In anticipation of UFC 168's year-end championship rematch between newly crowned middleweight champ Chris Weidman and former titleholder Anderson Silva, the UFC is launching a seven-day, seven-city media tour on Sept. 23.
Most of the events, which take place in the U.S. and Brazil, are free and open to fans.
The fighters headline UFC 168, a pay-per-view event that takes place Dec. 28 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) pulled off a shocking upset at UFC 162 in July, when he knocked out Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1 UFC), the former pound-for-pound king who ruled the division for nearly seven years.
UFC 168, which also features a title fight between “The Ultimate Fighter 18? coaches Ronda Rousey (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and Miesha Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC), could be the UFC’s biggest event of the year, so expect some serious promotional muscle to be flexed over the next few months.
The full tour schedule includes:
- Monday, Sept. 23: Los Angeles – UFC Gym in Torrance, 4 p.m. PT: Q&A with UFC President Dana White, Weidman and SIlva. Free and open to the public.
- Tuesday, Sept. 24: Las Vegas – MGM Grand main lobby, 11 a.m. PT: Press conference withWhite, Weidman and Silva. Free and open to the public, streamed live on UFC.com.
- Wednesday, Sept. 25: New York City – UFC Gym, 5 p.m. ET: Autograph signing with Weidman and Silva for the first 300 fans.
- Thursday, Sept. 26: Bristol, Conn. – ESPN Press Day
- Friday, Sept. 27: Miami – Klipsch Ampitheater at Bayfront Park, 1 p.m. ET: Open workout with Weidman and Silva. Free and open to the public.
- Sunday, Sept. 29: Rio de Janeiro – Clube dos Marimbás, 1 p.m. BRT: Q&A with White, Weidman and Silva. Free and open to the public.
- Monday, Sept. 30 – Sao Paulo – Press conference (location/details forthcoming) with White, Weidman and Silva. Streamed live on UFC.com.
(Pictured: Chris Weidman)view original article >>
Newly crowned interim UFC lightweight champion Tony Ferguson was the top earner at Saturday’s UFC 216 event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
UFC lightweight and newly minted MMA analyst Paul Felder gives Tony Ferguson the edge over Kevin Lee at UFC 216 in part thanks to craziness.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson looks to make history on Saturday by setting the UFC record for most consecutive title defenses in the promotion's history. read news >>
UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Pay-Per-View streams LIVE via FITE TV, Saturday, Oct. 7, at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>
In the wake of the recent tragedy in Las Vegas, UFC has released special "Vegas Strong" t-shirts and is donating 100-percent of the profits. read news >>
UFC on FOX anchor Karyn Bryant looks back at the on-air beefs that built up Kevin Lee vs. Tony Ferguson at UFC 216.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>
Is Kevin Lee really ready for the elite of the elite in the UFC lightweight division? Questions will be answered at UFC 216. read news >>
Check out the fifth episode of the UFC’s “Embedded” series ahead of Saturday’s UFC 216 in Las Vegas.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
Go behind the scenes of the UFC 216 weigh-in, where Kevin Lee had to be granted an additional hour to make weight. read news >>
Beneil Dariush kicks off tonight’s UFC 216 pay-per-view main card, and Jon Tuck will be in his corner. The friendship has taught Tuck some tricks of the trade.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>