#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Yushin Okami #UFC Fight Night 83

HOUSTON – Hector Lombard’s debut at welterweight couldn’t have gone much better.

In quick fashion, the former Bellator middleweight champion shut down Nate Marquardt, the former Strikeforce welterweight champion, with a first-round knockout.

The welterweight bout was part of the preliminary card of today’s UFC 166 event at Toyota Center in Houston. It aired on FOX Sports 1 after additional prelims on Facebook and ahead of the pay-per-view main card.

Lombard stalked early as Marquardt circled outside. Marquardt tried to work some kicks to the body, but then Lombard chased him down. A little more than a minute in, the two tied up and each landed some heavy punches in close quarters before splitting apart.

And right after that, Lombard went to work in a scary way. He landed a right hand over the top, and Marquardt started moving backward. A right hand over the top was on the button, and a left hand came right behind that. He landed a left hand to finish things off, and Marquardt was done less than two minutes into the fight.

“I feel great. A few people doubted me that I could make 170, but I did it easier than when I was at 185,” Lombard said. “I think Dana White, Joe Silva, the rest of the UFC was right for me to cut down to 170 – I was wrong, and they were right.”

“He wanted this fight, he asked for this fight, so I did what I needed to do,” Lombard said. “He is a good fighter with a lot of fights in his career and was a champion in Strikeforce. He said he wanted to stand and trade, but he started backing up and I caught him. I wanted to make sure I finished him. I had a lot of motivation to do this.”

“It’s hard to say what happened this close after the fight,” Marquardt said. “I rocked him early on. He’s just a very good finisher – he had me hurt. I never really had that happen to me before. He fought great. He fought an in-shape, focused Nate Marquardt and won. I have no excuses.”

Lombard (33-4-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) is back in the win column after a split-decision loss to Yushin Okami in March and he’s back to even at 2-2 in the UFC. Marquardt (32-13-2 MMA, 10-6 UFC) now has lost three straight and two in a row by first-round knockout.

Up-to-the-minute UFC 166 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC 166, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan contributed to this report on-site in Houston.

Comments

UFC 215 weigh-in photos and video highlights: Title fight (no, not that one) is set

Check out the video highlights and photo gallery from today’s early and official UFC 215 fighter weigh-ins, where the headlining title fight was cleared.Filed under: News, Photo Gallery, UFC read news >>

The bloody Jessica Andrade-Claudia Gadelha fight at UFC-Japan gave us incredible photos

• a day ago

Jessica Andrade and Claudia Gadelha gave us the “Fight of the Night” at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 weigh-in photos with the return of Luke Rockhold in Pittsburgh

Check out our exclusive photo gallery from today’s early and official UFC Fight Night 116 weigh-ins, at which the headlining fight was cleared.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey, Travis Browne Wedding: Attendees, Photos and Details%26#65279;

UFC fighter Travis Browne shared a photo from his wedding ceremony with fellow UFC star Ronda Rousey on Saturday in Hawaii. The couple became engaged in April. This article will be updated to provide read news >>

Why UFC-Pittsburgh's Anthony Smith views Hector Lombard fight as 'no-win situation'

Anthony Smith thinks Hector Lombard is the most recognizable name he’s ever faced, but it’s still not the fight he wanted: “His reputation is far greater than he is right now.”Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

UFC 215 ceremonial weigh-in photos and video highlights: Replacement main event ready to shine

EDMONTON – Check out the video highlights and photo gallery from today’s ceremonial UFC 215 fighter weigh-ins, where an updated 11-fight card took to the stage for the fans.Filed under: Featured, New read news >>

Anthony Smith Continues Hector Lombard’s Downward Spiral (UFC Pittsburgh Fight Highlights)

What slow start? Lionheart with the finish against Lombard! #UFCPittsburgh — FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) September 17, 2017 (Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Anthony Smith starts slow but blasts Hector Lombard in 3rd

Anthony Smith didn’t exactly inspire for the opening two rounds of his clash with Hector Lombard, but he turned it on in the third.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

The photos are in: Ex-UFC champ Ronda Rousey, Travis Browne get married in Hawaii

The most dominant women’s champion in UFC history has been off the market for a while, and on Saturday, she made it official. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Per Häljestam's best photos from UFC Fight Night 115 in Rotterdam

Check out Per Häljestam’s best photos from Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 115 event in the Netherlands.Filed under: Featured, News, Photo Gallery, UFC read news >>