself that I didn’t think about it.”

Earlier this month in the heavily hyped title fight, Weidman caught Silva after the Brazilian had dropped his hands and taunted the challenger. Weidman connected on a left hook and then battered Silva with a few follow-up punches to score the victory.

According to Silva, the fact he lost the fight didn’t actually set in until referee Herb Dean raised Weidman’s arm after the bout.

“I lost my focus and made a technical mistake,” said Silva, who suggested his desire to put on a memorable performance superseded his goal to win. “It was one of the things that I left – the philosophy of the martial art –and it cost me the belt. I always fought with this felling of keeping the martial art philosophy and keeping the control of the situation – trying to be as calm as possible for me to keep the balance of the octagon, which is very hard to do.”

The game plan obviously led to some criticism, including some from Weidman, who could be seen on one camera apparently calling Silva a “disrespectful piece of s—” immediately after the stoppage. Even Silva fans complained and said the loss was more a matter of the Brazilian’s showboating than anything Weidman did.

Of course, all the drama has led to intrigue for the rematch, but it’s also put Silva in the crosshairs, which he said he understands.

“The criticism is valid, but I’m human,” he said. “I made a technical mistake, and it was good for me and for the people around me to learn. I had to be able to know that focus is always needed. I lost focus, and now I will get better.”

For the latest on UFC 168, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Anderson Silva Fights

• 9 months ago

Comments

Anderson Silva flagged for potential doping violation, pulled from UFC Fight Night 122

Anderson Silva has been notified of a potential violation of the UFC’s anti-doping policy and has been pulled from a planned UFC Fight Night 122 headliner with Kelvin Gastelum.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anderson Silva flagged for potential doping violation, pulled from fight with Kelvin Gastelum | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has been flagged for a potential doping violation from USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) and pulled from his upcoming fight against Kelvin Gaste read news >>

Anderson Silva Out of Kelvin Gastelum Fight After Possible Failed Drug Test

UFC announced Friday that Anderson Silva has been removed from his scheduled fight against Kelvin Gastelum at UFC Fight Night on Nov. 25 in Shanghai, China, due to a potential anti-doping policy viol read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping suffered one of the toughest losses of his UFC career at UFC 217, dropping the middleweight championship to Georges St-Pierre after getting choked out cold. So how is the Brit recover read news >>

Michael Bisping and Kelvin Gastelum UFC Shanghai Media Call | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) After Anderson Silva was pulled from the UFC Shanghai main event because of a potential anti-doping violation, Michael Bisping agreed to step into the fight with Kelvin Gastelum wit read news >>

Michael Bisping Replaces Anderson Silva at UFC Shanghai After Failed Drug Test

Michael Bisping Agrees to Replace Anderson Silva at UFC China | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping has agreed to step in for fellow former titleholder Anderson Silva at UFC Fight Night 122. Silva was slated to meet Kelvin Gastelum in the event's hea read news >>

Clay Guida Quickly Crushes Joe Lauzon (UFC Norfolk Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Clay Guida's crushing knockout of Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

Anderson Silva Defiant After Doping Violation Forced Him Off UFC Shanghai | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva issued his first comments since being flagged for a potential UFC Anti-Doping Policy violation. Silva was slated to meet Kelvin Gastelum on Nov. 25 in read news >>

Vitor Belfort vs. Uriah Hall now official for UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis

Vitor Belfort took the liberty of announcing his next fight booking, against Uriah Hall, a few weeks ago. Now it’s official.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>