In anticipation of UFC 168's year-end championship rematch between newly crowned middleweight champ Chris Weidman and former titleholder Anderson Silva, the UFC is launching a seven-day, seven-city media tour on Sept. 23.
Most of the events, which take place in the U.S. and Brazil, are free and open to fans.
The fighters headline UFC 168, a pay-per-view event that takes place Dec. 28 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) pulled off a shocking upset at UFC 162 in July, when he knocked out Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1 UFC), the former pound-for-pound king who ruled the division for nearly seven years.
UFC 168, which also features a title fight between “The Ultimate Fighter 18? coaches Ronda Rousey (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and Miesha Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC), could be the UFC’s biggest event of the year, so expect some serious promotional muscle to be flexed over the next few months.
The full tour schedule includes:
- Monday, Sept. 23: Los Angeles – UFC Gym in Torrance, 4 p.m. PT: Q&A with UFC President Dana White, Weidman and SIlva. Free and open to the public.
- Tuesday, Sept. 24: Las Vegas – MGM Grand main lobby, 11 a.m. PT: Press conference withWhite, Weidman and Silva. Free and open to the public, streamed live on UFC.com.
- Wednesday, Sept. 25: New York City – UFC Gym, 5 p.m. ET: Autograph signing with Weidman and Silva for the first 300 fans.
- Thursday, Sept. 26: Bristol, Conn. – ESPN Press Day
- Friday, Sept. 27: Miami – Klipsch Ampitheater at Bayfront Park, 1 p.m. ET: Open workout with Weidman and Silva. Free and open to the public.
- Sunday, Sept. 29: Rio de Janeiro – Clube dos Marimbás, 1 p.m. BRT: Q&A with White, Weidman and Silva. Free and open to the public.
- Monday, Sept. 30 – Sao Paulo – Press conference (location/details forthcoming) with White, Weidman and Silva. Streamed live on UFC.com.
(Pictured: Chris Weidman)view original article >>
What do you think of the new threads from Reebok?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
The UFC’s October return to Brazil includes two new matchups and four colorful nicknames.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Newly minted UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier thanked fans for their support and urged them not to beat up on Jon Jones for his failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Newly reinstated UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier couldn't be more grateful to his supporters, but he'd appreciate it if fans would lay off of Jon Jones. Cormier has been riding a roller read news >>
Newly crowned Invicta FC bantamweight champion Yana Kunitskaya won the previously vacant title on Aug. 31 by defeating Raquel Pa'aluhi. read news >>
Rustam Khabilov may have walked away with the win over Desmond Green on Saturday, but he wasn’t entirely happy with how things ended.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
MMAjunkie’s Mike Bohn plays matchmaker for the UFC Fight Night 115 main card winners from Rotterdam, Netherlands.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Abdul-Kerim Edilov made his UFC debut in Rotterdam on Saturday at UFC Fight Night 115, but his position in the inner circle of a violent, anti-gay dictator makes him a problematic pickup for the UFC. read news >>
Take an extended preview into UFC 215, which features the flyweight title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg and women's bantamweight title bout. read news >>